User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 05:55 PM   #91
notrivia OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Kudos's to you Kenny!

In the clutch of controversy, when simple facts would seem to elucidate a principal, it is always surprising if not beguileing, that cynicism and derision inhibit the search for a solution. Thankyou for making the case for the seriousness of this issue.

Let us hope my e-mails to EK, Regina, and Suzuki may shed some light on this matter.

It really comes down to a simple matter: who makes an honest chain?
notrivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:58 PM   #92
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,306
Please keep us informed of their response, After todays spirited ride I had to add 5 clicks on my snails and only have about another 10 left

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:07 PM   #93
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty in all View Post
I know it adds to the cost of new chains but what Im thinking about doing is buying 4 or 5 master links with my next new chain. Then shortening the chain when newly installed, then as the chain stretches Ill cut out a couple stretched links, add a couple of the previously trimed new links and a master link to reconnect. This way it will always be in the shortest of adjustments and Ill get the full stretch out of my chain. I think the chain will even last longer because the newer links will be starting thier stretch cycle in a delayed sequence. The only extra cost really will be the initial puchase of the extra master links but I can just keep those when buying the next chain and repeat from there. Might even save a few bucks by prolonging wear/stretch.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:26 PM   #94
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
I'm very surprised to see your cynicism in this most important discussion when it appears you were a victim of a half worn chain problem yourself
Half worn? The teeth on the contershaft sprocket are hooked... I'd think that chain will be well beyond 5% stretch.

Replacing sections of worn chain with new does nothing for safety nor ware on sprockets... replace the chain - all of it when worn.

---------------

Kenny - when the chain starts to go ..it will go rapidly ... replace your chain (and probably sprockets) NOW. Don't wait.

-----------------------
If you want to save money ... replace the chain when only part worn - the sprockets will still be good. When that chain is again part worn - put the old chain back on .. and continue cycling the chains... this way you get more miles from your sprockets. Unfortunaly this is too difficult with "end less" chains - master links are the way to go here .. replace the master links every now and then as a safety measure.
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:35 PM   #95
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

E] the hooked sprocket would not cause the chain to break. And its pretty simple to understand his chain would not have broken at that time if it wasnt purchased with the pins undersized a few thousands of an inc

Old 04-01-2013, 06:51 PM   #96
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warin View Post
Half worn? The teeth on the contershaft sprocket are hooked... I'd think that chain will be well beyond 5% stretch.

Replacing sections of worn chain with new does nothing for safety nor ware on sprockets... replace the chain - all of it when worn.

---------------

Kenny - when the chain starts to go ..it will go rapidly ... replace your chain (and probably sprockets) NOW. Don't wait.

-----------------------
If you want to save money ... replace the chain when only part worn - the sprockets will still be good. When that chain is again part worn - put the old chain back on .. and continue cycling the chains... this way you get more miles from your sprockets. Unfortunaly this is too difficult with "end less" chains - master links are the way to go here .. replace the master links every now and then as a safety measure.
Do you mean clip-style masters? No way I'd run a clip-style master link on the street.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:54 PM   #97
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Nonsense I have 3 on my xr and 2on my exc with no problems ever

Old 04-01-2013, 07:21 PM   #98
max384
Disgruntled Student

Quote:
Nonsense I have 3 on my xr and 2on my exc with no problems ever
And I've ridden without a helmet before and didn't die, therefore it's not dangerous...

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
Old 04-01-2013, 07:31 PM   #99
Boatman
Take me down bitch!

Oddometer: 10,141
Quote:
I'm very surprised to see your cynicism in this most important discussion when it appears you were a victim of a half worn chain problem yourself
The chain that did that damage had less than 5000 miles and was well within spec. My adjusters were no where near the end of adjustment.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #100
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman View Post
The chain that did that damage had less than 5000 miles and was well within spec. My adjusters were no where near the end of adjustment.
Just as I thought
That's proof right there. Did u save it?

Old 04-01-2013, 07:37 PM   #101
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
And I've ridden without a helmet before and didn't die, therefore it's not dangerous...
Did you fall and severely impact your head? If not that's like saying I wore a string bikini and nobody laughed at me when you only wore it in your secluded back yard barbecuing. My chain us used as designed every time I ride...big difference

Old 04-01-2013, 08:06 PM   #102
Boatman
Take me down bitch!

Oddometer: 10,141
Quote:
Just as I thought
That's proof right there. Did u save it?

I might have it kicking around somewhere. I'll look. If I have it, it's yours. All you'll need is a master link. ( I prefer clip style)

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:08 PM   #103
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

I don't want to run it. Just test it

Old 04-01-2013, 08:30 PM   #104
Dirty in all
Adrenaline Junkie

Oddometer: 168
Now we're into a whole new subject. Some tool company decides it's better to run a rivet on your chain instead of a clip to sell more rivet tools. Probably brothers with bad blood, one owns the tooling company and the other the clip manufacturing company. I can tell you how Ive seen rivets come loose. Not once have I seen a C clip come off, especially if you safety wire it on like the racers do. Not to mention I can find the end of my chain and keep track of the stretched links that need replacing.
Dirty in all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:43 PM   #105
max384
Disgruntled Student

Quote:
Did you fall and severely impact your head? If not that's like saying I wore a string bikini and nobody laughed at me when you only wore it in your secluded back yard barbecuing. My chain us used as designed every time I ride...big difference
My point was that anecdotal evidence is not nearly proof enough to call my post "nonsense." You have a total of five clip links and none of them failed. That is hardly an exhaustive study.

Look around the internet; it is full of stories of failed clip links. Sure, a failed rivet link will pop up once in awhile, but you can't deny that it happens far more often with clip links. Clip link guys commonly counter that it's most likely because they were installed incorrectly. That's fine and all, but they seem to be installed incorrectly quite a bit judging by how often they fail compared to rivet links.

Riveting a chain is easy, and it's cheap insurance in my opinion. Other than the initial cost of the tool (I got my Motion Pro riveter for about $70 if I'm recalling correctly), I can't see a real downside to riveting over clip.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014