Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 07:35 PM   #121
duck851
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber60015 View Post
There is the answer -- your midlife crisis cage is a girlfriend with an Elise.

ADV comes through again.
And she is 12 years younger than I am and owns her own company. In fact, I live in her house and she lets me drive that lotus whenever I want. I never thought about how good I have it, I guess I'll have to let her blow me when she comes home.
duck851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:53 PM   #122
neanderthal
globeriding wannabe

Oddometer: 1,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watasnake View Post
OK, I now have enough saved up to buy a mid-life crisis car. But... so many options, that is where you come in. None of my close friends care about cars I have a narrowed list, trying to keep around 40Kish max. I want something different/unique - not a vette, muscle car, etc. I see them all the time. Here is the list so far:
1. Morgan 3 wheeler (new)
2. Caterham 7 or any of the copies (used of course)
3. Lotus Elise or Extige (used)
4. M3 (used) - not so unique
5. Porsche speedster replica
6. Ford Model T speedster chop?
7. Anything else

Looking for some input - pros/cons you see. I probably won't bring the thing to the track because I would want to baby the thing - sad I know. I understand the "Don't get the Caterham R500 because you don't go to the track. But - that would be a really wild ride to "have" Get my drift? Just a play thing. Ready, set, discuss
Really hard to make a concrete suggestion without knowing what you want from this car. Sports? Something with AC? Looks? Resale? Classic? Modern? Concours? To tinker with? To cruise with?

I suggest a BMW 2002.

You want something comparatively rare. Check.
Comparatively sporty. Check.
Somewhat vintage. Check.
Classic styling. Check.
Tinker-able? Check.
Air Conditioning? Available.
Looks? CHECK. (I might be biased.)
Resale? Check.

You can get good ones for a quarter of your budget.

I wouldn't take a daily driver to the track though.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:33 AM   #123
TiPirate
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.0 View Post
my mom has one of these - had it since new. She drives it like a grandma (which she is). Its fast enough in a straight line, but it really handles like shit. The interior is a weird blend of old jaguar and sporty and you seem to sit on the seats, not in them, which is strange for a "sports" car. She likes it well enough, but it has had its problems like needing a new transmission with about 50 thousand miles. The only thing good I can say about them is that the coupe is pretty unusual (they made about 1/10th the number of coupes than convertibles) and it is a good looking car. They also can be had for pretty cheap. But they are boring to drive and handle like an old Cadillac.
Agreed on all points. The XKR is a GT car first and foremost. As I grow older, I'm more about thrust and style over brute force and shouty looks. I'd rock the Jag over a base Corvette any day.

That said, my MLC car will likely be one of my two all-time faves, a DS21 or a Pagoda SL. More likely still will be driving whatever I happen to have before said MLC hits.
TiPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:58 AM   #124
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 8,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck851 View Post
And she is 12 years younger than I am and owns her own company. In fact, I live in her house and she lets me drive that lotus whenever I want. I never thought about how good I have it, I guess I'll have to let her blow me when she comes home.

Clearly, you are a giver. I salute you.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance.” T.R.
bomber60015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:43 AM   #125
apexeric
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
My Former 2002tii

Old 04-05-2013, 03:50 AM   #126
gti5notrkt
n00b

Oddometer: 1
NSX. Street presence of a Ferrari. Reliability of a Honda. Second to none handling and pretty decent straight line acceleration. Prices have bottomed out so any well cared for example will appreciate going forward. Only 2 issues, with them, drivers seat leather cracks. And the amp for the stereo gives up. Both easily fixable.

3.2L ones are preferable but for $40k you will struggle to get a low milage one.

Jon.
gti5notrkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:10 AM   #127
Meter Man
Living on a prayer

Oddometer: 7,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by gti5notrkt View Post
NSX. Street presence of a Ferrari. Reliability of a Honda. Second to none handling and pretty decent straight line acceleration. Prices have bottomed out so any well cared for example will appreciate going forward. Only 2 issues, with them, drivers seat leather cracks. And the amp for the stereo gives up. Both easily fixable.

3.2L ones are preferable but for $40k you will struggle to get a low milage one.

Jon.
When on the prowl for a late model Porsche Carrera I found that the NSX (a car I dream of owning) to be quite overpriced on the used market.

They are about 2-2.5x the price of a Porsche 911 and often in the Ferrari 355 territory.

I've wanted one since I was a young man after hearing several reviewers call it the most "Motorcycle Like" production car ever built.
Meter Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:03 AM   #128
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meter Man View Post
When on the prowl for a late model Porsche Carrera I found that the NSX (a car I dream of owning) to be quite overpriced on the used market.

They are about 2-2.5x the price of a Porsche 911 and often in the Ferrari 355 territory.

I've wanted one since I was a young man after hearing several reviewers call it the most "Motorcycle Like" production car ever built.
At a track day school back in the early 90's when NSXs were considered exotic, I took the opportunity to ride shotgun in one for a lapping session at Summit Point Raceway with an instructor. Let's just say we passed lots of 911s... and just about everything else on the track except for a couple of tube framed race cars. This session was in the instructor/expert group at a highly elevated pace. Then the owner drove it 220 miles home. The NSX truly is a do it all exotic that is daily driver capable. Not too many cars fit in that niche without beating your fillings (or wallet) to death.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:24 AM   #129
Lee C
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
At a track day school back in the early 90's when NSXs were considered exotic, I took the opportunity to ride shotgun in one for a lapping session at Summit Point Raceway with an instructor. Let's just say we passed lots of 911s... and just about everything else on the track except for a couple of tube framed race cars. This session was in the instructor/expert group at a highly elevated pace. Then the owner drove it 220 miles home. The NSX truly is a do it all exotic that is daily driver capable. Not too many cars fit in that niche without beating your fillings (or wallet) to death.
Love the NSX a hard find up here sorta looking right now
Lee C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:34 AM   #130
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,431
Which 911 are we comparing the NSX to? The 996 series cars are cheap, for a reason; they're probably the shittiest cars Porsche ever built. A 993 is a more appropriate comparison, both in performance and price, and the one thing they share with the NSX is that the values are holding strong, if not rising for really good cars.

355's are cheap for a reason, and if you search the archives here I've posted a laundry list of ways a 355 can cost you cubic amounts of money.

NSX is a great car. I've got a 328GTB, but I would also love to have an NSX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meter Man View Post

'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:44 AM   #131
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,316
I thought a midlife crisis car was supposed to be an irrational purchase full of desire, lust and impracticality.

Be design we cannot tell you what to buy. At that point it either becomes a rational investment or an irrational lustful object for us that will not fulfill your desires.

Go buy what turns your head and gets your juices flowing.

Now of course if this is just a thread to talk about 8 different cars, I say go with a Porsche.
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #132
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
Really hard to make a concrete suggestion without knowing what you want from this car. Sports? Something with AC? Looks? Resale? Classic? Modern? Concours? To tinker with? To cruise with?

I suggest a BMW 2002.

You want something comparatively rare. Check.
Comparatively sporty. Check.
Somewhat vintage. Check.
Classic styling. Check.
Tinker-able? Check.
Air Conditioning? Available.
Looks? CHECK. (I might be biased.)
Resale? Check.

You can get good ones for a quarter of your budget.

I wouldn't take a daily driver to the track though.
I have to admit a built 2002 is pretty freakin cool......

I have a buddy that's got a ton of work into his and it's FAST - legitimately fast and they hardly weigh anything. He's put a modern engine in it as well.

it's something like this.

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #133
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 22,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
I have to admit a built 2002 is pretty freakin cool......

I have a buddy that's got a ton of work into his and it's FAST - legitimately fast and they hardly weigh anything. He's put a modern engine in it as well.

it's something like this.

You wanna real MLC 2002, find a factory tubo.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #134
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,234
I like the original Mini with the Honda motor conversion.

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:18 PM   #135
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,056
My mid-life crisis mobile if I had the funds:

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: