User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #1
tkitna OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,835
Another truck thread

Ok, i'm buying a new truck next week, but I have to decide on what to get. My 03' Tundra has kind of turned me off on Toyota so they are out. I'm getting a 2500 HD truck with 4 doors and all the bells and whistles and its going to be gas. Drove the Ford and thought the 6.2 was gutless. Sales guy was a dick too, so they are out. Drove the Chevy with the 6.0 and liked it. Drove a Dodge with the 5.7 and liked it too, so its between the two. I'm not thrilled with the whole government deal on either brand, but it is what it is. The Chevy was comfortable, but the back seat isnt as roomy as the Dodge. The brakes arent as god either, but they work. I swore off Dodge products a long time ago when I had a junk Jeep Grand Cherokee, but I liked the truck and think they are the best looking vehicles on the road. Was comfortable and the sales guy was wanting to sell me something. Chevy has some pretty damn good rebates right now though and the sales guy was some kid who was into his 2nd day on the job. Nervous as hell.I liked him though and those are the kinds I like to deal with. Somebody who's trying to get their feet wet. Anyways, i'll value any opinions on the 6.0 and Hemi.

All, the Chevy seems smaller than the others too. Maybe more narrow. Who knows. Thanks.

2008 DL650
2013 Goldwing
tkitna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
RYANINMICHIGAN
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 588
I worked with Chrysler for over 10 years and I would not buy one....
RYANINMICHIGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:33 PM   #3
xring04
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
I'll second the above, but I did not spend 10 years with dodge. I do have a quite a few GM trucks with well over 200k in my fleet and they just keep going.
xring04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:33 PM   #4
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,643
I have both...

...a 2003 GMC 2500HD 4X4 with the 6.0, and

...a 2009 Dodge 2500HD 4X4 with the 5.7

Both are auto.

My personal opinions...

-The Dodge is all engine, the GMC all gearing (4.10).

-The 6.0 gets 9 MPG whether towing or not. The 5.7 gets much better MPG, especially during highway driving (partly because of the gearing).

-The GMC (w/ Bilstein shocks) handles like a sports car. The Dodge handles like a duece-and-a-half, and will beat the fukkin' fillings outta' your teeth.

-Compared to the Dodge, the GMC interior is cramped. However, the cloth interior on the GMC (Work Truck package) has been very durable.

-Everyone knows about the IFS on the GM trucks. It is what it is. Breaking the front axle, on the Dodge, would be like trying to break an anvil. Regardless of some folks thoughts, in regard to Dodge, they have always had solid drivetrain components (Dana, New Venture Gear, etc.)

-Up until recently, the tranny on the GMC felt more crisp.

If there is anything else I can add, specifically, let me know...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:31 AM   #5
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,611
I just went the other direction....bought my first Toyota Tundra Crewmax, after having multiple GM trucks over the past 20 years (the most recent being a GMC 2500HD crewcab 4X4).

The GMC's have all been junk. In the shop multiple times each and every year I have owned them. The frame/engine rusts before your eyes. The government bailout was the last straw for me. I'll never buy a GM product again.

My most recent truck had the 6.0 litre engine....made lots of noise, drank tons of fuel, made very little power. The transmission was very mushy.

My new Tundra tows my trailer much better than the GMC ever did. The engine has way more power than the GMC did, and the crewmax cab has a lot more room than the GMC did.

Do I sound a bit biased???
Yooper_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:55 AM   #6
chacha
CAT Herder

Oddometer: 2,693
I'm on my second Chevy and love it.

First Chevy was a 2003 2500HD extended cab 4X4 with the 6.0L gas and a 4:10 rear end. I got 13 mpg no matter what. I was pretty light footed on the throttle on take offs. So that helped. I had the LS model with cloth interior and two bench seats so I could seat 6. It also had a full size bed.

I had that truck for 7 years in that time I had 3 problems. My starter went, the oil pressure sending unit went out and the gauge cluster needed new stepper motors. Total for all repairs was maybe $300 bucks.

I now have a 2011 2500HD LT Crew Cab 4X4 with the 6.6L Duramax and have been very happy with it so far.

photo IMG_1665.jpg
Old 04-05-2013, 08:33 AM   #7
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,202
The 6.0 is a good motor....for a 3,500 lb vehicle. In the 2500, I'd go with the diesel. My friend has one with the Alison transmission, and it has been absolutely bullet proof, goes like stink, and gets 20 mpg.

Another friend had the Dodge diesel with a 6-speed that seemed like it was going to be a great truck. He moved to another state, however, so I know nothing about long term reviews.

Personally, I don't own anything with an automatic transmission, so mushy shifts are not in my vocabulary.

Ford: My buddy is a Senior Master Tech at the local dealer, and wouldn't drive anything but a Ford. However, everyone I know with a newer Ford truck has problems. They are usually covered by warranty, but I would be irritated if my new pickup needed to have the cylinder heads pulled, transmission replaced, or whatever. Ford cars seem dead reliable, except for the hybrids. I want to like them because of their fiscal responsibility, but the pickups are finicky about maintenance.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:09 AM   #8

Oddometer: 5,509
I think you may be doing yourself an injustice by staying away from Ford. Most salesmen are dicks but they are a dime a dozen. I'm not up on the numbers but how do the HP/Torque numbers compare? I had a 250 with a 5.4 and it felt gutless but it felt exactly the same with two pallets of wet sod in the back or empty.

I'm guessing you drove the Ford. What gears were in it?

If it were me and I had to choose between GM or Dodge I would (keep the yota) go GM. The Dodge driveline is pretty stout but the rest of the truck surrounding it is a POS. I had an '07. It sucked. The 5.7 was a great motor though, I will say that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeflow
conformity makes better taxpayers.
13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:48 AM   #9
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper_Bob View Post
...My most recent truck had the 6.0 litre engine....made lots of noise, drank tons of fuel, made very little power. The transmission was very mushy...

I gotta' say...This hasn't been my experience (other than the MPG).

As posted, other than the MPG, my GMC has been a great truck. The motor is very torquey (although the 4.10s do a great job of keeping it in its "sweet spot"). Mine is loud, but only because I added a Flowmaster (Worst. Regret. Ever.)

Up until recently, the tranny was always rock solid. Now, there is some kinda' slack in the driveline. And, even with that, I'm not completely sure it's the tranny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 View Post
I think you may be doing yourself an injustice by staying away from Ford. Most salesmen are dicks but they are a dime a dozen. I'm not up on the numbers but how do the HP/Torque numbers compare? I had a 250 with a 5.4 and it felt gutless but it felt exactly the same with two pallets of wet sod in the back or empty...

It is my personal opinion that, over the last few years, Ford has really been "padding" their performance numbers (gas and diesel).

One of the biggest factors, that I have for saying that, is a shootout that Chevrolet posted on their website. It was called HD2HD (head-to-head), or something of the sort.

Basically, they hired an independent testing firm to test all the HD pickups. The only thing I saw wrong was that they used the last generation 6.7 Cummins (before it went to 800 ft./lbs.), and appeared to be gunning for the Ford.

Well, the Chevrolet stomped a mudhole in the Ford, in every test (towing, chassis rigidity, acceleration, etc.)

Could they have skewed the findings?...sure. But, if they didn't, the acceleration tests were enough to make you know that the numbers for the Ford just couldn't be correct.

***I am sooooo curious about this new 6.7 Powerstroke (Scorpion?) After owning my '99 F-350 7.3 (the biggest turd I've ever owned), I promised myself I would never own another Ford. But, I guess I didn't learn my lesson, as this new Powerstroke has peaked my interest.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:05 PM   #10
sloMark
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 802
Just curious, what turned ya (the OP) off to Toyota? I have a 2011 crewmax with the 5.7 and all is well so far.......it is not much too look at all, but seems like a good truck. Suits me anyway. Sevres us well as the family hauler and I fill the bed with shit from Lowe's all the time . It's my 4th Toyota truck.

I agree the Dodges are nice to look at. I like how the front kinda slants forward when looking at it from the side.......

I dig the big rig looking front ends on the f250 , the f150 seems boring like my Tundra.
sloMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:39 PM   #11
tkitna OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 View Post
I'm guessing you drove the Ford. What gears were in it?
It was an extended cab (they didnt have a crew cab) with the 6.2 and 3.73 gearing. When we drove it, it just seemed to be a dog and when you wanted some get up and go, you had to bury the pedal. It also seemed to search for the right gear all the time as if it wasnt sure what it wanted to do.

The Chevy and Dodge had 3.73 gearing also and had no such issues.

2008 DL650
2013 Goldwing
Old 04-05-2013, 07:01 PM   #12
tkitna OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloMark View Post
Just curious, what turned ya (the OP) off to Toyota? I have a 2011 crewmax with the 5.7 and all is well so far.......it is not much too look at all, but seems like a good truck. Suits me anyway. Sevres us well as the family hauler and I fill the bed with shit from Lowe's all the time . It's my 4th Toyota truck.
I have an 03' Tundra 4x4 entended cab, TRD package I bought new and it has had the worst brakes of any vehicle ever. Its been a nonstop battle for 87000 miles and its useless to me. I wont let anybody else drive it and towing anything is out of the question. Had $2500 worth of brake work just done 5 months ago, and they are pathetic still. Everythings been changed, so i'm at a loss. Also, who in the hell puts drum brakes on the rear of a 1/2 truck? Worthless. Besides the brakes, the entire underside is rusting away to nothing and I try to wash it as much as possible since I live in the salt area of WV. My wifes Tahoe and the Honda's i've owned have no such issue. It goes through o2 sensors at an alarming rate. I'm sick of tearing the door panels off to lube the window tracks and stuff as they make noise every 6 months. Speaking of windows, have you ever driven a Tundra on a bumpy road with the windows half down? Scary. Just had the hood latch completely replaced as it finally quit working (common problem i've come to find out). Before it finally broke, you had to shove the thing back in place with a screw driver. No amount of grease or lube or prying would fix the problem. Sway bar end links rusted in half. The drive shift indicator light went out as soon as it was out of warranty (no big deal there). Besides all of that, its almost at the time where the timing belt needs replaced. Yeah, a timing belt in a V8. I was going to have the recalls done at the same time (rear cross member rust, and fuel filler), but I just dont have the heart to dump anymore cash into it anymore. Its gone. Oh, worse radio in any stock vehicle i've driven ever. Only radio I know that actually gets louder when your trying to turn it down. Ironically, it doesnt get loud enough when you try to turn it up to hear anything though. Its strange.

Drove a new Tundra too. Nice engine, but wasnt crazy about the brakes in that one either. Maybe it was something in my subconscious. I just dont feel like plopping down that kind of jack on a truck I feel i'll have some of the same issues with although I know its competeley different. The rust factor really worries me. I'm taking my chances somewhere else. If it bites me in the ass, so be it.

2008 DL650
2013 Goldwing
Old 04-05-2013, 07:01 PM   #13
liquidsmile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,351
I wish you could still get the Ford with the V10. With a Tune and 4.30 gears the 6.2 I have heard is not that bad though.
liquidsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #14
BeaterToyota
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkitna View Post
The rust factor really worries me. I'm taking my chances somewhere else. If it bites me in the ass, so be it.
I know you're looking at new trucks, and being an '01 model my Chevy 2500HD isn't exactly new, but in October the Chevy's brake lines rusted through and I lost all braking ability. Luckily it was in my yard while I was hooking up my trailer, and not while I was hauling the trailer down the road.

My point is that it seems ALL manufacturers have some major flaws to their trucks. I was so pissed about my brakes, and I searched for any kind of recall/service bulletin info I could find. What I really found is that there are similar stories all over the internet, for all brands, and for models way newer than my '01, where brake lines, frames, etc. are all rusting through prematurely.

For what it's worth, after owning the Chevy for a couple years (I'm the second owner) I would buy a new Tundra or a new F150/F250 before I bought another Chevy. There's not one specific thing that turns me off to the Chevy; I guess it's just a general feeling that they don't build a quality product.
BeaterToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:00 PM   #15
allroadrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
New Pickup

I am no expert but over the years I have owned quite a few trucks and have had problems with all of them, in my experence Ford has always been the most reliable and worked better pulling large heavy trailers.
The GM trucks always rode the best and had the least road noise but were a lot more expenseive to maintain and the first sieries of 6.6 duramax engines couldn't come close to pulling what a 7.3 ford would and cost $5000 more for the option. In 07 I purchased a dodge with a hemi and loved the truck but it was a nightmare to keep going I had a bunch of electrical problems, and could never rely on the four wheel drive to work, so I finally dumped it. A friend of mine recently purchased a new Toyota to pull his wife's horse trailer and his motorcyle & ATV trailer so far he has replaced a rear end, a tailgate and is having transmission problems, pulling the horse trailer he's getting around 6 mpg and in less that 60,000 miles is on his 2nd set of brake pads I think the Toyota is just two much of a light duty truck, in a light duty setting it would be great.
ON the Ford 6.2 I am in the transport business now and rotate lease fleets all over the country I picked up a 6.2 F150 that the lady had been pulling a 4 horse trailer and it had 135,000 on it and I could't beleve how good it still drove it also got a little over 17mpg on the 250 miles I put on it (empty)
I have also picked up several 2010 and later dodges with fairly high milage and they seem to be holding up well, and get good mpg (for a truck) so I think Dodge has solved some of their problems, The lease companys are now reissuing both Ford and Dodge trucks with over 100,000 and keeping them in fleet use but for some reason not GM's yet
ARR
allroadrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: