User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 04:22 AM   #1
bart-nz OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 680
RRRR New Zealand

For the last few years I've been organising the annual Round Ruahine Range Ride. The Ruahine's are a mountain range making up part of the back bone of the North Island in New Zealand.

The 2013 installment was held last weekend. The route is fairly loose and changes every year, but the ultimate goal is to complete a lap of the mountain range over 2 days, using the worst possible roads.

We started in my home town of Dannevirke. The first mishap happened within 30 seconds, when 2 bikes took the wrong turn (within sight of the start point). While I was chasing them down, the others continued past the second turn just out of town. Herding cats springs to mind. After a few minutes, we got everyone back on track, and hit a few gravel roads towards the coast.

We rode a long section of beach and everyone let off a little steam.

Gav practicing donuts on his DR

Wheelys

Spills

As you can see we had some amazing weather

We reached the end of the beach and found a bunch of kids blasting around on little puddle jumpers.

The temptation...

Wade on the 530 trying to out drag a girl on a....ummm....is that an 80?

The competition was fierce. The little fellas weren't giving up without a fight.

Number 7 was a particularly tough caracter. The jacket says it all...

After a few laps, we had to give in to the young ones. They were just too quick for us old guys. With that, we left the beach and headed inland (before their parents got pissed off and chased us out of town).

We gassed up and had lunch in Waipawa. Wade then took us around a few farms in the local area. The view was stunning.

Early autumn here and it's been a very dry summer.

Yes, that looks a bit like a motorcross track down there

I'm pretty sure Gav has done this sort of thing before. He was getting progressively faster and faster, to the stage I thought the old DR would shit itself.

Those DR's must be tough

Bags, fuel can...the works

Marty wasn't far behind on the 690

Suspension...who needs it

From there, we continued on to a large feild where for some reason they'd been stripping off the topsoil and mounding it up.

Wade having a play around

Gav practising his berms

Some of the crew went home, only doing the one dayer. The rest of us headed back to civilization for gas and beer. Once sorted, off into the hills again. Deep in the Kaweka ranges.

It was getting late by now so we headed for the campsite at some hot springs. This is a free 'department of conservation' campsite.

Gav with a home made cooker made out of beer cans and some meths. Quite effective once it got hot enough

There's a bit of thermal activity in the area and hot water runs down a small stream out of the hillside. This hot water is channeled though a couple of fibreglass tubs.

It was too freaking hot for me. These guys lasted about 5 minutes before they looked like cooked lobsters.

A tin of beans, a few beers, talked some bullshit to some other bikers that happened to be there, then it was off to bed. It's been a while since I've slept on the ground, so it wasn't my best nights sleep.

More to come.

bart-nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:52 AM   #2
bart-nz OP
Studly Adventurer

RRRR day 2

Day 2 started cool. There was fog and light frost on the tents.

Magic spot

Mohaka River

The only sign of civilization, a lone vapour trail.

My beast all loaded up

Yep, the rest of us were all packed...but...at least he had his tent packed up.

We had about a 40 minute ride to a river where we were to meet some others. To save going an extra 50 km loop to get on the Napier Taihape road, we had to cross it.

Robin, showing us how it's really done on the little 200

From here we went over the Gentle Annie. This was quite a notorius piece of road a few years ago, bit a lot of the fun has been lost now the whole length has been sealed. However we explored some side tracks.

then headed along some awesome back roads towards Taihape. Very scenic bridge place.

with ample mud fish, sorry, trout

From there. we lunched in Taihape. A few more riders made there way home. The remainder rode the back roads to Apiti, then took a look up Takapari road. It was a little hazy, but the scenary was stunning as usual.

Wade's bike had suddenly morfed from a KTM to a KLR overnight.

Robin

Ross

Robin, trying to get me on the other side of the lens

From there it was the long haul home. A fantastic couple of days riding with some awesome people. Cheers guys.

Now, to start planning next years RRRR...

picture of the weekend

Old 03-29-2013, 04:03 PM   #3
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,705
great photos as usual

I actually left home early on Saturday morning with the intention of joining up for the Saturday loop but first I had to find a service station to bead my new rear tire. It took me four different stops before I found one that went above 60psi. So by the time I got to Woodville it was already 9.30 and I didn't know what your route was so I gave up and went to Ashurst for a cuppa then up to Taumanarui for the night.

I actually went past Takapari Rd on Sunday about 7pm - what time were you guys up there?

Cheers

Mark
Old 03-29-2013, 04:03 PM   #4
jmcg
Turpinated..

Oddometer: 434
Great ride and pics!

Thanks,

JM.
jmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:52 PM   #5
1Waipukbiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Awesome pics as usual mate, Really enjoyed the ride on Sunday, Places I havnt seen before and another reminder of how lucky we are to live in a country that is made for adventure riding.

Cheers
1Waipukbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:38 PM   #6
rodmuzwa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Fantastic post mate. Great photos too. You guys are lucky to have that countryside available to you. It really is beautiful over there. Reminds me a little of Scotland, but you have much better weather.
Impressed by the kids down at the beach too. Over here the Shire Rangers go ballistic if the bikes aren't road legal and the rider licensed. Stops the kids from having fun. I love Australia but it really is over-regulated! Alway's have to keep an eye out for the Fun Police!
Old 03-29-2013, 11:26 PM   #7
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,320
Beautiful scenery!

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:30 AM   #8
gav24
On tour in France

Oddometer: 8
Great pics, nah AWESOME pics as usual Bart!
Thanks for making me pic of the trip as well. That soft top soil was just made for throwing around a bit!
Shit I love my DR! She's a good ol' gal, always up for a bit of fun!
She even manages to play when I load her up with fuel cans, tents, and bags!
gav24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:49 AM   #9
bart-nz OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
great photos as usual

I actually left home early on Saturday morning with the intention of joining up for the Saturday loop but first I had to find a service station to bead my new rear tire. It took me four different stops before I found one that went above 60psi. So by the time I got to Woodville it was already 9.30 and I didn't know what your route was so I gave up and went to Ashurst for a cuppa then up to Taumanarui for the night.

I actually went past Takapari Rd on Sunday about 7pm - what time were you guys up there?

Cheers

Mark
Sad bugger. You should have given me a ring beforehand and you could've caught up along the way somewhere. It was an awesome cruisy ride. You would have loved it. You would have loved the camping too. I know how much you like roughing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Waipukbiker View Post
Awesome pics as usual mate, Really enjoyed the ride on Sunday, Places I havnt seen before and another reminder of how lucky we are to live in a country that is made for adventure riding.

Cheers
Yeah, we sure are lucky. There are some amazing places to ride when you start exploring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodmuzwa View Post
Fantastic post mate. Great photos too. You guys are lucky to have that countryside available to you. It really is beautiful over there. Reminds me a little of Scotland, but you have much better weather.
Impressed by the kids down at the beach too. Over here the Shire Rangers go ballistic if the bikes aren't road legal and the rider licensed. Stops the kids from having fun. I love Australia but it really is over-regulated! Alway's have to keep an eye out for the Fun Police!
Yeah, I was rapt to see those kids going hard out. The parents were actually encouraging us to join in, even though we were roosting the crap out of the poor little guys (and girls). I couldn't stop laughing, especially at the cool kid going hard out with the denim jacket. Great fun.

Old 03-30-2013, 01:52 AM   #10
bart-nz OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gav24 View Post
Great pics, nah AWESOME pics as usual Bart!
Thanks for making me pic of the trip as well. That soft top soil was just made for throwing around a bit!
Shit I love my DR! She's a good ol' gal, always up for a bit of fun!
She even manages to play when I load her up with fuel cans, tents, and bags!
Chears Gav. I came home with 540 photos. I think 440 were of you. It seemed to be the Gav show, but that's what happens when you ham it up for the camera. Awesome.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:26 AM   #11
Dino3310
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
awesome Bart fantastic mate.
good to see the DRs getting a bit of whats for
have to get down there for one of your rides....fantastic piece off country you got down there
Dino3310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:18 PM   #12
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,704
Nice work again Bart. Might make it to both days next year
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:37 PM   #13
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 579
Makes me homesick!

I have heard news reports of the drought; your photos put it in perspective. It must be a difficult time for farmers..... and their livestock, of which I don't think there is a single beast pictured.

Still, seeing the NZ countryside, and your ride through it makes me wish I was back in Godzone. I had been planning on a return, but am coming under pressure to stay on where I am for another term.

"Who's going to teach the first year students the right way to study if you go"....... in other words, "who is going to be the hatchet man to get them to shape up or ship off".