Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 12:56 AM   #106
cogitate OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,941
You do realize that it is an Aprils fool joke?

That said, boy, do I dig this car. At about 1200 miles now, I am more comfortable putting the VSC control in sport mode, without worrying that the car will get too talihappy around a corner. Still averaging about 31 MPG, all around driving. Good purchase for me. Only weird defect is that there is slight cracking in the paint where the Subaru badge is in the nose. It is under the clear coat, you really have to look for it, can't see it from a foot away. Looks like it happened when they painted the bumper and maybe test fitted the badge .

I am not going to do anything about it, don't want the dealer to take off the bumper, or paint it, as the work from the dealer would not be as good as the factory, and there is a good chance the fix would probably be worse than the defect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtypumpkin View Post
Looks like something is in the works.

Turbo Diesel and AWD!

http://media.subaru.com/newsrelease.do?id=432&mid=1

Apparently fed up with critics who say that the Subaru BRZ isn't getting the job done for enthusiasts on its own merits, the folks at Fuji Heavy will announce on Monday, April 1 that the next Subaru BRZ will have an all-wheel-drive turbo diesel convertible version in 2015.

There have been a ton of rumors about the next BRZ, so Subaru decided to just confirm all of them. Here's what they say about the car in a press release that came out a few days early:

A spokesman for the company said: “Having just launched the current model to widespread critical acclaim, we are tired of fighting off the constant speculation about what’s “next” and so we are just giving in and delivering all the speculation in one vehicle.”

The new model, which is expected to have a starting price, will however NOT come with a much anticipated rear back-up camera. The spokesman confirmed that after shoehorning two convertible switches (up and down) onto the fascia there just wasn’t room for any more instruments. The AWD Turbo Convertible two-seater Diesel Hybrid BRZ will come in a single color, noseeum black and will be hand produced at Subaru’s Brigadoon facility.

What more could you want in a pure sports car than all of those things? We can't wait to drive this bad boy, which is almost certainly legit and not a joke.

"The Howtostretch Handbook", a guide to stretching, free download
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:51 PM   #107
dirtypumpkin
"Monster Truck Bike"

Oddometer: 13,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitate View Post
You do realize that it is an Aprils fool joke?
Yeah, I thought it was a good one from Subaru PR.
Nice to hear the BRZ is keeping you happy.
If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies,
jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness, and fears. -- Glenn Clark
dirtypumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:42 AM   #108
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,132
Quote:
Only weird defect is that there is slight cracking in the paint where the Subaru badge is in the nose. It is under the clear coat, you really have to look for it, can't see it from a foot away. Looks like it happened when they painted the bumper and maybe test fitted the badge .

How weird. Lots of Fiat Abarths have the same problem -- some very minor paint chipping/flaking right above the front badge. I think the badges are being applied too soon after paint and possible too tightly.

Mine is doing and I'm not going to bother having it fixed for the same reason you won't. one can only see it if you are about a foot away from the badge, kneeling down looking directly at it.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:21 PM   #109
cogitate OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
How weird. Lots of Fiat Abarths have the same problem -- some very minor paint chipping/flaking right above the front badge. I think the badges are being applied too soon after paint and possible too tightly.

Mine is doing and I'm not going to bother having it fixed for the same reason you won't. one can only see it if you are about a foot away from the badge, kneeling down looking directly at it.

Funny, yours too! There is a guy who has one nearby my house, it is blue, mine's white. I took a look at his badge area and where the darker color would really show the cracks under the clear coat, his had none.

The fix would be worse than the problem, and its gonna see a lot more stuff in terms of chips in its lifetime anyway.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:07 AM   #110
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,547
Quote:
Funny, yours too! There is a guy who has one nearby my house, it is blue, mine's white. I took a look at his badge area and where the darker color would really show the cracks under the clear coat, his had none.

The fix would be worse than the problem, and its gonna see a lot more stuff in terms of chips in its lifetime anyway.

The best paint job is the first paint job I always say. Yes, leave it alone.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:14 PM   #111
Kris
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Just looked at the scion version at the Peoria auto show. Very nice! That up top oil filter placement is excellent. I have not owned a Subie before, have they always put the filter on top or is that new?
The car just felt right and that is just sitting in it and not driving.
Biggest disappointment was sitting in the new Camaro, the vision out even forward is poor.
Kris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:45 PM   #112
cogitate OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
Just looked at the scion version at the Peoria auto show. Very nice! That up top oil filter placement is excellent. I have not owned a Subie before, have they always put the filter on top or is that new?
Biggest disappointment was sitting in the new Camaro, the vision out even forward is poor.
I had a Subie wagon back in 81, I don't remember the filter being on top. I don't remember changing the oil either!

That said, this car has exceeded my expectations. In all ways. And to think I went in just to look at it and bought it just on the reviews in the magazines and online. No test drive either.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:34 AM   #113
cogitate OP
Beastly Adventurer

Bump!

Still loving the car, I get to drive it a lot now that I have a girlfriend 25 miles from my house, and I see her a often

Serving its purpose as date car and driving fun all at once. It steadily gets a little over 29 mpg, and I ain't taking it easy. Oil changed early (at 2.5k) because the service was free and the dealer called me in. Gave the car the once over there, all good.

What's funny to me is that I also have a daily driver, an 02 Civic SI with 100k on it. It has been flawless, but after I drive the Subie I swear I feel hesitation in the acceleration, etc, and I am not sure if it needs new plugs (just put in a can of sea foam, and a new air filter), or that my seat of the pants is comparing it to the Subie.

Life is good, excellent car for me.

Old 11-16-2013, 12:17 PM   #114
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
Considering the engine is part Toyota, part Subaru, and taking into account that Toyota fits oil filters ontop of a handful of cars, I'd say that is a Toyota thing.

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:55 PM   #115
Wingnut037
Two Sheds

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Life is good, excellent car for me.
If you ever want to drive it up to the northern end of the county, I would be happy to show you around Palomar Mountain. Worth the drive.
Wingnut037 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:25 PM   #116
cogitate OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut037 View Post
If you ever want to drive it up to the northern end of the county, I would be happy to show you around Palomar Mountain. Worth the drive.

Thanks! I know Palomar pretty well, live a lot closer than my cryptic location under my avatar

I have not been up there in a while, need to make some time. To tell you the truth, the squids screaming around me, inside of me, etc, really ruined Palomar for me. Not like I ride a KLR really slow, either

Old 11-16-2013, 05:31 PM   #117
Wingnut037
Two Sheds

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Thanks! I know Palomar pretty well, live a lot closer than my cryptic location under my avatar

I have not been up there in a while, need to make some time. To tell you the truth, the squids screaming around me, inside of me, etc, really ruined Palomar for me. Not like I ride a KLR really slow, either
Ahh. I was just looking for an excuse to ride in one lol. If any of those bikes were a black WR-X...wasn't me...Did I mention I have good fishing and beer?
Wingnut037 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: