Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #31
MariusD OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
Cool, thanks for the pic. Was it a PITA to mount? how long did it take u? One of my concerns is that i can't spend a whole day trying to figure it out.

As a side note: I see so many poeple running handguards... makes me think I "need" them too.
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:58 AM   #32
tommyhof
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusD View Post
I'm so glad you chimed in. I had no idea about the givi airflow screen, but it looks like a really good option. Especially since no separate brackets are needed. I think i will order it tonight cuz I don't have much time to kill anymore. Thanks again for that suggestion, really appreciate it!

I will also skip the handguards. I can't imagine i'd need them much, especially down here in the south where it's stupid hot most of the year.
Do not skip the hand guards, they are good/GREAT wind protection, you will be happy with the ear plugs just simple ones (foam type) from Walmart or wherever, the ride is so much better and you still hear fine.
COG 6517
tommyhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:50 AM   #33
MariusD OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyhof View Post
Do not skip the hand guards, they are good/GREAT wind protection, you will be happy with the ear plugs just simple ones (foam type) from Walmart or wherever, the ride is so much better and you still hear fine.
Agree. Definitely getting earplugs!

So handguards really are helpful you say.... I thought that might be the case... Dang, I have done no homework on them at all, and don't really have time today. If someone can give me an idea on what might be some quality ones to look into, that'd be awesome.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:31 AM   #34
JoshS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusD View Post
The more I think about it the more I'm tempted to pick up one of the top cases you guys recommend.

So it's Garage pro ($45) VS bestem 929($90)

Is the bestem really much better? I do like the led light it has for some extra caution and it is a little sexier... hmmm...

If i order tonight I can probably still get it in time for the trip, I'll just have to probably install it the night before i leave, which sucks, but oh well...

So what y'all think?
I'm not sure how much better the Bestem is. TBH I never saw the JC Whitney one before, but I do like the extra visibility from the lights. I've also seen other posts on advrider and stromtrooper.com that give pretty good reviews to the Bestem and how easy it is to install. That doesn't mean the other one isn't good, though. I'm leery of things that seem to be too cheap, but also not going to spring for a high dollar Givi or equivalent.
JoshS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #35
ALinUTAH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
I tried my stock windshield on the low position. It's better. Still noisy, but better. The lower and upper positions move the shield away from the fairing so some air can get under there. I think that probably makes more difference than the height. I have a givi ordered tho. If you don't get yours in time that's something you could try.

And definitely wear earplugs. Not only will it save your hearing (I have significant hearing loss and tinnitus and wouldn't wish it on anybody) you won't get so exhausted from the constant rush of wind noise day after day. -al
ALinUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:03 PM   #36
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,486
The Bestem is a good case for road use. It doesn't work off-road unless you favor searching ditches to find where the pig shook off, but this can also be said for the much more expensive GIVI cases. The Bestem is a virtual copy of the GIVI, and the mount is interchangeable for some models.

It's not too much a PITA to mount. The mount plate is usable across a wide range of applications, and may, at most require a little light drilling.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:13 AM   #37
MariusD OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks everyone. Can't make up my mind on what to do about the top case yet... grrrr... I guess I don't need it bad enough.

After a bunch of research on handguards last night I ordered the barkbuster strorm ones from twisted throttle, with the matching bar end wights. They have some new part number now 46.6, instead of the old 31, so I'm hoping they fit the strom better than the tight fit that 31 part number had. So should be pretty nice, even thought there's a good chance I won't get them in time.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:40 AM   #38
MariusD OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Dang....Barkbusters are on a 4 week back-order.

I ordered a few other things that will be very useful.

Bestem 929 topcase -leds and slightly sexier looks swayed me
Motech 12v bracket mount
Motech 12v socket with fuse
Motech footpegs (dang expensive @ 150 bucks, better be worth it)
Grip puppes

...and I'm calling it good!
That's all she wrote, cuz that's all the paper she had...

lol...
Old 04-05-2013, 12:04 PM   #39
FlyFishJeff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
You might consider a radiator guard and skidplate to prevent road debris from bringing your trip to an early end. The skidplate will protect the exposed oil filter.

I have the R&G radiator guard and Yann's skidplate and highway pegs. I'm extremely impressed with Yann's stuff - highly recommended.

Also, a front fender extender is nice for keeping rainy-day slop off of your engine.

You probably wouldn't have guessed that I've had a blast farkling my 2012 DL650.
FlyFishJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:54 PM   #40
MariusD OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishJeff View Post
You might consider a radiator guard and skidplate to prevent road debris from bringing your trip to an early end. The skidplate will protect the exposed oil filter.

I have the R&G radiator guard and Yann's skidplate and highway pegs. I'm extremely impressed with Yann's stuff - highly recommended.

Also, a front fender extender is nice for keeping rainy-day slop off of your engine.

You probably wouldn't have guessed that I've had a blast farkling my 2012 DL650.
You know I did notice how dirty the bottom half of the bike gets in a rainy day. So it's good to know they make these fender extenders. I'm spent for now anyway, but i'm sure I'll be looking into some additional things at a later date. Thanks for the yann suggestion, had never heard of them before.

Now that i ordered all this stuff, its funny to think back to when I was ONLY going to get bar risers, foot lowering kit and airhawk r and was going to call it good. About $600 later... I'm still finding stuff I absolutely "need" to get. Oh man...
Old 04-05-2013, 06:27 PM   #41
fishrman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
let me know how those motech foot pegs work out. Was looking to get those or the pivot pegs.
fishrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:32 AM   #42
MariusD OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Will do. Should have everything on the bike by wednesday morning.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #43
ALinUTAH
Studly Adventurer

I just installed my givi airflow, and all I can say is WOW! Totally silent at 70mph. Slide it down and you get some air but its clean air, not noisy turbulent air. I can actually hear the engine. I don't think earplugs will even be necessary.

Al
Old 04-06-2013, 05:46 PM   #44
welder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALinUTAH View Post
I just installed my givi airflow, and all I can say is WOW! Totally silent at 70mph. Slide it down and you get some air but its clean air, not noisy turbulent air. I can actually hear the engine. I don't think earplugs will even be necessary.

Al
I did not think ear plugs were necessary until I tried riding with them about 5yrs. ago. Would not ride without them now
Old 04-06-2013, 06:23 PM   #45
ALinUTAH
Studly Adventurer

I've always worn earplugs on the highway. But I'm saying that's how quiet it is with the givi windshield. Really amazing. Al