Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 264 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 01:53 PM   #28096
championsound
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Take the mid-atlantic: 1 track in upper nowhere PA and one track an hour south of Charlotte.[/snip]
Well, I know of a bridge that I can sell you - http://tinyurl.com/btc4knk

FWIW, I started racing track at Kissena which draws folks both near and far. It's a great learning track and a jump off point for more "legit" places like T-town.

If it wasn't for jockeys and horses, I think there would be a good chance that there'd still be lots of velodromes and track racers in this country. But then again... even with the gambling, it's still not that much of a popular sport, even in Japan where Keirin used to be so popular.
championsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:39 PM   #28097
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by championsound View Post
Well, I know of a bridge that I can sell you - http://tinyurl.com/btc4knk

FWIW, I started racing track at Kissena which draws folks both near and far. It's a great learning track and a jump off point for more "legit" places like T-town.

If it wasn't for jockeys and horses, I think there would be a good chance that there'd still be lots of velodromes and track racers in this country. But then again... even with the gambling, it's still not that much of a popular sport, even in Japan where Keirin used to be so popular.
The best thing about a track in the neighborhood is the programs for kids/others that otherwise wouldn't ride or race a bicycle. I know the juniors program at Sandy Eggo was successful in keeping at least a few kids out of trouble by giving em something to look forward to doing.

M
Old 04-03-2013, 07:38 AM   #28098
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

The Secret Pro on Spring Classics

Check out what he has to say about the new 'aero helmets'

M
Old 04-03-2013, 07:58 AM   #28099
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,242
Endurance training

I'm wondering if there's any benefit to doing my endurance training on a mtb. The advantage of training on the road bike is that I don't feel beaten up from long rides on bumpy off-road trails, and the lack of distractions on paved trails allows me to focus more attention on things like pedaling technique, proper breathing, etc.

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:06 AM   #28100
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,120
How are you defining 'endurance training'?
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:21 AM   #28101
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
How are you defining 'endurance training'?
Most of the local trails are no longer than 3 miles. Looking at Strava results, I've noticed that mtb racers in my area can maintain their top speeds for much longer distances, whereas I begin to experience serious fatigue after only 1.5 miles.

I want to increase my endurance so that I can go flat out for at least 3 miles on mtb trails.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:51 AM   #28102
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Once, I went to a running clinic. Featured at this clinic was the Nigerian Olympic track team. They looked like a pack of human cheetahs. When they were asked about cardio, they said they ran 8 miles every, single, day. If you have good wind for 8 miles you'll have REALLY good wind for 1000 meters.

I took that advice to heart, and my cardio is a mix between intervals & distance work. Using that I was able to shave six minutes off my 5k time for a PR of 24 min 49 sec. Not bad for an old guy.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:55 AM   #28103
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Most of the local trails are no longer than 3 miles. Looking at Strava results, I've noticed that mtb racers in my area can maintain their top speeds for much longer distances, whereas I begin to experience serious fatigue after only 1.5 miles.

I want to increase my endurance so that I can go flat out for at least 3 miles on mtb trails.
Your answer is your answer.

If you know you need to hold speed for 3mi, then your intervals need to be at least 3mi. JRA won't make you significantly faster. You can do that off-road, or you can do that on-road. Don't matter as long as you do the efforts.

One HUGE up side to riding road is that it doesn't beat you (or the bike) up. You can ride every day without having to fix either you or the bike.

Now, we're getting into the differences between riding and training.

M
Old 04-03-2013, 09:18 AM   #28104
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Your answer is your answer.

If you know you need to hold speed for 3mi, then your intervals need to be at least 3mi. JRA won't make you significantly faster. You can do that off-road, or you can do that on-road. Don't matter as long as you do the efforts.

One HUGE up side to riding road is that it doesn't beat you (or the bike) up. You can ride every day without having to fix either you or the bike.
My thoughts exactly. I've been doing 10 laps at the local mtb trail, but afterward I feel pretty beaten up. Riding my road bike on paved trails also allows me to focus all my attention on technique (pedaling, breathing, etc.) rather than trying to avoid hitting trees or running off the trail.

So if you're training for endurance, do you pedal as hard as you can from start to finish, or is it better to maintain a more even pace and save some energy for the end?
Old 04-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #28105
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
My thoughts exactly. I've been doing 10 laps at the local mtb trail, but afterward I feel pretty beaten up. Riding my road bike on paved trails also allows me to focus all my attention on technique (pedaling, breathing, etc.) rather than trying to avoid hitting trees or running off the trail.

So if you're training for endurance, do you pedal as hard as you can from start to finish, or is it better to maintain a more even pace and save some energy for the end?
You, my friend, need to read up on exercise theory. It pretty much applies to all sports where both endurance and speed are needed. (Running, swimming, bicycling [road, cross, MTB, etc], and a myriad of others.)

Chisenhallw is on the right track. You have to do both. Intervals give you power if done right, but do not do much for endurance (note: I did not say they do nothing for endurance). For endurance, you have to train your heart and lungs. For endurance you go at longer distances in the aerobic zone of your body's metabolism. Intervals you are maxing yourself out pretty much.

A good observation from many trainers: Most people do their slow runs too fast, and their fast runs too slow.

Gummee! is also absolutely right, now we are talking about training to be able to ride better, and not just riding around.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:57 AM   #28106
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Gummee! is also absolutely right, now we are talking about training to be able to ride better, and not just riding around.

Intervals suck. Sprints, while more fun, suck. Training hurts. That's why people don't do it.

My best recommendation is Joe Friel's book(s) and develop a training plan based on what you want to accomplish. I've used his book as a basis of my training plans for years now.

M
Old 04-03-2013, 11:18 AM   #28107
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,850
There seems to be part of a six pack of this in my hotel fridge. Some Stone too.
There has been some Dig, and Summersault as well.

Quote:
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:51 AM   #28108
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Quote:

Intervals suck. Sprints, while more fun, suck. Training hurts. That's why people don't do it.

My best recommendation is Joe Friel's book(s) and develop a training plan based on what you want to accomplish. I've used his book as a basis of my training plans for years now.

M
If you're in this sport because you don't like pain, I suggest you take up basket weaving. Sprints & intervals are roughly the same thing, right?
Old 04-03-2013, 11:53 AM   #28109
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Sprints & intervals are roughly the same thing, right?
Please tell me you're kidding with that.

Please?!

M
Old 04-03-2013, 11:56 AM   #28110
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

No.

I know what intervals are - what are sprints, to you?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: