Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 06:20 PM   #1
nylon2000 OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 253
GPS for RTW

Bit of a stretch here, and I've RTFF'd the forums for the past hour, wanted to get some advice on which GPS is going to allow me to cover the most ground.

Hoping to use it in the US, Canada, and the rest of the world for a big trip I have planned.

Want: waterproof, ability to load gps routes into it, global capability
Dont care about: traffic, bluetooth, radio

I'd like to be able to use it on all sorts of roads - including little ones that arent well mapped.

Where does that get me? Zumo 350 or 660?

Thanks
NY-Lon
nylon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:54 PM   #2
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,354
Montana for it's mount, power options and track handling abilities.

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:10 PM   #3
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,417
visit here first ... http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...88775&page=472
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:35 AM   #4
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by nylon2000 View Post
Hoping to use it in the US, Canada, and the rest of the world for a big trip I have planned.
LifeRemotely has a good write up regarding Garmin gps's and travel through the Americas.

Keep in mind, its all a compromise.

daryl
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:39 AM   #5
nylon2000 OP
Wanderer

Thanks all - need to research the montana a bit next, and figure out the advantages. Trail vs Track etc.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #6
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,624
Quote:
Thanks all - need to research the montana a bit next, and figure out the advantages. Trail vs Track etc.
Using the Montana and planning your trip by building your own tracks and routes will require the use of Garmin Garmin Basecamp.

Tracks and Route building will require the purchase of City Navigator for the countries you intend to visit.

If you need to layout the routes including trails you will need to add topos to the unit for the countries you intend to visit.

A lot of pre-made topo maps (for your trails) that can be used with Garmin products can be found at GPS File Depot.

TRZ Charlie screwed with this post 02-28-2013 at 10:29 AM
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:07 AM   #7
thebugslayer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Check out Colebatch's comment in this thread. Pretty directly addresses your question about using the Montana for a global adventure:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post20874682
thebugslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #8
nylon2000 OP
Wanderer

thats perfect - just what i need it for.

it arrived in the mail yesterday!

The expedition
About the bike
Old 03-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #9
Cattledog1969
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
I'm thinking of getting a GPS for my motorbike. I've read about the Garmin units and you get what you pay for. I need to justify $600+ for a decent unit. But I'm really just looking for something that is waterproof, has a good way to mount to the bike and a lot of onboard maps of North America, I don’t need maps of Europe, Australia, Antarctica, cameras or MP3 players, ect. Just really up to date and accurate American road maps already installed. Garmin has something called Life Time maps, looks like it gets updated up to 4 times a year?

I've looked into RAM mounting hardware, particularly the X Mount for possibly using my cell phone as a GPS. The problem with the cell phone as a navigator is it needs a cell signal for Google Maps to work properly. I know this from riding the PDR last summer in Vermont where there was zero signal in some places, coincidentally right when I needed it the most. I've experimented with an extra cell phone to see if the GPS would work without a data plan, and it does, using an App called My Tracks but not nearly as detailed as one with data or Wifi signals.

I think I read on this site that said, any devoted GPS unit, even a cheaper unit is way better for navigation than a cell phone. I'm just looking for waterproof, lots of American road maps, and a fairly normal way of mounting it to the bike. Does anyone have any recommendations???

Cattledog1969 screwed with this post 03-06-2013 at 07:00 PM Reason: Spelling
Cattledog1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:01 PM   #10
nylon2000 OP
Wanderer

Having had the Montana for a month, and finally having read the manual - its exactly what i needed. Powerful and versatile, its good on the bike and off it, allowing me to follow tracks, set up routes, and navigate via roads, or trails.

Wish it were $300 and not $600, but there you go.

The expedition
About the bike
Old 04-02-2013, 03:13 PM   #11
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,354
Glad it's working out and it sounds like you are doing the right thing in testing and practicing with you new GPS ..... before you need it!
Even with a simpler unit after many years I still find it helpful to let some else drive the cage while I get reacquainted with it's operation.
The next step down IMO would have been the 78 for $200 to which you need to add maps, power cable & mount system, but the screen is like 1/2 the size.

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote