Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 06:25 PM   #2176
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
Now onto a video actually including a TR650.
Not sure the bias of the guys in the video, but it was a surprising outcome. Pretty strong endorsement of the Strada, at least according to those guys. I still say that anybody sitting on the fence on these bikes that misses their chance to buy may be regretting it for awhile.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:04 PM   #2177
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,320
Interesting comparison of a street bike to a dual sport. The conclusion that they can co-exist is vidicated by their differences.

Compare a dual sport to a dual sport: TR650 vs. 690e and the difference will be components and price. The TR is smoother. The 690e is more athletic. With a large price difference, I believe that these two can also continue to co-exist.

It will be interesting to see what happens at Husqvarna this next year.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:17 AM   #2178
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
Not sure the bias of the guys in the video, but it was a surprising outcome. Pretty strong endorsement of the Strada, at least according to those guys. I still say that anybody sitting on the fence on these bikes that misses their chance to buy may be regretting it for awhile.
I'd say that Motorcyclist Magazine (that's where they're from) is using this video to push KTM into keep the TR650 alive in the lineup; basically saying they would be stupid to kill it off.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:20 AM   #2179
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,641
That was a pretty well done video. They touched on all the pertinent bases. I think they're typically more sport/performance biased. The Strada sounds like a great do all bike.
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:35 PM   #2180
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
I'd say that Motorcyclist Magazine (that's where they're from) is using this video to push KTM into keep the TR650 alive in the lineup; basically saying they would be stupid to kill it off.
hopefully sales numbers will support the Strada ... and Terra. If Pierer/KTM ignore sales results ... well, that would be stupid.

To me it also illustrates well that KTM have a lot of work to do in building a smooth, civilized ... and reliable street single. Sounds like the Terra/Strada are a nice step UP the evolutionary ladder ... about 10 steps above KTM. The Motorcyclist boys rang both bikes out ... and found the KTM wanting.

NO KTM Duke has ever sold very well in the USA. I owned TWO Dukes. This was a Euro bike concept that didn't quite translate this side of the pond.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:39 PM   #2181
bhorocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
and here I am considering dropping my 950se for a 690 or 650... Cant make the decision... I like going fast.. thats my problem but want to drop some weight off the 950 and think the se is just overkill on dirt. great when you get to the street though.
bhorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:47 AM   #2182
dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 577
Interesting points in the video, as everything I have read previously (and I haven't ridden either bike) has described the KTM 690 as smooth, at least in the Duke application. And the engine, plus pricing, seemed to be what tipped the scales towards the Husky in that review. KTM can change features and pricing, but they can't do much about the motor in the short term, and I assume they can't/won't continue using the BMW motor. So even if the continue to offer a TR-like bike, it will be different.

-dman
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:54 AM   #2183
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman View Post
Interesting points in the video, as everything I have read previously (and I haven't ridden either bike) has described the KTM 690 as smooth, at least in the Duke application. And the engine, plus pricing, seemed to be what tipped the scales towards the Husky in that review. KTM can change features and pricing, but they can't do much about the motor in the short term, and I assume they can't/won't continue using the BMW motor. So even if the continue to offer a TR-like bike, it will be different.

-dman
The 690 is actually pretty smooth around 4K RPM. Way better than earlier 640 motors. Go to higher revs and it becomes vibey, no fun on a fast highway.

If you review what the boys said you may pick up on a couple other things: They referred to the "quick revving" nature of the KTM, constant shifting compared to the Strada ... the guy said he hardly had to shift on the Strada.

Both these elements further separate the KTM from the Husky ... for the average rider. A quick revving motor that must be constantly shifted is not the most mellow street or dual sport bike. The 690 still is, at heart, a race bike ... and that is why I SOLD both of mine.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #2184
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,741
There may be a Terra or Strada once this sale is complete but to keep thinking it is goin to include a BMW owned engine is wishful thinking.

BMW owns the design. Good old Peirre has stated his plan, Loncin has stated its contract with BMW and BMW is not going to give a competitor an engine that competes with its own bike.

It is a great bike. Get them while you can. There is no 10 year promise of parts. The best you have in the US is covered by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act. 1 year.

The Moss unit is proprietary to BMW.

Bottom line is if you buy one, I would do it throught a BMW dealer. They have Moss and probably an inventory of parts that are unique to this model.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:37 PM   #2185
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
Strada for me, now to find a dealer,,, probably 'Vegas.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #2186
klxmack
king of the box

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
There may be a Terra or Strada once this sale is complete but to keep thinking it is goin to include a BMW owned engine is wishful thinking.

BMW owns the design. Good old Peirre has stated his plan, Loncin has stated its contract with BMW and BMW is not going to give a competitor an engine that competes with its own bike.

It is a great bike. Get them while you can. There is no 10 year promise of parts. The best you have in the US is covered by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act. 1 year.

The Moss unit is proprietary to BMW.

Bottom line is if you buy one, I would do it throught a BMW dealer. They have Moss and probably an inventory of parts that are unique to this model.

You can now by a Powercommander and an Auto tune module and forget about Moss tuning altogether.

Cheers
3. My bike and its owner are faster than yours.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=klxmack
klxmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:25 PM   #2187
mario33
Howling around...

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by klxmack View Post
You can now buy a Powercommander and an Auto tune module and forget about Moss tuning altogether.
Unfortunately not quite... You surely needs that to clear 'service' indication and, much more importantly, possible 'error codes'. Sometimes, like in the case of dreaded 'EWS' if you dont do that - you just cannot start the motor (ECU prevents until error is cleared).

However, bike is still kept serviceable by Husky, MOSS tool works and parts are going through....
Old 04-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #2188
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Maybe, I do not know enough to comment. What I learned from my BMW dealer was, that Moss was never made to just accomodate Husqvarna bikes.

It has all the software and fixes for all BMW bikes, so it is not going anyware according to my dealer, whether they continue Husqvarna or not.

Until the papers are signed, Husqvarna is still a BMW bike. In the US under Federal law the manufacture must provide service and parts for the length of the warranty. So the post about turning all that over to Pierre may be difficult to apply. I doubt every Husqvarna dealer has a Moss unit and doubt BMW will sell them one after the sale is complete to Pierre.

If you look on the net and exclude motorcycle forums, Pierre has said a lot publicly.

One thing I did not know was he had been bargaining with BMW starting in 10/12. He disagreed with the lineup of bikes and stated Husqvarna was losing 20,000,000 Euro a year because of it. I do not think it coincindental that BMW renewed their license agreement with Loncin in 10/12 to prohibit them from selling to anyone other than BMW or for internal Loncin use.

It ain't the end of the world, in fact it may be an opportunity. Nothing that unusual about the bike except for modifications to the engine and software. The more I find out, the more I believe that at least BMW dealers that sell Husqvarna may have access to parts. Wether there is warranty coverage is another issue.

itsatdm screwed with this post 04-04-2013 at 08:34 PM
itsatdm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:08 AM   #2189
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
Okay, now yur scaring me. BMW of Las Vegas has both Ts and Ss in stock,,, and they show the MSRP price. Could have one in a month or so if the all else works out. But don't wanna buy new something that won't be supported. Keep me posted.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:30 AM   #2190
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

First of all the dealer can probably supply better info than me. Although as a couple of weeks ago mine was in the dark like everyone else. Pierrer did say he would have a plan for Husqvarna after Easter and promises some bikes by November. Whether he plans to share that is unknown.

Even if it turns out to be an orphan bike, it does not mean all is lost. A good deal of it is based on the G650. The upper end is unique but consist of hard parts. How many times have you damaged a head, cams or piston?

The electronics/ ECU concerned me because they are unique to this model. If the dealer assured me that the mapping and software would be available on the Moss unit, I would not worry about it too much.

I expect a big dealer shake out over this. Mine was told by KTM that they would not allow him to keep Husqvarna without carrying the entire KTM line of bikes. That may be unique to our area as there are no KTM dealers within 90 miles but does bring up the possibility that BMW dealers won't be able to keep the marque. So much for the seperation between Pierrer's personal purchase and KTM. He does own both you know.

itsatdm screwed with this post 04-04-2013 at 10:57 AM
itsatdm is online now   Reply With Quote