User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 12:58 AM   #31
bigtodd
Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer: 1,323
Friday Lost Tour Continued

Bill and I caught up to the group in Ridgecrest who had just finished their lunch. We all bombed off for the Pinnacles and had a nice ride out to the site.

Everyone regrouping after some exploring

After Bill and I made sure everyone was on their way back out towards Trona, we were riding out and I came across Sean from Rawhyde who was leading a group through DV. He had just done 2,000 miles with the Frenchies riding the new wet GS bikes on the One World Tour. That dude has a great gig.

Things got a little hectic after that and no more pics. One of the GS800 riders had a yard sale moment going out to the Pinnacles and we had a very technical ride down to Pennamint Valley ahead of us. That had a couple riders bail on that and slabbed it then we had a guy go down a couple of times and got banged up pretty good on his last one. Finn did a great job as ride leader making sure everyone got back to camp. We got to practice a 3 rider, 2 bike shuffle back to the highway to get the injured rider out. Quite a day!

SPOT - bigtodd - where I at now?
bigtodd.whereamiriding.com
bigtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:17 AM   #32
bigtodd
Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer: 1,323
My Saturday planned ride had me a little nervous as I was going to be riding with some REALLY HEAVY HITTERS that ride really fast. I honestly was just hoping to keep them in sight and not be a liability.

The first part of our ride had us retracing the first part of my Friday ride and wow did we cover that track fast. Then it was a race up the mountain to Cerro Gordo.

The A team looking out over Owens Valley; Pat (Pomo), Rob (FZCruizer), Peter (Grinch), Shawn (Dzrtracin), John (Johngil), Jimmy (1224R); not pictured Bill (conteacher) and Chris (browneye).

In Cerro Gordo was the first time I realized how young one of the riders was, Pat (Pomo) for sure is going to get carded at the bar.

From Cerro Gordo we headed for the Salt Tram, going up and down that trail chasing these guys was a real confidence booster for me ... a long as I didn't look off the side ... yikes.

John and Shawn discussing engineering

Grinch not so interested in engineering

A nice gathering

Pretty sure Jimmy is having a moment of premonition of what Sunday morning is going to feel like

SPOT - bigtodd - where I at now?
bigtodd.whereamiriding.com

bigtodd screwed with this post 04-03-2013 at 09:59 AM
bigtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:02 AM   #33
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 47,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamin_mathis View Post
I drank with these guys both nights, good guys, they said they are just lurkers so they may not even be on the forum. I can't remeber names but I can tell you the work in Valencia. Come on out from the shadows lurkers and join.
I partied a bit with the kid on the left Sat night, that is until he went to bed early...~3am...the lightweight.

That oughta bring him out.

PS I also told him that he'd be better off getting a cheaper bike to learn to ride in the dirt because dropping that big bike has to suck in several ways.

PPS - Jimmy Lewis supplied the Keg and the tap.

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.

Stinez screwed with this post 04-03-2013 at 08:07 AM
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:44 AM   #34
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,132
quick note

I went all the way to a DV Rally and never even made it into the park! Panamint Valley just had too much to offer for me to make it in there this year.

Great fun on two Lost tours of duty. Finn and Nancy are great ride leaders.

Really enjoyed meeting and riding with Dan and Casey.

My trip started near San Jose, and I didn't want to ride all the way to DV in one day so I stayed the night in the San Joaquin Valley with family. I hate the I-5 and H-99 routes South (101 ain't much better) so I take my time with H25 from Hollister. This goes thru Tres Pinos, so you might as well stop at Flapjacks for grub:

Then 198 thru Coalinga and I tried a different route east this time: straight out of Coalinga on Polk St, becomes Jayne Ave, then Nevada Ave after going under I-5 and crossing Avenal Cutoff Rd. This road goes thru, straight thru, what was once the largest lake west of the Mississippi River: Tulare Lake.

During high runoff years it got up over 700 square miles in size, but most of it was very shallow. I was told there was a sustainable turtle fishery that supplied San Francisco, truck-pulled seine nets would haul in thousands of pounds of fish at a pull, and ducks would blacken the sky, before it was drained and converted to agriculture. You wouldn't recognize it as a lake bed today; this is looking due south from just east of Stratford straight thru the heart of what was once Tulare Lake:

I didn't bother with Nevada Ave; it was a busy dusty dirt ag road, but it sure would be something to have a lake in that part of the valley. So off to a great night with family, then the next morning I took my favorite route over the Southern Sierra Nevada: Old Stage Rd to Greenhorn Pass, thru Kernville, and down 178.

More later after I get some paid work done...

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #35
outlaws
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Some fellow I have never met returned most if not all the tools I had lost on the trail when the bag it was carried in exploded. I can't believe someone found it let alone found a way to get it back to me. To top it off he didn't want to be reimbursed with shipping cost. What an awesome group of peeps!

outlaws is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:47 AM   #36
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,566
You say that now but if you knew what those pliers and webbing went through before being returned you might think otherwise...

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaws View Post
Some fellow I have never met returned most if not all the tools I had lost on the trail when the bag it was carried in exploded. I can't believe someone found it let alone found a way to get it back to me. To top it off he didn't want to be reimbursed with shipping cost. What an awesome group of peeps!

DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:54 AM   #37
Dustodust
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 776
Looks like it would have been a fun ride just for the entertainment value alone. Seeing the bottom of all those bikes, bike parts and body parts scattered along the trail would have been a hoot !, hope there was a paramedic and tow truck following you guys !
Old 04-03-2013, 11:31 AM   #38
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
We farm all that land at Jayne and I5!
Beautiful place, aint it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle View Post
I went all the way to a DV Rally and never even made it into the park! Panamint Valley just had too much to offer for me to make it in there this year.

Great fun on two Lost tours of duty. Finn and Nancy are great ride leaders.

Really enjoyed meeting and riding with Dan and Casey.

My trip started near San Jose, and I didn't want to ride all the way to DV in one day so I stayed the night in the San Joaquin Valley with family. I hate the I-5 and H-99 routes South (101 ain't much better) so I take my time with H25 from Hollister. This goes thru Tres Pinos, so you might as well stop at Flapjacks for grub:

Then 198 thru Coalinga and I tried a different route east this time: straight out of Coalinga on Polk St, becomes Jayne Ave, then Nevada Ave after going under I-5 and crossing Avenal Cutoff Rd. This road goes thru, straight thru, what was once the largest lake west of the Mississippi River: Tulare Lake.

During high runoff years it got up over 700 square miles in size, but most of it was very shallow. I was told there was a sustainable turtle fishery that supplied San Francisco, truck-pulled seine nets would haul in thousands of pounds of fish at a pull, and ducks would blacken the sky, before it was drained and converted to agriculture. You wouldn't recognize it as a lake bed today; this is looking due south from just east of Stratford straight thru the heart of what was once Tulare Lake:

I didn't bother with Nevada Ave; it was a busy dusty dirt ag road, but it sure would be something to have a lake in that part of the valley. So off to a great night with family, then the next morning I took my favorite route over the Southern Sierra Nevada: Old Stage Rd to Greenhorn Pass, thru Kernville, and down 178.

More later after I get some paid work done...
Old 04-03-2013, 11:31 AM   #39
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Don't forget all the spoons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM8 View Post
You say that now but if you knew what those pliers and webbing went through before being returned you might think otherwise...

Old 04-03-2013, 02:11 PM   #40
DSM8

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKay View Post
Don't forget all the spoons!
Not going there....

< walks away from keyboard >
Old 04-03-2013, 02:23 PM   #41
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 47,117
I'll add another random picture just for the heck of it.

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:28 PM   #42
DSM8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinez View Post
There is nothing random about that Bob with Beer/Food in his hand...random is the pic of him without it...

I am glad he doesn't know where I live..

Old 04-03-2013, 02:32 PM   #43
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinez View Post

Damn that is a good looking chef! Beer in the chili is always good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM8 View Post
There is nothing random about that Bob with Beer/Food in his hand...random is the pic of him without it...

I am glad he doesn't know where I live..

A devil cat whispered it in my ear. I may not be able to use my left arm, but I know that you can't run.

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:38 PM   #44
DSM8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
A devil cat whispered it in my ear. I may not be able to use my left arm, but I know that you can't run.
Dammit now I have to get the bear load for the 12ga out in case you come knocking, at least you can only use the right arm so I have a chance...

Old 04-03-2013, 02:48 PM   #45
sopascat
aka "DevilCat"

Oddometer: 3,383