User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 09:47 PM   #1
brycekauai OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Elite CH150 Overheating

So a few quick questions. Got the scooter up to 55 today on a flat road. Here are the symptoms. I drove the scooter around my neighborhood and didn't get over 30mph. When I returned home about 10min's later, I left the scooter idling and it got really close to the red Line on the Temp gauge. So I then took it out on the more open highway to see if it would cool down and it did. And it cooled down really fast as well going 50mph. The fan is not coming on unless I jump it. I even tried jumping the fan once the engine was super hot and it didn't seem to cool the engine down at all. And yes I did replace the coolant. I think the Thermostat on the radiator is broken for sure, but does that explain why its not cooling down unless I'm hauling ass down the road.

1.How do I know if coolant is going through the engine?
2.Is there a way to pressure test the system?
3.What part is most likely at fault?

Mahalo
brycekauai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #2
bbishoppcm
It ain't a moped.

Oddometer: 666
It sounds like your thermoswitch is faulty, and you may even have a faulty thermostat (the thermoswitch is on the rad, the thermostat is just off the head). There isn't much that normally goes wrong with these cooling systems outside of those two components.
bbishoppcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:31 PM   #3
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,744
HOnda thermostat switches are common iteam to go. you can spend 30 bucks for a new one or so . the one for a helix might fit there only 10 bucks. http://www.scrappydogscooters.com/CF...led_parts.html
You could also just do what allot of people do wire up a switch to turn the fan on and off. IF you want to get fancy you could wire it up so as long as the key is turned on it's on. Fleabay or your local bike yard is the only place to get used one cheap if the helix one doesn't work. 50 bucks plus from honda Oem. To test the pusure test the system is the same as an auto. Same tool. If you pull into a rad shop and ask if they could do it , they well. More then likely free Really sound liek a bad switch is the problem. You could pull out the thermostat from the housing and see if that cure the issue. You ll have to make a gasket if you do that but all you need a thin cardboard to make one up. Just youtube making gaskets to see how it's done if you don't know .

fullmetalscooter screwed with this post 03-24-2013 at 09:38 PM
fullmetalscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:35 PM   #4
riddleofsteel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Here is the story on my CH150. When I first got it I drove to the local bike shop to get it inspected. On the way back I got stuck in traffic in 90 degree weather. At one stop light that seemed about 5 minutes long I noticed the temp gauge was getting close to the red mark. Just as I was ready to cut the engine off to prevent overheating the fan cut on and the temp slowing went down a little but to my mind the engine was still showing to be hot. As I pulled off and speed up to 45 MPH the engine temp moved back to the mid range.
When I got home I did a couple of experiments with the engine idling and got the same results. I took the cooling system apart and flushed the system looking for rust, negative. I tested the thermostat and it was opening correctly. Likewise the thermo switch for the fan was cutting on per specs. Paranoid as I am I ordered a new thermo switch and installed it plus refilled the cooling system with non silica coolant mix.
Essentially the system still does the same thing. In 90 degree plus weather the bike will heat up if it is not moving but the fan comes on just short of the red and prevents critical overheating. Still kinda scary to me but the bike does not seem to suffer any.
riddleofsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:03 AM   #5
brycekauai OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Thank you for your comments guys. I haven't had a chance to pull the thermo meter on the Radiator. But just so I'm clear, thats the one that turns on the fan right? Or the one by the carb? It runs great though and stays cool when I'm moving. Luckily on Kauai I don't have many stop lights or traffic so I'm not to worried about it for now. Mahalo
brycekauai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:52 PM   #6
bbishoppcm
It ain't a moped.

Oddometer: 666
My Helix's fan kicks on at the last green bar or just below it... never overheated on me. I'm replacing the thermostat and rear hoses (floorboards-back) due to extreme boredom... well, my thermostat housing appears to be seeping slightly where it meets the head, and to replace that rubber o-ring I need to tear it all apart... when in rome.
bbishoppcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #7
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,744
One thing you can do that s little bit of cash is go to one of the new waterless coolants on the market made for cars. It 3 times the price of the normal stuff but it also runs 20% cooler and last forever. No water to coroad the rad etc.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:01 PM   #8
creighta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
One of my helixes took to overheating once. Mine was a broken water pump, sounds bad but not terrible to fix. If the 150 is similar and you changed coolant you probably have an air lock in the line. Remove the rad cap and let it run, if it doesntbelch the air out, you may have to drain it and put the coolant back in. Put a bit in, start the bike and let it run while you add the rest.

Air around the temp sensor can keep the fan from knows ng that it is hot, but could also be bad sensor and air.
creighta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:16 PM   #9
Wentwest
How's that work?

Oddometer: 527
The sensor on the radiator is pretty far down, I think. It should be in the coolant, even if there is an air bubble. Mostly, these are surprising little machines that run and run with a minimum of screw ups. They were designed for people to ride them and be completely ignorant of what was going on inside the plastic.

My experience is like others. The fan almost never goes on unless you are idling for a long time and not moving. Once you start moving it cools down fast and everything is OK. The only time my 150 ever got hot it was because the radiator cap was loose and there was no pressure in the system. So I guess it would be good to check the gasket on the cap, but really I think you are just getting used to the reliable and steady Honda engineering.

My advice to rebuilders and fixer up owners like me is to just do what you have to do to get it to run, replace the old cracked or hard tires, and ride it through a tank or two of gas, with a little Seafoam or other carb cleaner in the gas. Not a lot, just some. You'll get used to it and to how it operates and then you can get to the fine tuning.

Take it exploring up the back roads on Kauai and, if you are not sure it's reliable, bring a cell phone. Otherwise, just put some miles on it.
Wentwest is offline   Reply With Quote