Old 04-01-2013, 05:16 PM   #7861
Serp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
Luggage plate cost?
Here it's $208.94

Laguna Seca MotoGP Trips-06/07/08/09/10/11/12/13. 2014 Loop Trip-Glacier/Yellowstone/GTs/Flaming Gorge/Arches/Mesa Verda/Monuments/Goosenecks/Capitol Reef/Bryce/Zion/GC/Joshua/Yosemite/Lassen/Crater Lake
Serp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:17 PM   #7862
Serp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
tankbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
I'm curious what you think of it after you've had a chance to use it for a while. I haven't seen one save the small pictures found on the web that don't show much.
I will let you know.

Laguna Seca MotoGP Trips-06/07/08/09/10/11/12/13. 2014 Loop Trip-Glacier/Yellowstone/GTs/Flaming Gorge/Arches/Mesa Verda/Monuments/Goosenecks/Capitol Reef/Bryce/Zion/GC/Joshua/Yosemite/Lassen/Crater Lake
Serp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:23 PM   #7863
syaufu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
modern shocks

Disagree on the durability of BMW shocks..12 BMW 1200 GS"s or GSA"s ..all with relatively low miles... on our trip from London to China 2 yrs ago..we had to replace 5 shocks on our 12000 mile trip..100,000 maybe if you don't ride on gravel..bj
syaufu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:25 PM   #7864
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racegun View Post
If your experience w/ Ohlins was unsatisfactory that is on you and who ever set up your shocks. Thousands of Ohlins owners can not be wrong.
Huh? His experience (as I read it) wasn't that the difference was bad/wrong, but that it wasn't worth the money. I can accept that. It was worth the money for me on my '05 but I understand how some would feel otherwise.

Counter example: I know there are people who can feel differences in tires that feel exactly the same to me. They may pay extra for a tire that "feels better". Since I can't tell the difference I'll pay less. That doesn't go for the Heidenau K60... I hate that tire.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:10 PM   #7865
erkmania
Still Adventuring

Oddometer: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
Found the first made in Taiwan sticker ... On some of the wiring leading to the headlight.

I hope that knowing that the transmission is Japanese sourced doesn't then send you over the edge. If it does, can I have your bike...at a deep discount? I'm concerned about your health.

I think BMW now means "Built Mostly Worldwide."

2011 BMW R1200GS, 2004 KTM 950, 1996 ATK 605 ESDS
erkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:13 PM   #7866
johnjen
Mod-U-Later

Oddometer: 15,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Smoke View Post
After 67,000 trouble free miles and for no good reason I replaced the stock suspension on my 12GS with the Ohlins. What a waste of money
snip
So I have to ask…
How much time did you spend dialing in the Ohlins?

JJ

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590
johnjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:16 PM   #7867
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Oddometer: 2,548
Quote:
I would......
I disagree with the facts you pointed out about shocks however. Modern shocks are extremely durable. It's been my experience that shocks on BMW brand motorcycles last more than 100K. After that in the future I will certainly replace with OEM even though they cost a little (without esa oem are a few hundred US$ more) more than Ohlins. The cost of ownership is much less.
I agree they do last more than 100K in some ( not all instances) . TAU did not ask that. He wanted some one to give their take/ opinion/ ideas on ESA. To be honest, he might have been able to answer that question for himself. Those of us that opined only stated the truth as we know it. Also, no one said OEM did not last. Any shock, Ohlins, White Power, Sachs, Wilbers, not set up correctly won't ride as well or better than Orig. Equip. Race teams for M/C & cars have super highly skilled teams that deal with shocks and related. It is an Art Form ( as it were ) to dial in suspension with excellence. In addition, One must ride the machine closer to the limits than just an easy Sunday ride to experience the nirvana of a well executed suspension. IMHO & YMMV of course......jus sayin'

Racegun screwed with this post 04-01-2013 at 06:22 PM Reason: thank you
Racegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:21 PM   #7868
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
Huh? His experience (as I read it) wasn't that the difference was bad/wrong, but that it wasn't worth the money. I can accept that. It was worth the money for me on my '05 but I understand how some would feel otherwise.

Counter example: I know there are people who can feel differences in tires that feel exactly the same to me. They may pay extra for a tire that "feels better". Since I can't tell the difference I'll pay less. That doesn't go for the Heidenau K60... I hate that tire.

TRUE THAT... I hear YA!
Old 04-01-2013, 06:35 PM   #7869
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkmania View Post

I think BMW now means "Built Mostly Worldwide."
Everyones been doing that for a while. Donlt seem to pass the savings on to the consumer though

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:59 PM   #7870
erkmania
Still Adventuring

Oddometer: 807
Quote:
After 67,000 trouble free miles and for no good reason I replaced the stock suspension on my 12GS with the Ohlins. What a waste of money and now the Ohlins have been rebuilt after only 17,000 miles. I should have left well enough alone. I could tell a little difference but it certainly wasn't life changing. Other than stock panniers and a tankbag the Ohlins were the only farkle to ever be installed on my GS and I regret it.

My 2001 1150GS had 82,000 miles when I sold it. The stock suspension was fine. I'm about as average build as you can get. 180#'s and 6' tall. When touring I can fit everything I carry in the three stock panniers (maybe 35#'s I've never weighed it).

That said I rode the demo LC a week ago and it's the finest motorcycle I've ever had the pleasure of throwing a leg over. My brother rides a 12 Multi which I thought couldn't be improved upon until I rode the LC. It is sublime.

For anyone who is new to this forum and happens upon this thread. I know after some reading you may get the impression the LC GS is the worst motorcycle ever built and will certainly fall to pieces in under a year. I don't know why there is so much complaining but it is what it is. If you're reading this know that the complaining done here is completely unjustified and done mostly by folks who've only seen pictures of the bike. The same thing was done when the 12GS came out. It was the worst motorcycle ever to roll down tarmac and anyone who bought one was sure rue the day they ever took delivery. My 12GS like the 1150 before it has been the finest bike I've ever owned and absolutely trouble free after a combined 160,000 miles. My 1150 is still out there riding with a new owner.

I don't know why but this forum in particular is the most whining and quibbling bunch for some/no reason. It never fails. Some new technological tour-de-force is released and invariably before it hits the showroom floor it's the worst thing ever built. At the same time a rattle trap KLR650 that's knocking like a Jehovah Witness is god's gift to mankind.
Spare us the sycophantism. This thread is chock full already.

It's more than OK that you didn't think that your Ohlins were worthwhile. I truly believe that has more to do with the way you ride a motorcycle than the effectiveness of aftermarket suspension and/or that your particular Ohlins were not adjusted remotely close to being effective.

If you're not into extracting the full performance from a motorcycle to the extent that you can then your opinion on the subject must be weighted. Not one of the stock BMW shocks I have used was worth a hill of beans after 15 to 20K on the clock...check that, not worth a hill of beans. The two BMW's that were/are near the top of the handling heap of the motorcycles I've owned, for ME, were the ones I put either Ohlins, Penske or Hyperpros on.

Not all here need to have the new LC's goodness reinforced endlessly in our minds. Some, but not all here are whiners. We, (if I may speak) know that the new bike is good. It is not without flaws.

I apologize in advance if I am being cruel, but I took umbrage to your statement about the global whining; pot, kettle, black, etc.

2011 BMW R1200GS, 2004 KTM 950, 1996 ATK 605 ESDS
erkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:25 PM   #7871
sbrownn
SlowMo

Oddometer: 457
Probably a good question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjen View Post
So I have to ask…
How much time did you spend dialing in the Ohlins?

JJ
And the next question might be "How much time did you spend dialing in the stock suspension?" My guess would be that people who never try to dial in the stock suspension never bother to dial in the aftermarkets either. At its core a suspension system is nothing more than a spring to store and release energy and an adjustable damper to control the rate at which energy is stored and relesed. It would be interesting to actually know what the difference is between some of the aftermarkets and the stock units is.
sbrownn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #7872
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrownn View Post
And the next question might be "How much time did you spend dialing in the stock suspension?"
That is actually a different question as most stock suspension components need to be taken apart to "dial in". They aren't easily adjustable like most aftermarket items.
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:21 PM   #7873
Montauk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by tau View Post
I can see that still nobody has answered my questions
Perhaps you can undo the bold red color, it's too much to the eye, lending to oversight.
Montauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:31 PM   #7874
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
That is actually a different question as most stock suspension components need to be taken apart to "dial in". They aren't easily adjustable like most aftermarket items.
??? I have 4 adjustments on my Ohlins. I had 3 on the stock shocks. The stock wouldn't let me change the damping on the front, otherwise the controls were pretty much the same. I had the stock shocks dialed in pretty well, but there was still a certain harshness that went away with after market shocks.

That said, I'm looking forward to Dynamic ESA on the new bike. Yeah, I'm a little bit concerned about shock/damper longevity. But not concerned enough to skip the Dynamic ESA package on the new bike.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #7875
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk View Post
Perhaps you can undo the bold red color, it's too much to the eye, lending to oversight.
a few of us have tried..... heck I give up...good luck Tau