Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 08:26 AM   #14506
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post
And will a BMW still break down if no one is riding it?
And all lost compasses will return to their proper place in the universe, if you manage to get your Suzuki upside down at over 13,000ft.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:28 AM   #14507
McFoil
Filthy Pig

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
In the long and storied history of great Canadian thinkers regarding communications, like the late Marshall McLuhan for example, I have a theory regarding internet BB threads.

As the page count grows, talk of watches, females, deviant sexual practices, motor oils, meats (barbecued/grilled), beers, liquors, camera lenses and motorcycle owners will inevitably occur. The depth and width of the conversation regarding these subjects is directly proportional to the cultural backgrounds of those participating.

For example, a practicing Buddhist will likely have little knowledge of watches but likely will be a healthy contributor to discussions on motor oils (Can motor oil really change itself if it wants to?), camera lenses (Am I seeing through the lens or is the lens actually observing me?), and motorcycle owners (Can a KTM veteran rider really stop breathing only through their mouth?).

If you frequent the pages of Jo Mama and WTF, this is very evident.

Your reference to Pulp Fiction directly correlates to the insertion of a watch for safe keeping. KY Jelly does a fine job at polishing fine metals also. My cultural background is lowbrow and borders on redneck. Never been to Jo Mama and WTF. I need to read up on this this Budda guy. What does he ride?
McFoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:33 AM   #14508
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFoil View Post
I need to read up on this this Budda guy. What does he ride?

He rides everything...and nothing.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:35 AM   #14509
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
And will a BMW still break down if no one is riding it?
It isn't the size of the break down with the BMW, it is the size of the BMW with the break down.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:38 AM   #14510
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFoil View Post
I think KY can be used to polish gold.
It can be used to polish the family jewels.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:43 AM   #14511
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

In Gdansk, they have an old saying.
"It isn't the ability of the KY with the polish, it is the ability of the Polish with the KY"!

I think it holds true in Chicago and many areas of Pennsylvania. If you see this graffiti in the restroom, leave the bar immediately!
Old 04-02-2013, 08:54 AM   #14512
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
And all lost compasses will return to their proper place in the universe, if you manage to get your Suzuki upside down at over 13,000ft.
Cool thought! I can add compasses to my theory that lost socks, ball point pens and cigarette lighters go to a different dimension and eventually return as wire coat hangers.

Seriously, have you ever bought any or do you use a dry cleaner enough to explain how you have so many of the damn things?

Spooky.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:52 AM   #14513
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,984
Quote:
Cool thought! I can add compasses to my theory that lost socks, ball point pens and cigarette lighters go to a different dimension and eventually return as wire coat hangers.

Seriously, have you ever bought any or do you use a dry cleaner enough to explain how you have so many of the damn things?

Spooky.
During my 32 years of wearing a suit for the man, I probably acquired enough wire coat hangers to stretch to the moon.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:37 PM   #14514
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Somebody say compasses? If you do use a compass in conjunction with topographic maps, here is great place to order your maps. Great maps in 1:50,000. UTM grids.

http://www.mexicomaps.com/mexico_top...CA93mXEE195F7A

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #14515
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

And since we were talking about tire repair, here's a snapshot of the groundcloth with some of the repair parts and tools. I inventory before I ride. The groundcloth is great for locating parts and tools when doing field repairs. Easy to lose stuff in the dirt on the side of the road.

Sometimes I will break the bead without taking the wheel off of the bike (older photo). It depends on the ground situation I am in. After I break the bead then I will take the wheel off. However, most of the time the wheel comes of the bike first, then I dismount the tire in the usual fashion. The string you see is from a rim guard that fell inside the tire. That's why it is on a string. I also use gloves when doing repairs. Learned this from my motor sergeant in the Army. Catch anyone without gloves and it was an instant ass-chewing unless you were greasing a hub or similar that required flesh to be employed

Pedro Navaja screwed with this post 04-02-2013 at 06:37 PM
Old 04-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #14516
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

That rim and surrounding area was photoshopped!
It is way too clean and sparkly, show us the dirty stuff.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:30 PM   #14517
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
That rim and surrounding area was photoshopped!
It is way too clean and sparkly, show us the dirty stuff.
Haha! Nope. Done in my garage. Like many of us, I actually practice repairs in my garage so I am not learning when out in the field. And like trice said, repair skills atrophy if you don't practice them.

It's a chrome rim from a Honda Nighthawk 250 cc, which is my Mexico bike. I swap between street and dual purpose tires. Here's a pic of the bike taken just this weekend after mounting the front d/p tire. You can see it's a knobby. There's that white groundcloth again. I love working on this little bike!

I keep my shit clean and serviceable or that Army motor sergeant of mine just might find me again!

P.S. Check out that Airhawk cushion on the saddle. No more monkey-butt! No hot spots, nada! That's the best solution for me for long distance riding.

Pedro Navaja screwed with this post 04-02-2013 at 08:06 PM Reason: P.S.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #14518
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Amen on Airhawk. MikeMike turned me on to it and once you get used to it you won't ride without one.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #14519
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Amen on Airhawk. MikeMike turned me on to it and once you get used to it you won't ride without one.
My only complaint was the mounting system. So I sewed velcro strips on the bottom of the cover. Then I got a belt with two hooks on each end and sewed the mating velcro on the belt. The hooked belt clips on to each side of the saddle. Then I lay the Airhawk on the belt so that the velcro mates up. That Airhawk cushion stays put! My butt is happy!

P.S. I can show you pics of the sewing pattern if interested. First I tried an adhesive based velcro, but the heat would melt the adhesive, so sewing is the way to go.

Pedro Navaja screwed with this post 04-02-2013 at 08:22 PM Reason: P.S.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #14520
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja View Post
My only complaint was the mounting system. So I sewed velcro strips on the bottom of the cover. Then I got a belt with two hooks on each end and sewed the mating velcro on the belt. The hooked belt clips on to each side of the saddle. Then I lay the Airhawk on the belt so that the velcro mates up. That Airhawk cushion stays put! My butt is happy!

P.S. I can show you pics of the sewing pattern if interested. First I tried an adhesive based velcro, but the heat would melt the adhesive, so sewing is the way to go.
I bought mine used and it didn't have any mounts. I took the mini bungees of a beaded seat cover and just hooked them together under the seat. It moves a little over time, but a quick tug and it's back in place.

I find you have to ensure proper adjustment of your gentleman's parts or it can get uncomfortable :eek: