Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 06:20 PM   #14491
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
This is the watch I wear when traveling in moto. Mucho bueno!

Mucho bueno! also Hotel Roosevelt here at DF I recommend ask for week rate
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:27 PM   #14492
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
Fixing the usual flat, I learn something on every trip, for example, don't use X-heavy duty tubes, cuz harder to patch, and harder to push the stem in the wheel if you don't have a fishing tool, Also you can lube the bead with a few drops of oil off of your dipstick to slide the tire back on.
I have the kind, and I can't recommend it enough, that screws into the valve stem once you remove the core with a valve core remover. If it were made of gold I would still buy it. Simple route the whip stem of this device through the rim's valve hole and then as mentioned, screw the end into the coreless valve. Pull the valve stem through the rim, unscrew the puller, and replace the valve core. So easy, fast, simple, brilliant, that Einstein would have one. If you really want to go Big Johnson, place the valve stem locknut on the whip step #1 and when the valve is pulled through the rim you can thread the locknut before you unscrew the puller, to guarantee it ain't going anywhere.

Here it is. Zero fishing, probing, pushing, hoping. Save that for the second date.

This nifty $7 device makes the formerly hardest part of changing tubes the easiest.

Tubes: I carry 2 spares per wheel size. When flatted, the flatted tube comes out and goes into storage. New tube goes in, no questions asked. I'll tend to the patching job at the hotel/home.

Nice tip on using engine oil to lube the bead/rim. Not the perfect material for the job but a good tip in a pinch. Usually, tires (tubes) flatted on a ride are pliable enough due to heat and with proper technique can be spooned in by just pinch dropping the opposite side bead into the rim's "well".

Goes without saying as most regulars here will have them, but here is an item for the tire kit as much as it is for campers:

I carry two of these. Try dealing with a flat issue without this item as dusk falls and you'll never travel without at least one. Again. Ever.

And if you're over 40, carry two pair of your reading glasses. At least one pair goes into your tire flat kit (or tool kit). You know what I'm talking about.

tricepilot screwed with this post 04-01-2013 at 06:53 PM
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:04 PM   #14493
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Magnifying Glass

A lighted magnifying glass is also pretty useful. Don't have a photo but think I got mine at Ace or Home Depot, certainly have them in the map section at REI.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:13 PM   #14494
NAVIGATOR
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post
This is the watch I wear when traveling in moto. Mucho bueno!

Mucho bueno! also Hotel Roosevelt here at DF I recommend ask for week rate
+ 1 on the Roosvelt, has a small and economic restaurant named hipodromo with good food , decorated with a huge cookoo clock
NAVIGATOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:43 PM   #14495
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
...Here it is...This nifty $7 device makes the formerly hardest part of changing tubes the easiest.

I have the same one. Just used it this weekend to take off the street tires and mount the dual-purpose tires.

Quote:
Tubes: I carry 2 spares per wheel size. When flatted, the flatted tube comes out and goes into storage. New tube goes in, no questions asked. I'll tend to the patching job at the hotel/home.
I carry one set of tubes per wheel. Like you, when the flat occurs the flatted tube goes in storage, the new tube goes on the bike. I'll repair the flatted tube at the hotel with my patch kit.

Quote:
Nice tip on using engine oil to lube the bead/rim.
I use Windex or camp soap. I used Windex in the garage this weekend. Your face shield spray also works well. I also carry a small bottle of camp soap for this same purpose.

Quote:
Goes without saying as most regulars here will have them, but here is an item for the tire kit as much as it is for campers:

I carry one with extra batteries. I also have a white canvas ground cloth. All parts and tools go on that ground cloth. It makes it easier to find the tools and parts as you do the repair, even in daylight. I also plan to be at the destination 2-hours before sunset. This leaves me contingency time if a repair incident happens so that I don't have to ride at night.

Quote:
And if you're over 40, carry two pair of your reading glasses. At least one pair goes into your tire flat kit (or tool kit). You know what I'm talking about.
I will add that I practice my repairs in my garage with the reading glasses on and not my progressive lenses in my regular glasses. When I ride it's contact lenses, and the readers go in the tank bag. The progressives are my back up, and I carry extra contacts too.

Guys don't forget to tighten the nuts when you put the wheel back on! I almost forgot this weekend and only noticed when I took the bike off of the centerstand. I was too eager because I had essentially finished the job except for the most important part! SAFETY!

Good sidebar topic!

Pedro Navaja screwed with this post 04-01-2013 at 07:52 PM
Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:28 PM   #14496
Gun Smoke
Banned

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
I've had the same stainless and gold Rolex for 28 years. Don't tune it up like I should but damn. The cost of the tuneup makes me think I'm at the Porsche dealer. So...it is just a piece of jewelry that approximates the time somewhat better than a sundial.
Much of the cost has to do with replacement parts. I sent my older GMT Master (1990's) in for service. It was running fine but it was 15 years old. I thought they would just take it apart, clean, lubricate, and calibrate it. For $650 bucks they put a new dial, new hands that glowed again and new bezel that was faded and shipped the old bezel, hands and dial back with the watch. They then polished out all the old scratches. When I got the watch back I was amazed. For $650 they basically sent me a new watch back. I was happy. I bought the new ceramic GMT Master a year or so ago but haven't worn it too much. I really like that watch. I also bought a Day Date with the super jubilee bracelet and that gets a lot of wrist time. Other than leather it's the most comfortable bracelet I've ever worn. The watch I wear most days and is my favorite right now is an IWC top Gun I picked up. I've been really happy with it. I love IWC and think they're actually as good or better quality than Rolex. I have an IWC spitfire too which is a cool watch. I want to get oe of the Mirimars but wonder if the green will fall out of my favor. I collect wrist watches and have a few Doxa, Ulysse Nardin, Fortis, a Navitimer and a collection of ships chronometers by Ulysse Nardin. Another brand I'm really fond of and they're tough as nails is Sinn. I have Sinn EZM 3, U1, U2 EZM 5, UX EZM 2 B. The best way to keep a collection in good shape is to keep them on winders. Don't get me started on complicated pocket watches.

Gun Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:04 AM   #14497
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Smoke View Post
Don't get me started on complicated pocket watches.
ok
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:35 AM   #14498
McFoil
Filthy Pig

Oddometer: 189
Watches

Go with white gold or platinum watches. Less conspicuous. You may need something to pawn when your in a pinch. My daddy gave me that advice.
McFoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:10 AM   #14499
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFoil View Post
My daddy gave me that advice.
Now, who else was reminded of that excellent Christopher Walken monologue scene in "Pulp Fiction" when they read that?
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:10 AM   #14500
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja View Post
Someone explain it to ace
I guess you'll need to do it. I've had a Rolex for 35 years now, so they are not unfamiliar to me. I don't wear watches much anymore since I'm retired and no longer have to concern myself with appointments.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:14 AM   #14501
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,148
I don't always wear watches but when I do, it's a Timex indiglo.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:24 AM   #14502
McFoil
Filthy Pig

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Now, who else was reminded of that excellent Christopher Walken monologue scene in "Pulp Fiction" when they read that?
I think KY can be used to polish gold.
McFoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:08 AM   #14503
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFoil View Post
I think KY can be used to polish gold.
In the long and storied history of great Canadian thinkers regarding communications, like the late Marshall McLuhan for example, I have a theory regarding internet BB threads.

As the page count grows, talk of watches, females, deviant sexual practices, motor oils, meats (barbecued/grilled), beers, liquors, camera lenses and motorcycle owners will inevitably occur. The depth and width of the conversation regarding these subjects is directly proportional to the cultural backgrounds of those participating.

For example, a practicing Buddhist will likely have little knowledge of watches but likely will be a healthy contributor to discussions on motor oils (Can motor oil really change itself if it wants to?), camera lenses (Am I seeing through the lens or is the lens actually observing me?), and motorcycle owners (Can a KTM veteran rider really stop breathing only through their mouth?).

If you frequent the pages of Jo Mama and WTF, this is very evident.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:14 AM   #14504
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
I don't always wear watches but when I do, it's a Timex indiglo.
That's what I wear when traveling on the bike. I don't know why since both bikes have clocks, cell phone has a clock, and most any convenience store or gas station has a clock.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:20 AM   #14505
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
In the long and storied history of great Canadian thinkers regarding communications, like the late Marshall McLuhan for example, I have a theory regarding internet BB threads.

As the page count grows, talk of watches, females, deviant sexual practices, motor oils, meats (barbecued/grilled), beers, liquors, camera lenses and motorcycle owners will inevitably occur. The depth and width of the conversation regarding these subjects is directly proportional to the cultural backgrounds of those participating.

For example, a practicing Buddhist will likely have little knowledge of watches but likely will be a healthy contributor to discussions on motor oils (Can motor oil really change itself if it wants to?), camera lenses (Am I seeing through the lens or is the lens actually observing me?), and motorcycle owners (Can a KTM veteran rider really stop breathing only through their mouth?).

If you frequent the pages of Jo Mama and WTF, this is very evident.
And will a BMW still break down if no one is riding it?