Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #46
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricemannv View Post
Some of the best riders I know are riding Harley Davidson motorcycles.

Very true. Unfortunatly, due to the shear number of them, some of the worst are too!

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:20 PM   #47
ROAD DAMAGE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 966
HD riders

The next time you see a big bunch of HDs parked in a row ................. take a little stroll behind them and look at their tires. That tells the story right there.

I've only seen a scant few that ever used the sides of the tires, much less wore the chicken strips. Seriously.

I find it ironic that a rider that is afraid of leaning a bike over a little, is the same guy that's so quick to "lay'er down".

Makes no sense now does it?

The tires tell the truth.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:57 AM   #48
Mountain Cruiser
Banned

Oddometer: 1,204
I think the OP's point has more to do with the rider than what bike he is riding....

Mountain Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:22 AM   #49
jsalman93
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
I always thought the idea of laying 'er down came from the days when bikes had drum brakes front and back and were not able to stop in as short of a distance as they do now. Now the idea of laying it down just seems to be an excuse in not knowing how to properly execute an emergency brake

Isn't that what killed Lawrence of Arabia ? I thought he laid his triumph down to avoid hitting a small child who ran into the street.

2006 Yamaha FZ6
1992 Suzuki Gs500e (in progress)
jsalman93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:48 AM   #50
Tripl Nikl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
I still prefer not to have ABS, since I don't trust it on steep dirt hills. I have had situations in my pickup where the brakes deactivate at the first loss of traction, resulting in a speedy trip down the boulders.
Can't you switch it off or pull the fuse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
I gotta admit, though, that one motive he had for getting the H-D was to attract the girls and it has done that for him in a big way.
My early Bronco has gotten me two girls that admitted the truck was the hook. Fine by me. So... No BS... Does a H-D bring all the girls around? Because, honestly, that's a value adder and makes all the downsides seem more reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
Is the double negative deliberate? It's delightfully ironic!
I once saw a truck running a foot of lift and 44" tires with "If it Ain't Tall, it Ain't Shit!" on a sticker across the whole back window. I thought about asking the driver if he understood what he was saying with the use of double negatives. Decided against it. Besides, I like lifted redneck trucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsalman93 View Post
Isn't that what killed Lawrence of Arabia ? I thought he laid his triumph down to avoid hitting a small child who ran into the street.
http://www.findingdulcinea.com/news/...ter-Crash.html

Hmmm, learn something new everyday. I don't think I'll be telling the MRS about this bit of trivia, however.

Tripl Nikl screwed with this post 04-03-2013 at 06:00 AM
Tripl Nikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:14 AM   #51
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 664
"I once saw a truck running a foot of lift and 44" tires with "If it Ain't Tall, it Ain't Shit!" on a sticker across the whole back window. I thought about asking the driver if he understood what he was saying with the use of double negatives. Decided against it. Besides, I like lifted redneck trucks! "

Hmmm, I was once in a coffee shop drive thru line behind a honking big F-150 that had massive tires and a lift kit, all I could see was his bumper which had a sticker on it that said "Because fat chicks can't jump".

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:37 AM   #52
slide OP
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,122
Quote:
Plenty of HD riders are not into the "outlaw biker" culture. I seen some cops on HDs that could really ride. I've also seen some ATGATT types take big GS's offroad thinking they could ride them like an XT 250 and hurt themselves.

I'm ok with the outlaw culture. I'm NOT ok with bond salesmen and dentists pretending to be outlaws. That's the new HD culture and one I detest.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:39 AM   #53
slide OP
A nation in despair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripl Nikl View Post
My early Bronco has gotten me two girls that admitted the truck was the hook. Fine by me. So... No BS... Does a H-D bring all the girls around? Because, honestly, that's a value adder and makes all the downsides seem more reasonable.
I'd say you are in an area with very eclectic chicks if they are attracted to an early Bronco (70's era first gen?).

There are two chick magnets I've seen in op and they work EVERY time: 'Vettes and Harleys.

I knew a long term single guy who got tired of it and said he was going to get a wife by first getting a 'Vette. It worked perfectly for him as it has others. IMO, the HD is even a surer bet.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:43 AM   #54
slide OP
A nation in despair

Quote:
I think the OP's point has more to do with the rider than what bike he is riding....

Yeah, I think had he been on a lighter bike, he may have had a chance to save it. Lighter and a shorter wheelbase too.

Some of those polices are scary good riders. The local ones here sure are.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:29 AM   #55
Tripl Nikl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
I'd say you are in an area with very eclectic chicks if they are attracted to an early Bronco (70's era first gen?).

There are two chick magnets I've seen in op and they work EVERY time: 'Vettes and Harleys.

I knew a long term single guy who got tired of it and said he was going to get a wife by first getting a 'Vette. It worked perfectly for him as it has others. IMO, the HD is even a surer bet.
Yup, started out as a '68. Now it's a '71 due to a frame swap, but it's pretty much a Johnny Cash Caddy--'71 frame, '73 block, 60-something t-case, etc., etc.. And chicks dig it! When I get it back together I think I'm going to need to sell it to a LA lawyer as a high class "beach bum" surf rig.

And then buy a Corvette or H-D!

I've learned 3 good things in this thread (so far!).
Tripl Nikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:45 PM   #56
FlySniper
Bleh...

Oddometer: 1,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
My rule of thumb: never exit the bike unless the bike is exiting the Earth, e.g. you have permission to "lay 'er down" if within the next few feet you're about to plummet off the side of an alpine pass.

Otherwise, brake and/or maneuver like you're supposed to.

Hmmmph. That's called a "jump". It's sorta' like a wheelie, except both wheels leave the ground.

"Think about how stupid the average person is. Now, realise that half of them are dumber than that." - George Carlin
FlySniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:53 PM   #57
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
My rule of thumb: never exit the bike unless the bike is exiting the Earth, e.g. you have permission to "lay 'er down" if within the next few feet you're about to plummet off the side of an alpine pass.

Otherwise, brake and/or maneuver like you're supposed to.
I believe you are also allowed to "lay 'er down" if you are about to be ride straight into the side of a tractor trailer and be decapitated.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #58
dirty_t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Cool2

Well I'm a Harley rider - have been for a fair many years. And I've owned a few other brands, too. And I used to race, which is where I learned that the front brakes actually do work better than the rear in many situations. And I have ridden with a lot of HD riders over the years who still like to use the 'layer down' phrase, which I quickly correct them on. BUT - I have also read posts from the calimari set who talk about the 'accident' they got in when they ran wide up on Skyline and ended up in the armco or eating pavement.

To me that's almost as lame, and in some ways worse - because a lot of people think in terms of crashing as an accident, when in fact, mostly crashes are not 'accidents' - they are a result of poor choices, poor skills, and bad luck all coming together (as others have already said).

So I've been reflecting on this as I get ready to pick up my first R12GS and get back into adventure riding. A good buddy who I ride with was giving me crap about getting a beemer, and I texted him the following, which I considered using in my sig file on this board, but thought better of:

When you're done running around looking like a rodeo clown wearing assless chaps and fringe, and a pudding bowl on your head, and riding an 800 pound brick that corners like a Calistoga wagon...you might be ready for a BMW."
- To all my HD bros and sisters

Dunno. What do you think?

Anyway, 'layer down', 'accident', whatever - I agree with most of what's already been said. OP - do your buddy a favor and remind him crashing is crashing, and not acceptable on a bike.
dirty_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:40 PM   #59
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,381
I never had to 'lay a bike down' so I cant say anything about that.
But after having a few, I know that most bikes from the motor company can not lean much before dragging hard parts, so looking at the tires will not tell you much about rider skill.
Hanging off is not very popular on Harley's for some reason, maybe the forward controls, or is it the ape hangers?
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:40 PM   #60
slide OP
A nation in despair

I didn't say nor do I think that HD riders are worse riders than on other marques. It's just that that layer down phrase is not only exclusive to HD, but seems to be, to many of them, an expression of heroism as if they let out a sigh and with regret, laid their bike over on its side as a last resort for a short stop.

I never heard ANY other marque rider say similar.