Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 04:42 PM   #31
roadstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
Dump the list & get a 650 Vstrom, with luggage you can go anywhere.

Remember BMW`s are labor intense
roadstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:46 PM   #32
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,779
Any Japanese motorcycle.
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:49 PM   #33
Sport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
everybody knows you can't do that with a 'busa. Let's see some pics....

Does this work?

Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:50 PM   #34
Sport
Gnarly Adventurer

Or this?

Old 04-03-2013, 04:51 PM   #35
Sport
Gnarly Adventurer

Or...

Old 04-03-2013, 04:57 PM   #36
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
used Yamaha FZ6 or if more power needed FZ1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda55 View Post
Fz6 or Fz1, then used the left over dough for comfort mods and trips/rainy day fund.,
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadstar View Post
Dump the list & get a 650 Vstrom, with luggage you can go anywhere.

Remember BMW`s are labor intense
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
Any Japanese motorcycle.
^THESE^
'N I'd add mah daily rider an FJR1300 ta the list; new or used depending on budget. (I dun bought used)

BanjoBoy screwed with this post 04-03-2013 at 05:04 PM
BanjoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:02 PM   #37
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,087
Looks like good touring fun on that Busa.

I have a Dorsoduro 750. I got mine as a demo with 3800 miles and full warranty for about 2/3 your budget. A full set of hard luggage will set you back $750 or so. It is a blast, and a good compromise between supermoto and commuter. Not as fast as a Ninja 636, but no slouch. Top speed about 125 - 130 ish. Mine has been trouble free for the 2 years I've had it, and service intervals are long. It can get expensive when the valves need adjustment, though. I was just just quoted $700, but other owners report $300-$400 for the same job. I'll just do it myself, thanks...

Fuel range on these bikes is about 100 to 140 miles, so you would be filling up every other day. Seat comfort is good for 2 hours, and can be upgraded.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #38
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,796
You can certainly tour on a 'Busa, just check out pashnit.com. I couldn't because of the extreme pain it would cause. But then I find riding a Zuma 125 exciting.

As for BMWs and Ducatis, just do some reading on this forum about all the problems they have. That's right, all the evidence is right here. I can see how someone might be willing to put up with some issues for a Ducati, same as a Harley. But newer BMWs don't seem to have anything Japanese bikes don't, except reliability. They are smooth and quiet. What is so exciting about that?

I just Googled the Triumph Triple R. Looks like a blast for anyone interested in a sport bike. It would be just as sanitized as a Japanese bike, but it sure looks great, and has the Triumph name on it, so you wouldn't see one every day.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:35 AM   #39
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 674
cosign on the dorsoduro 750
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:05 AM   #40
objectuser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Fun times, trying to find the right bike! So many great bikes out there. Enjoy the search and buy something that speaks to you.

For a commuter, one of the benefits of hard bags is you can lock your helmet and gear away. That all depends on where you are when you arrive. If it's a very safe garage, then you can put your helmet anywhere (and a lot of bikes have helmet locks). Same with the gear. Or you can walk in with it all, depending on how much of a pain it is getting in (security?).

I have hard cases. When I pack up to leave, I put my backpack (with computer) in my top case, some shoes in one of the side cases, and my lunch box in another. When I get there, I put my helmet in one of the side cases, my jacket and overpants in the top case, and my boots in the other side case.

But a guy that I often see coming in parks his bike, and walks in with his helmet on. No fuss.

Just depends on which approach is more "you".

I commuted on a Versys for a while. Great bike. Good gas mileage for commuting, it sits tall so you can see over cars, a lot of fun to ride on the weekends, and I found it very reliable. I also did some touring on it and it is very capable there as well. You can get some nice Givi racks for that thing and put whatever bags on there you like. Lots of Kawi dealerships around too.

I am currently commuting on an R1200R, but my commute is max once a week. But the bags on the R1200R are very convenient. And that bike is a ton of fun. Gas mileage isn't as good as the Versys, of course.

There are also benefits to choosing a light bike for a commute ... easier to manage in traffic, move around for parking, whatever. The Versys is nice and light. The R1200R as well. And many of the bikes you and others mention in this thread. Unless your commute is really long, I personally wouldn't recommend a big tourer because they're not quite as easy to manage on your feet. But others might see it differently.

Have fun!
objectuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:38 AM   #41
NateLePain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,682
I commute on a 2006 BMW F650GSA(thumper), mostly secondary roads and take if off road a couple times a year. I've had 60K trouble free miles(mostly) and the few problems I did have were covered under warranty(3yr,36month). I've also owned a DR250SE and a WR250X during this time frame and commuted on them, as well. I'm ready for a new commuter with more excitement and face the same dilemma, as which bike is best, for me.

The new 2013 Hypermotard is currently at the top. 18K mile valve inspection, 150-200 mile tank range, upright seating position, ABS, traction control and commuter to hooligan with the press of a button. Right now the price and a fear of "wet" electronics are my biggest reservations.

The Street Triple R is the obvious choice. It's a proven bike, affordable, wins every bike shoot out, in every magazine. Fuel mileage seems poor and the forward leaning position are my very minor reservations.

Any variant is of a BMW 1200 does not appeal to me. I don't like the side-to-side feel of the boxer engine, in commuting traffic.

Harley's do not appeal to me, everyone has one.

The BMW 700/800 offers a nice package but in most reports I've read , people label the performance as dull.

The Yamaha Super Tenere would make a great touring/commuting bike. Long service entraval, ABS, Traction Control, Reasonably priced, proven bike. My reservation is simply, it's a fat pig.

The Triumph 800's do not inspire me at all. Can't really say why but I've ridden the Roadie and simply didn't like it.

The new Honda 500s are not what I'm looking for but I may be surprised once I see them in living color.

I'd like more info on the 2014 Suzuki V-Strom, if anyone has some.

I test rode a beautiful Motto Guzzi V7 Stone. I love the idea of the bike but I didn't not enjoy the tractor like feel of the ride and for the money, a Street Triple R is just a few dollars more.

The Aprilias are not on my list because the dealerships seem to disappear with the wind.

The 2013 Hyper, Super T and Street Triple R are on my short list, along with a cheap trailbike for wood's riding.

Good luck and enjoy the search...
nlp

10 Triumph St. Triple, '06 BMW F650GSA, '03 Honda XR70R, '03 Honda XR80R, '86 Honda TLR200 Reflex
NateLePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:45 AM   #42
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,245
650 Strom.... full luggage, touring capable, mild off road, 270+ miles to a tank, almost maintenance free, and lots of aftermarket, forum support as there are thousands on the roads, and cheap to buy and run.

No other bike ever, is more well rounded.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:52 AM   #43
objectuser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateLePain View Post
The Street Triple R is the obvious choice. It's a proven bike, affordable, wins every bike shoot out, in every magazine. Fuel mileage seems poor and the forward leaning position are my very minor reservations.
I think the fuel economy is much improved in the 2013 model. Doesn't help the lean of course ...

http://www.ashonbikes.com/content/tr...treet-triple-r
objectuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:57 AM   #44
single
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroked 550 View Post
I am looking for the "live a little" or "a lot" bike options (I'm under 30, what can you expect )
Always amazes me how many young dudes equate spending money with living life.
single is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #45
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by single View Post
Always amazes me how many young dudes equate spending money with living life.
No one made any mention of money, just the referenced Honda. No one suggested he spend more than the Honda cost for a different motorcycle.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote