ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #7846
kindofblue
Ride it like you stole it
 
kindofblue's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Albuquerque NM
Oddometer: 822
Thumb Jesse bags available April 15

http://www.jesseluggage.com

I have a set of panniers from my Explorer and they're same as what'll go on the new GS so I'm only in line for the luggage mounts.

No affiliation with the company. Just a satisfied customer.
__________________
Doc Reid
2013 GS LC Red (the fastest color )
Wondering about your drinking? www.drinkerscheckup.com
Get saddlesore when riding? Check these shorts out

kindofblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:08 PM   #7847
kindofblue
Ride it like you stole it
 
kindofblue's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Albuquerque NM
Oddometer: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxReving View Post
Headlight protector, item no. 77 51 8 529 214, approx. 100 Euro (in Europe) or 100 USD (in the US).

Max :-)
Thanks!
__________________
Doc Reid
2013 GS LC Red (the fastest color )
Wondering about your drinking? www.drinkerscheckup.com
Get saddlesore when riding? Check these shorts out

kindofblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:10 PM   #7848
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin
 
oalvarez's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: CA HWY 2
Oddometer: 2,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post

On the old model, putting the money ESA costs toward an aftermarket suspension that is built for your weight and riding style made the bike much better. I did not do that on the GS, but rode one with front/rear Öhlins and it was a big difference - I was surprised how compliant a GS suspension could be when done properly.
been there, done that.....agree wholeheartedly, but for many, the ESA is good enough. i would not prefer a non-ESA suspended GS UNLESS an aftermarket suspension was being considered.
__________________
2012 Vespa 300 Super
past: Ducatis, Aprilias, Moto Guzzis, a Husky, KTM 1290 SDR, and some BMWs as well.
oalvarez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #7849
mrjon
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Peak District. UK
Oddometer: 120
ESA was passive, the new DYNAMIC ESA is semi active, there's a world of difference, no comparison at all.
The ride quality on the GS with D-ESA is just sublime.
__________________
Future..on order-BMW GSA LC,
Present..BMW R1200GS LC, K1200R-SPORT, R1200S,HP4
Past.. BMW R1150GSA,R1200GSA,R1200GS,R1200RT,K1600GT
mrjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #7850
Farkleberry
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Farkleberry's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Cupertino, CA
Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
I've not noticed particularly bad welds on my bike. Even if they are big, at least the bike won't fall apart
Can you share a picture?
Farkleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:33 PM   #7851
Gun Smoke
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racegun View Post
I agree! While ESA is nice and it works when new, one has to wonder how long before they need to be rebuilt. Seems like I remember there were BMW ESA type suspension in the past that WAS NOT REBUILDABLE!

Think about it. Shocks on ANY motor vehicle are moving a great deal, all of the time the machine is rolling. Truly those moving parts take a BEATING more so than internal engine parts. The internal parts are lubricated by the same oil. Unlike an Engine, shock oil is seldom if ever changed ( these days...not yesteryear) As parts wear...and they WILL, the internal lubricant will become more contaminated. The more contaminated, the faster the wear. Granted it will take time, maybe years. It is not a matter of if, but WHEN! I would prefer a good set of - - - - - ( pick your flavor) ( me...wilburs or Ohlins cause that is what I know.

OTOH, most folks don't keep bikes long enough to worry about this. They seem to gravitate to buying the latest and greatest. It is all good either way.

However when one compares STOCK to Wilbers or Ohlins ... you think you are riding an entirely different M/C
After 67,000 trouble free miles and for no good reason I replaced the stock suspension on my 12GS with the Ohlins. What a waste of money and now the Ohlins have been rebuilt after only 17,000 miles. I should have left well enough alone. I could tell a little difference but it certainly wasn't life changing. Other than stock panniers and a tankbag the Ohlins were the only farkle to ever be installed on my GS and I regret it.

My 2001 1150GS had 82,000 miles when I sold it. The stock suspension was fine. I'm about as average build as you can get. 180#'s and 6' tall. When touring I can fit everything I carry in the three stock panniers (maybe 35#'s I've never weighed it).

That said I rode the demo LC a week ago and it's the finest motorcycle I've ever had the pleasure of throwing a leg over. My brother rides a 12 Multi which I thought couldn't be improved upon until I rode the LC. It is sublime.

For anyone who is new to this forum and happens upon this thread. I know after some reading you may get the impression the LC GS is the worst motorcycle ever built and will certainly fall to pieces in under a year. I don't know why there is so much complaining but it is what it is. If you're reading this know that the complaining done here is completely unjustified and done mostly by folks who've only seen pictures of the bike. The same thing was done when the 12GS came out. It was the worst motorcycle ever to roll down tarmac and anyone who bought one was sure rue the day they ever took delivery. My 12GS like the 1150 before it has been the finest bike I've ever owned and absolutely trouble free after a combined 160,000 miles. My 1150 is still out there riding with a new owner.

I don't know why but this forum in particular is the most whining and quibbling bunch for some/no reason. It never fails. Some new technological tour-de-force is released and invariably before it hits the showroom floor it's the worst thing ever built. At the same time a rattle trap KLR650 that's knocking like a Jehovah Witness is god's gift to mankind.
Gun Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:35 PM   #7852
marchyman
Cam Killer
 
marchyman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Oddometer: 6,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serp View Post
but my tankbag is ready for pickup.
I'm curious what you think of it after you've had a chance to use it for a while. I haven't seen one save the small pictures found on the web that don't show much.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:07 PM   #7853
NLS
My bike needs washing...
 
NLS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: GREECE!
Oddometer: 3,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Smoke View Post
...
What he said.

Except maybe that this is the worse forum in this regard (whining). I don't agree. I can name you one more well known supposedly dedicated to GS that is far worse.

Also a couple of my local moto fora.

It's funny how GS gives birth to this. I've been in plenty of moto fora (model specific or not) and haven't seen this done for any other brand (and model specifically). It's like they feel the Heavens told some people to save other people from the disaster GS is.

Well some people (about 170k of them last time I checked on the last GS) don't want to be saved.

__________________
NLS
My Blog
When the going gets tough, the tough get going...
NLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #7854
EJ_92606
Rider
 
EJ_92606's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Smoke View Post
After 67,000 trouble free miles and for no good reason I replaced the stock suspension on my 12GS with the Ohlins. What a waste of money and now the Ohlins have been rebuilt after only 17,000 miles. I should have left well enough alone. I could tell a little difference but it certainly wasn't life changing. Other than stock panniers and a tankbag the Ohlins were the only farkle to ever be installed on my GS and I regret it.

My 2001 1150GS had 82,000 miles when I sold it. The stock suspension was fine. I'm about as average build as you can get. 180#'s and 6' tall. When touring I can fit everything I carry in the three stock panniers (maybe 35#'s I've never weighed it).

That said I rode the demo LC a week ago and it's the finest motorcycle I've ever had the pleasure of throwing a leg over. My brother rides a 12 Multi which I thought couldn't be improved upon until I rode the LC. It is sublime.

For anyone who is new to this forum and happens upon this thread. I know after some reading you may get the impression the LC GS is the worst motorcycle ever built and will certainly fall to pieces in under a year. I don't know why there is so much complaining but it is what it is. If you're reading this know that the complaining done here is completely unjustified and done mostly by folks who've only seen pictures of the bike. The same thing was done when the 12GS came out. It was the worst motorcycle ever to roll down tarmac and anyone who bought one was sure rue the day they ever took delivery. My 12GS like the 1150 before it has been the finest bike I've ever owned and absolutely trouble free after a combined 160,000 miles. My 1150 is still out there riding with a new owner.

I don't know why but this forum in particular is the most whining and quibbling bunch for some/no reason. It never fails. Some new technological tour-de-force is released and invariably before it hits the showroom floor it's the worst thing ever built. At the same time a rattle trap KLR650 that's knocking like a Jehovah Witness is god's gift to mankind.
So you came to the whiners board to whine about the whiners and then you caught the disease yourself and started whining about your Ohlins
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:18 PM   #7855
Racegun
Single Track Mind!
 
Racegun's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: 40ft above sea level
Oddometer: 2,547
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Smoke View Post
After 67,000 trouble free miles and for no good reason I replaced the stock suspension on my 12GS with the Ohlins. What a waste of money and now the Ohlins have been rebuilt after only 17,000 miles. I should have left well enough alone. I could tell a little ...difference but it certainly wasn't life changing. Other than stock panniers and a tankbag the Ohlins were the only farkle to ever be installed on my GS and I regret it...........................For anyone who is new to this forum and happens upon this thread. I know after some reading you may get the impression the LC GS is the worst like a Jehovah Witness is god's gift to mankind.
Kind sir...I take umbrage to your statement. I was answering Tau's post (Originally Posted by tau
I can see that still nobody has answered my questions; therefore I'm asking you another one: would you buy it / order it without ESA?

Please explain your reply. Just to be frank with you guys, I'm willing to order it without ESA, as:)


He asked a legitimate question. I did my best to give him an honest answer.
I DID NOT BERATE the new GS. I only pointed out facts about shocks that are the FREAKING TRUTH! If your experience w/ Ohlins was unsatisfactory that is on you and who ever set up your shocks. Thousands of Ohlins owners can not be wrong. I have indeed heard of poor performing Ohlins and others as well.

Don't make me let loose my flying monkeys. They are cajun and not very patient

Let me make this perfectly clear. I realy like and respect the New GS. Is it perfect no. Will it ever break down... yes at some point. WILL ESA shocks be damn expensive to fix?...Yes with out question. They may in fact not be repairable. Shouldn't I be allowed to say these things to TAU?

ALL BIKE suffer this malady. THey are machines that are man made. GOT IT? GOOD!

.....besides.......didn't i say "It is all Good" at the end? It is all good, the new GS is a great bike. The cost of admission is an unknown. It always was and always will be. I have been riding / owning GS's ( and many other makes and models) since the R75/5 and R80. None were perfect. If anything BMW is fraught with little-bitty problems. I can fix every damn one of them too. Whining oh hell no.. trying to be helpful....ubetcha!

Racegun screwed with this post 04-01-2013 at 04:36 PM Reason: complete thought
Racegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:45 PM   #7856
Racegun
Single Track Mind!
 
Racegun's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: 40ft above sea level
Oddometer: 2,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjon View Post
ESA was passive, the new DYNAMIC ESA is semi active, there's a world of difference, no comparison at all.
The ride quality on the GS with D-ESA is just sublime.
I have ridden one... it is the "shiz-nit". VERY NICE
Racegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:56 PM   #7857
Gun Smoke
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
So you came to the whiners board to whine about the whiners and then you caught the disease yourself and started whining about your Ohlins
And then you showed up to whine about me whining about the whiners which resulted in this post which you will undoubtedly interpret as me whining about your whining about my whining?? Which by your logic one could extrapolate that every response is a whine....
Gun Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:04 PM   #7858
Farang Paul
A Late Convert
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Krabi, Thailand
Oddometer: 14
Whining forums

I'm new to this forum (my LC GS is due in June)

If you want whining and flaming try the Harley forums - especially those specialising in XL models which are always sneered at by the big-twin (real) Harley owners.

We ride because we are passionate about bikes, passion brings emotion and forums bring together people who are very emotional about their own bike brand and model. This leads to a certain defensiveness that nothing could be better than their bike.

This forum has been a wealth of information and has helped me greatly to choose the spec for my new bike.(Very important as I have to pay a fortune for an imported bike here in Thailand!)

You just have to sift out and ignore the emotion to look for facts and knowledgeable opinion - of which there appears to be plenty. My thanks to those that have shared their knowledge and helped me.
Farang Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:07 PM   #7859
twinrider
pass the catnip
 
twinrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: 日本
Oddometer: 9,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Smoke View Post
After 67,000 trouble free miles and for no good reason I replaced the stock suspension on my 12GS with the Ohlins. What a waste of money and now the Ohlins have been rebuilt after only 17,000 miles. I should have left well enough alone. I could tell a little difference but it certainly wasn't life changing. Other than stock panniers and a tankbag the Ohlins were the only farkle to ever be installed on my GS and I regret it.

My 2001 1150GS had 82,000 miles when I sold it. The stock suspension was fine. I'm about as average build as you can get. 180#'s and 6' tall. When touring I can fit everything I carry in the three stock panniers (maybe 35#'s I've never weighed it).

That said I rode the demo LC a week ago and it's the finest motorcycle I've ever had the pleasure of throwing a leg over. My brother rides a 12 Multi which I thought couldn't be improved upon until I rode the LC. It is sublime.

For anyone who is new to this forum and happens upon this thread. I know after some reading you may get the impression the LC GS is the worst motorcycle ever built and will certainly fall to pieces in under a year. I don't know why there is so much complaining but it is what it is. If you're reading this know that the complaining done here is completely unjustified and done mostly by folks who've only seen pictures of the bike. The same thing was done when the 12GS came out. It was the worst motorcycle ever to roll down tarmac and anyone who bought one was sure rue the day they ever took delivery. My 12GS like the 1150 before it has been the finest bike I've ever owned and absolutely trouble free after a combined 160,000 miles. My 1150 is still out there riding with a new owner.

I don't know why but this forum in particular is the most whining and quibbling bunch for some/no reason. It never fails. Some new technological tour-de-force is released and invariably before it hits the showroom floor it's the worst thing ever built. At the same time a rattle trap KLR650 that's knocking like a Jehovah Witness is god's gift to mankind.

Executive summary:



twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:10 PM   #7860
Gun Smoke
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racegun View Post
Kind sir...I'm asking you another one: would you buy it / order it without ESA?

Please explain your reply. Just to be frank with you guys, I'm willing to order it without ESA, as:)[/COLOR]


I only pointed out facts about shocks that are the FREAKING TRUTH!
I would buy it with the ESA. Explanation: I like technology. I like buttons and gizmos. I'm confident in the longevity of a servo which is all that is required to adjust a shock on the fly.

I disagree with the facts you pointed out about shocks however. Modern shocks are extremely durable. It's been my experience that shocks on BMW brand motorcycles last more than 100K. After that in the future I will certainly replace with OEM even though they cost a little (without esa oem are a few hundred US$ more) more than Ohlins. The cost of ownership is much less.
Gun Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014