User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 10:51 AM   #1036
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Oddometer: 715
Röhrich,

As with all of these bikes of this antiquity, ebay seems to be the default destination for parts shoppers.

However, many of these parts are still available from Honda, since they were used across much of the model line.

A great source of information on three-wheelers is 3-wheeler world:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/forum.php

Make sure that you misspell words and use The Official Southern U.S. Lexicon by sprinkling words like "y'all" and "howdy" into your posts. You'll fit right in if you remember that Nascar is a religion and Lynyrd Skynyrd is eternal.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 04-03-2013, 07:18 PM   #1037
NZer-BWheeler
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Hi all, have replaced my rear stock tyre on my 200 with a 25" rear, and have noticed an increase in speed. Was wondering if I can further increase it by down sizing the rear sprocket. Currently its the standard 37T. Would anyone know where I could sourse possibly a 35T . One other thing I have noticed in different threads is the talk of the rear sprocket being dished. I have a BW200N and the sprocket on it isnt dished at all, was this a later thought on newer models, or is mine not stock. The rear chain seems to run fine etc.
NZer-BWheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:43 PM   #1038
Cliff h
[IMG]http://i219.pho

Oddometer: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZer-BWheeler View Post
Hi all, have replaced my rear stock tyre on my 200 with a 25" rear, and have noticed an increase in speed. Was wondering if I can further increase it by down sizing the rear sprocket. Currently its the standard 37T. Would anyone know where I could sourse possibly a 35T . One other thing I have noticed in different threads is the talk of the rear sprocket being dished. I have a BW200N and the sprocket on it isnt dished at all, was this a later thought on newer models, or is mine not stock. The rear chain seems to run fine etc.
The sprocket is dished on a 350, but I believe that it is flat on a 200 and will not interchange between the two bikes. If you want to gear down for a bit slower top speed, you will need to increase the size of your rear sprocket, or downsize your front sprocket on your secondary (rear) chain. I am not sure what is available for the 200's, but our beloved 350's sprockets are becoming increasingly difficult to find. Good luck!
Cliff h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:15 AM   #1039
Moore
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Hi guys,
I told my computer illiterate neighbor that I'd do some research on his BW350 for him. I tried to find "the forum" (I figured there was a forum for everything) but all I can find is a Yahoo group and it wants me to get a Yahoo email address just to look at it. How 1990s is that?? I didn't even know Yahoo still existed lol. Is there a forum for these things?
Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:14 AM   #1040
sticker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
I signed up to the Yahoo group cuz I've had email with them for a long time but I find that site/forum to be a pain in the arse to navigate. I get updates via my email but I never go into the forum. Personally IMO this forum is much better both for pics and info. Yeah...Yahoo is stuck in the '90's!!!
sticker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #1041
NZer-BWheeler
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff h View Post
The sprocket is dished on a 350, but I believe that it is flat on a 200 and will not interchange between the two bikes. If you want to gear down for a bit slower top speed, you will need to increase the size of your rear sprocket, or downsize your front sprocket on your secondary (rear) chain. I am not sure what is available for the 200's, but our beloved 350's sprockets are becoming increasingly difficult to find. Good luck!
Cliff, I want a bit more speed, so am looking at down sizing the rear sprocket-was wondering if theres any other make or model that might substitute
NZer-BWheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:12 PM   #1042
Shercoman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
I use this website but they don't list a rear sprocket for the 350.
http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/model/6409

The dish isn't that big of a problem.Spacers can be made....
Shercoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:16 PM   #1043
Cliff h

Oops, I misread your post. Most people want to gear down for larger tires, I didn't read your post thoroughly. Maybe someone else will chime in, but I am not sure what if any rear sprocket interchanges on a BW 200.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:20 PM   #1044
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Oddometer: 715
Cliff knows that more teeth equals slower speed. He had the largest sprocket ever seen on a BW and topped off at about 20 mph. It dragged through the dirt when he made left turns.

Yesterday just happened to be Opposite Day in Alaska, so Cliff was just offering backwards advice to comply with local traditions.

I spent the day thanking Obama for the awesome job he's done on the economy.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 04-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #1045
Cliff h

What Mr. Bigwheel said:

Fewer teeth = fewer teeth. Luckily he rides with a Dentist.

My #1 350 came with a 47 tooth rear sprocket. I was not familiar with the bikes then and thought that it was stock. The sprocket was not dished and I was having problems with my chain staying on due to incorrect alignment. Also top speed was something like 30-35 mph, which at the time I thought was a design feature of the BW to compensate for the inadequate stock brakes on the bike.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:19 AM   #1046
Shercoman
Gnarly Adventurer

Mr. BW/Cliff
I am doing the long travel conversion to my BW now.
Using '85 Tri-Z forks and the YFZ600 rear shock with remote reservoir.

My question:this shock is designed to run with the shock body on top but the top mount will not allow this because of the hose.
I see from the pics that you guys are running with the body on the bottom and that is how mine is presently mounted.
Does this affect the damping of the shock,running upside down?
Old 04-06-2013, 12:08 PM   #1047
Cliff h

Spoiler alert! Mr. Bigwheel (aka traitor) is out riding snowmachines today! Shame on him! My loyalty to Bigwheels (and the fact that there is a blizzard outside), has kept me home stoking the BW fires.

Shercoman,
As you have discovered, there is not sufficient room to run the shock in the standard upright position, it must be mounted upside down. This seems not to have any adverse effect on dampening. Although I have been unable to mount the shock upright to compare. My stock BW shock seemed to have no dampening whatsoever, so the YZF shock in addition to increased ride height, will offer a degree of dampening which I found sufficient. You will enjoy the longer travel on both ends, and the disc brake will offer better stopping ability.

Cliff.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #1048
Shercoman
Gnarly Adventurer

Cliff/Mr. BW

Did you use the YZF spring or the BW spring on the shock?

Do you know how many CCs of oil go in each fork leg for 1985 TriZ 250 forks?

I know you guys are using '86 but thought you might know.
Thanks.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:34 PM   #1049
Cliff h

We are using the YZF spring. It may not be the ideal spring rate, but it isn't that bad either. We have talked about getting custom shock/springs made, but it has just been bench racing thus far.

I am not sure how much oil the Tri-z forks hold. I do know that we used a cauldron of different weight oils not for performance, but because it's what was on hand at the time. I am running a '85 fork on my #1 bike, and an '86 on the #2 bike.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:15 AM   #1050
dvgonzo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Bye-bye BW....

Well call me a traitor but I am bailing out on the Big Wheels!

Do not get me wrong, I do love em, but due to a knee replacement, lack of time AND places to ride I am selling out.

Never really rode it much, always seemed to take a real dirt bike when I went out, so it has mostly been a shed queen.

Am STILL having issues linking pics to this site so just put it on Craigslist.

Did not know it was taboo to link CL ads....WHOOPS!

dvgonzo screwed with this post 04-08-2013 at 10:55 AM
dvgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote