User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 11:52 PM   #181
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,279
You guys!

On a slight tangent, if you've been reading this thread from the beginning you'll know it is our intention to prove the new bike (and specifically the engine) throughout the 2013 season...

We are hoping to debut the LC4-50 powered bike at the Hellas Rally in April, but in the meantime, John Mitchinson will be racing his 690 Enduro fitted with the new EVO2 tanks and fairing kit, together with the TracTive 300mm rear-travel shock as a 'chassis shakedown' at the Tuareg Rally in a little under two week's time!

John will be supported by Martin & Torque Racing of course, and I'll also be attending in an assistance capacity - specifically to provide press and PR for a number of riders, including inmates Schattat and LukasM, Neduro and Jean-Luc plus the rest of the US-based RMS / If You See Kay Wine team!

Please check in over at the 'Official Event Coverage' Thread for more info, my featured rider's profiles, plus daily updates, photos and news from the event as it happens from the 8th - 15th March!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=865985

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #182
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,362
Hi Jen,

I'm in...thanks for the link.

All things being well, we'll see your bike in action in January.

Ray
Old 03-04-2013, 03:16 PM   #183
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Just a quick update: On the eve of our departure for the Tuareg Rally in Tunisia next week, John has had confirmation of the LC4-50 piston specification from the techy fellas at Cosworth... all being well, we should have a working [prototype] engine soon after our return from Tunisia!

In the meantime, you can follow John's progress on the 690cc engined EVO2 bike, together with my other highlighted riders and all the latest Tuareg Rally news here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=865985

I'd better start packing!

Jx
Old 03-09-2013, 05:34 AM   #184
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,697
Thumb Subscribed...............

Very late to the party.... but IN for the duration, EXCELLENT project!!!
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:25 AM   #185
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

The outline route of the Dakar 2014 has been published today - seems Peru is off the menu, but Bolivia in the main course, with a starter in Argentina and the dessert in Chile... aha ha - see what I did there?!

Looking at the very rough map, it would seem the 2014 event is going to feature a lot more stages in the Andes mountains, followed by (presumably) a new type of terrain in Bolivia - tropical rain forest?, before navigating pretty much the whole length of the Atacama desert in Chile... a proper 'adventure ride' in three distinct parts I imagine? - one thing for sure, it's going to be epic!

Jx

Old 03-20-2013, 08:48 AM   #186
charapa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Living in Peru myself, I am really bummed that we will miss it!

But I guess I am alot closer than most! Still, I will make sure I don't miss it
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post

The outline route of the Dakar 2014 has been published today - seems Peru is off the menu, but Bolivia in the main course, with a starter in Argentina and the dessert in Chile... aha ha - see what I did there?!

Looking at the very rough map, it would seem the 2014 event is going to feature a lot more stages in the Andes mountains, followed by (presumably) a new type of terrain in Bolivia - tropical rain forest?, before navigating pretty much the whole length of the Atacama desert in Chile... a proper 'adventure ride' in three distinct parts I imagine? - one thing for sure, it's going to be epic!

Jx

"Those friends thou hast... and their adoption tried... grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel. But do not dull thy palm with entertainment of each new-hatch'd, unfledg'd comrade...." Polonius in Hamlet
charapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:48 PM   #187
ScotchBonnet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Im new on here so am very (very) late to the party! (Sorry). Ive just read my way through most of the thread. Jenny, this is a cool project and im extremely curious to see the results of all yours and Johns hard work! Superb. +1 subscribed! Are you still on track for a prototype at Hellas? SB
ScotchBonnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:32 PM   #188
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Hi SB! - nice to see you here too!

The start of the Hellas is getting dangerously close now of course, but we have a plan in place - and are hoping to have the engine together either just before or just after Easter - then we can get it in a chassis and build a bit around it, even if it is an 'enduro light' version for Greece...

As I'm sure you'll appreciate, we'd like to get at least a few UK miles on it - if only to make sure the fueling and everything is sorted - before we head down to Greece... I'm standing by!

Jx
Old 03-25-2013, 05:12 PM   #189
ScotchBonnet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Love it. It just wouldnt be right for it not to be all 'seat of the pants' timing for the last push Good luck!
ScotchBonnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:27 AM   #190
Pete640
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,619
Great thread J mo. The crank/piston package are a great idea. Are there any other tech details out there for general consumption???
Old 03-31-2013, 05:02 AM   #191
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete640 View Post
Great thread J mo. The crank/piston package are a great idea. Are there any other tech details out there for general consumption???
Hi Pete!

With everything around the Tuareg Rallye earlier this month, things have been a little in the background - but we are hoping to have the engine reassembled soon after Easter.

We are hoping that minimal other changes will be required to the engine - other than an EFi remap of course... one suggested [possible] concern is the size of the throttle body effecting the power characteristics, but until we can get a running engine on the dyno, we won't know for sure...

As for the rest of the bike, the idea is for it to remain pretty much stock 690R spec - although it will have the usual front suspension upgrades that John & Martin build into their rallye-prepped 690s - that is longer travel EXC forks; together with the new TracTive rear shock that can offer up to 300mm rear travel, and on-the-fly adjustable preload and damping... certainly the riders on the Tuareg who had that shock fitted to their 690s noted a marked improvement to the suspension action.

I'm hoping to have some photos etc by next weekend, and am really looking forward to getting the new engine into a chassis to properly test the package!

Jx
Old 03-31-2013, 05:15 PM   #192
Evil Invader
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
Great to see you are up and running again!
See you in Greece!

M Motoadventures
Evil Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:11 AM   #193
Browner
n00b

Oddometer: 5
So looking foward to all the updates and storys of the big build up to the DAKAR,cant wait.
Browner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:38 PM   #194
Pyndon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,427
Nice jacket John

Really interested to see how the LC450 motor performs on the dyno. A lot of development work goes into engines these days so I'm interested to see how many iterations you will have to go through to get the performance out of it.

Great concept. Great looking bikes too with the Evo2 tanks

I'm late to the party but subscribed.

Lyndon

Quote:
John has been prepping his 690

My Dakar Rally Experience
My KTM 950 Story
Pyndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:28 PM   #195
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,930
Quote:
As for the rest of the bike, the idea is for it to remain pretty much stock 690R spec - although it will have the usual front suspension upgrades that John & Martin build into their rallye-prepped 690s - that is longer travel EXC forks; together with the new TracTive rear shock that can offer up to 300mm rear travel, and on-the-fly adjustable preload and damping... certainly the riders on the Tuareg who had that shock fitted to their 690s noted a marked improvement to the suspension action.
Jx
Can you give a little more details about the suspension mods? There are quite a few 690 riders who would like to upgrade the short travel suspension as it comes from the factory. This kit alone for a naked enduro sounds like an excellent upgrade.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote