Old 04-02-2013, 06:30 PM   #16561
internalcombust
Yes its dirty, thanks.

Oddometer: 1,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Thanks

Really ? Well that sucks.
Those control units are known to fail. Something to keep in mind.
internalcombust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #16562
doxbike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
I've read the same, but I can't find them anywhere. Even the UK shops don't seem to have it anymore. Bummer.
Wolo Bad Boy is same as Nautilus compact. Mounts right where an OEM foglight would with relay at the OEM horn mount position
doxbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:18 PM   #16563
Chub
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by internalcombust View Post

Had the Oxfords on my KLR for 3 years with no problems and going to put them on the T800 as well. YMMV
Old 04-02-2013, 09:25 PM   #16564
unibrau
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
If the deal was for $8900 originally then I don't see how he's conducting business in an unfair way. If you thought you were eligible for an additional discount, then that's YOUR misunderstanding not the dealer trying to mislead you. And frankly expecting more discounts on a bike that you know regularly sells for $11,900 is asking a bit much. Put yourself in his shoes. He's probably not making a dime on that bike at this point.

Sorry, but I just have never understood this trying to squeeze every last penny out of a dealer. They need to make some profit just the keep their lights on. We typically pay MSRP on bikes when we buy them and then we get a fair discount on parts and accessories. Both of us feel like we're getting a good deal and both go away happy, plus the dealer made a bit of money so he's there next time I want to go sit on a bike or buy a helmet etc. And I can guarantee you that between my wife and I, we have saved way more money on clothing and accessories then we ever would have trying to save a few bucks on the price of a bike. Just me 2 cents.
Well I bought the damn thing on saturday Im having the dealer throw on heated grips and hand guards right away before I go pick it up. Thanks for the Advice guys!!
Now I have to decide which panniers to get. stuck between Jesse's and Hepco Beckers.
unibrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:03 PM   #16565
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by unibrau View Post
Im having the dealer throw on heated grips and hand guards right away before I go pick it up.
The Triumph handguards for the 800s really aren't the best. I wouldn't want to spend the money for them. Barkbuster Storm are more expensive, but much better. And there are other options as well. Even Tiger 1050 handguards are better (more protection).

Regarding luggage: Jesse are pretty good cases, the mounts aren't as solid as some others out there, easy to bent in a tip over. On the other hand: better the mounts than the frame.

Jesse with Fuel Exhaust (to get them to the promised 37" width):

cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:05 PM   #16566
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxbike View Post
Wolo Bad Boy is same as Nautilus compact. Mounts right where an OEM foglight would with relay at the OEM horn mount position
I didn't want to mess around with a relay and a position other than where the stock horn is, therefore I was looking for something smaller than the typical air horns.

Will have to think about it. Thanks for all the tips!
Old 04-03-2013, 03:13 AM   #16567
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,876
Quote:
I did read about that but I thought they'd changed the controller ? Oh well, I guess we'll find out...
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:57 AM   #16568
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,521
Quote:
I hope you get more life out of your controller than I did.
I agree they can be a bit variable. That one on the Scram went AWOL and they keep changing the design so later ones are more difficult to fit into the older wiring. Although, they did replace the whole lot for me FOC as it wasn't even 1 year old.
The one I have on the 800 seems better quality with a nice click to the buttons.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:01 AM   #16569
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,521
Quote:
Wow. Both seem like total overkill to me but they'll certainly get attention ...
That's the idea, no? Far too many "drivers" out there where driving is 3rd on the list of what they're doing and, therefore, need waking up. With these air horns it has been noticed that a car's roof can be modified by drivers heads as they wake up with a start!

blacktiger screwed with this post 04-03-2013 at 05:15 AM
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:55 AM   #16570
ducatirdr
Re-entry Noob

Oddometer: 121
Can you hear me now!

Speaking of horns... I came across this truck in a parking lot outside of the Boston Massachusetts area. The local highway adjacent to the office park is sort of a ring road outside of Boston. Route 128 is known for its accidents and crazy commuter drivers. I wish I could have met the owner. I bet he is an interesting character. Would have loved to hear it. Bet it sounds like a locomotive horn.

2000 Ducati 996S - No reason
ducatirdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #16571
XYooper906
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Did anybody replace that flimsy OEM horn with something more attention grabbing?

Somehow I feel embarrassed when I use the OEM horn and hear my wife over the intercom just say "meow meow - little baby tiger wants to get your attention, please look down and don't step on me" ...
This is how I installed a Wolo Bad Boy in my 2012 XC. It works well and us wired in conjunction with the OEM horn. I've changed a few minds when distracted cagers start to merge in front of me....
http://www.flickr.com/photos/xyooper...7631897100917/
XYooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:00 PM   #16572
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYooper906 View Post
This is how I installed a Wolo Bad Boy in my 2012 XC. It works well and us wired in conjunction with the OEM horn. I've changed a few minds when distracted cagers start to merge in front of me....
Very comprehensive doc! Thanks for that. But this is way more involved than I want to deal with for a horn replacement at this point in time. I have other things on order/coming/sitting here that I need to get to and I'm reluctant to do any non-plug-and-play solutions right now.

I have barely enough time for riding, so I don't want to spend too much time tinkering.

But again - thanks for the hints. It's super interesting, just not what I want to deal with right now.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:27 PM   #16573
TxLoneRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by XYooper906 View Post
Well done, thank you.

I am going to see what I can do to duplicate. While I am at it, I need to add a pair of those to my Suburban
TxLoneRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:49 PM   #16574
internalcombust
Yes its dirty, thanks.

Oddometer: 1,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
I agree they can be a bit variable. That one on the Scram went AWOL and they keep changing the design so later ones are more difficult to fit into the older wiring. Although, they did replace the whole lot for me FOC as it wasn't even 1 year old.
The one I have on the 800 seems better quality with a nice click to the buttons.
I had the latest version of the controller. I was told when I called them to replace it that they would willingly send me a new one, but it would just fail again. They are aware of the problem. The reason I didn't just replace it was that meant pulling my tank removing the unit and sending it in, replacing the tank to ride and then removing it again when the new one showed up. Then I would have to cross my fingers and hope the new one didn't fail on a long trip somewhere down the line. The quality is very hit or miss. I know the heat troller will last and I don't have to worry about a failure when I need it the most. YMMV.
internalcombust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:22 PM   #16575
BlackBeast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 925
Quote:
Very comprehensive doc! Thanks for that. But this is way more involved than I want to deal with for a horn replacement at this point in time. I have other things on order/coming/sitting here that I need to get to and I'm reluctant to do any non-plug-and-play solutions right now.

I have barely enough time for riding, so I don't want to spend too much time tinkering.

But again - thanks for the hints. It's super interesting, just not what I want to deal with right now.
Cug,
I'm also interested in a plug & play option, so if you do find something that fits, be sure to yell it out.
BlackBeast is offline   Reply With Quote