User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 07:22 PM   #1
hardwaregrrl OP
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,886
Face plant at Sandblast

Welp, it's about time I get to post something here worth a damn.

And the after math....

Not sure how fast I was going. Probably around 50mph. First time in the sand with the old girl was the day prior to the race, I simply got in the loamy bit and buried the front wheel. Took a nap for 30 seconds or so.....didn't remember who was presendent when I woke up. Thankfully I've got great racemates. A ride to the hospital on the board, 3 hours in the ER, CATscan, Xrays and what nots.......then I walked in circles in the parking lot for a few until the nurse came out and pointed me in the general direction of my hotel. All my friends were racing, so I had to walk. Concussion and some tearing around the sternum, and a big fucking bill.

I'm lucky.....but next time I'll have a bit more practice before I attempt to race in it.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:12 PM   #2
gabepari
Throttle Flogger

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
.....didn't remember who was presendent when I woke up.
Hell, that's reason enough for me to crash

Yes, I was the idiot that rode a '69 Trail 90 at LAB2V
gabepari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:25 PM   #3
mikem9
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,195
Wow! Crazy crash on a big ole "dirt" bike! Good to hear you are relatively ok.
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:08 PM   #4
feathered
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188

What a scary, sudden drop. Best wishes during your recovery.
feathered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:53 AM   #5
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,137
Riding in sand can be a little tricky sometimes, I know this all too well but I love it.

You're now a sand eater too!

RIDE RED!
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:39 PM   #6
hardwaregrrl OP
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracus124 View Post
Riding in sand can be a little tricky sometimes, I know this all too well but I love it.

You're now a sand eater too!
Ha!!! Cleaned my teeth up right good.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:59 PM   #7
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 9,963
Glad you came through relatively unscathed.

I saw your first vid when you posted it a couple weeks ago. I have some comments on the second vid. First for all the people that come upon a rider down,,,, NEVER attempt to remove the riders helmet. If they want to do it themselves, strongly urge them not to remove it. Riders,,,, if you go down and are going to be waiting to take a ride in an ambulance,,,, don't let anyone but trained personnel remove your helmet.

For Rally Moto participants..... when arriving at a rider down situation, first person stops and provides assistance. Second person on the scene continues on to the first communication station, most likely the end of the stage but not always. Everyone else that arrives at the scene after the second rider goes to get help stays put. The reason being is that emergency vehicles may be on there way and coming at you.

Hope you give it another try next year!!

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:19 PM   #8
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,221
Sand is tricky.
Its all sand around here (South Jersey) and after 40 years, I still suck in it.
But I know better (now) to not ride a big heavy bike in it.
You can get very badly hurt, even though sand is soft.
Its the stopping fast that can get you, you don't slide, you dig in and stop, and if the bike is behind you like it is in most high sides, it can drill you in.
Its pot luck how bad you get hurt.

My last big bike in the sand ride got me a helicopter ride, nice and smooth, but after the very painful ride out in the back of a pick up truck.

Now, a tw200 or crf230l is more my speed...
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:26 PM   #9
hardwaregrrl OP
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman View Post
Glad you came through relatively unscathed.

I saw your first vid when you posted it a couple weeks ago. I have some comments on the second vid. First for all the people that come upon a rider down,,,, NEVER attempt to remove the riders helmet. If they want to do it themselves, strongly urge them not to remove it. Riders,,,, if you go down and are going to be waiting to take a ride in an ambulance,,,, don't let anyone but trained personnel remove your helmet.

For Rally Moto participants..... when arriving at a rider down situation, first person stops and provides assistance. Second person on the scene continues on to the first communication station, most likely the end of the stage but not always. Everyone else that arrives at the scene after the second rider goes to get help stays put. The reason being is that emergency vehicles may be on there way and coming at you.

Hope you give it another try next year!!

To the comments above........I am so lucky to be racing with such wonderful people. Peter is the big tall guy in the video that wants to have a party. He and I started racing last year at the same time. He's been behind me every step of the way....because I'm faster. I crashed on the aspault at my first rally (WV), but was able to get the bike up and on the road before he caught me, then I crashed at my second rally (black river stages) but Pete caught me before I could pick up the bike. Not only did he stop and help me pick up the bike, he ran with me to pick up my triangle....then asked "what do we do now?" Awesome dude, wouldn't want to be in front of anyone else.

Helmet shit, I think I was bitching about the amount of sand in my mouth and Jason felt bad for me....but Pete kept him from removing my helmet. The fact that I was laughing and swearing made it seem like I was OK, I was not. I'm still having some residual headaches, but that's it. I still do not remember leaving the bike and impacting the ground. I remember waking up when Pete yelled at me. Luckily we race with a good organization that has a mandatory rider/driver orientation that must be taken 3 times....and it's 3 hours. It fills in a lot of blanks when it comes time to help a fallen rider.

Boatman....dunno if I'll do Sandblast. that was an expensive rally. 1200$ deductable and time off work.....plus rally fees and hotel...yada yada. I don't really enjoy riding in the sand.....so I dunno. Dirt, gravel...bring it. I'll try to get to WV as I loved that one, but my rally money is gone to the hospital for the year. boosh.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #10
hardwaregrrl OP
You talkin' to me?

Well, if we're gonna be learning I should give up some more info. Not a lot, read none, of experience in the sand. GF called me the night before the race to inform me that a good friend had suddenly died.......fuck. I should've gone home, but she convinced me that our friend would want me to stay and race with my new friends. Welp, that was stupid of me. I was dumb numb from her death, stupid fuck crashed and had to call loved ones from the hospital and let them know of my stupid ass stunt. That was a tough phone call to make.

Please, please, please, do not ride, race, commute if your head isn't screwed on straight. It's expensive.

Had a male nurse who was a cool dude, he cut my favorite 2 shirts off, one my sister gave me of the state of michigan giving the finger, the other a nice merino wool icebreaker that's i've worn on many trips, but when he got to my $150 bra, I about busted his face. He didn't cut it. And yes, good bras are not from Victoria secrets. And they don't say KLIM, but are about as expensive.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:16 AM   #11
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,035
Quote:
... but when he got to my $150 bra, I about busted his face. He didn't cut it. And yes, good bras are not from Victoria secrets. And they don't say KLIM, but are about as expensive.
Hey, priorities, right?
Old 04-04-2013, 01:21 PM   #12
martel
ADV noobin' it up

Oddometer: 17
Glad you're ok. I was working radio at the end of SS1 and heard the ambulance call go out.
martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #13
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,657
Quote:
.....didn't remember who was presendent when I woke up. Thankfully I've got great racemates.
My wife crashed her mountain bike when Bill Clinton was in office, and had a bit of amnesia. She told the doctor the President was Hillary Clinton, and we all had a good laugh.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:12 PM   #14
Guano11
Half Decaf

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman View Post
For Rally Moto participants..... when arriving at a rider down situation:
First person stops and provides assistance.
Second person on the scene continues on to the first communication station, most likely the end of the stage but not always.
Everyone else that arrives at the scene after the second rider goes to get help stays put. The reason being is that emergency vehicles may be on there way and coming at you.
That all makes good sense.

Glad you're pullin' through!
Guano11 is offline   Reply With Quote