Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 125 votes, 4.93 average. Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 08:20 PM   #1921
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 15,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Can someone with a 42" Hi-Lift jack (cast, or cast/steel) tell me the actual height of the handle or standard bar, from the base, whichever one sticks up the furthest? The hi-lift documentation seems at odds with the actual dimensions on some models.

Thanks! I'm looking to fit one in the back of my car for desert camping, and space is tight.

I figured it out, when my jack came in today. The winch attachment sticks out to 45 inched from the base, but is easily repositioned to not stick past the standard bar. The bar is 41.5 inches from the base, and the handle 41 inches from the base.

I have 40 inches of width in the back of the Golf... but it will be trivial to cut off the extra inch and a half from the main bar, and lose an inch off the handle. I'll end up with a custom 40 inch jack, that will be a regular desert camping addition.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:55 PM   #1922
Ride_There
Will ride for bacon.

Oddometer: 3,109
Quote:
I figured it out, when my jack came in today. The winch attachment sticks out to 45 inched from the base, but is easily repositioned to not stick past the standard bar. The bar is 41.5 inches from the base, and the handle 41 inches from the base.

I have 40 inches of width in the back of the Golf... but it will be trivial to cut off the extra inch and a half from the main bar, and lose an inch off the handle. I'll end up with a custom 40 inch jack, that will be a regular desert camping addition.
Glad that it will work out for you.

I know H&R offered coil-overs to raise MK4 VW's at on point. Designed for rally cars... I Couldn't find a set when I finally figured out that lowering daily drivers wasn't worth it this far north.

Don't know if you have considered adding more ground clearance to your golf..
Ride_There is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:03 PM   #1923
RustySpokes
Two-bit throttle bum

Oddometer: 1,030
You can also take the base off the high lift jack pretty easy and store it separately to give you more flexibility on where you put stuff. Also check out a product called "jackmate", its a handy accessory for a high lift.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:06 PM   #1924
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 15,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride_There View Post
Glad that it will work out for you.

I know H&R offered coil-overs to raise MK4 VW's at on point. Designed for rally cars... I Couldn't find a set when I finally figured out that lowering daily drivers wasn't worth it this far north.

Don't know if you have considered adding more ground clearance to your golf..
I would kill for a 1.5 inch lift (easy enough with milled and turned spacers under the struts), but it seems that would interfere with the Electronic Stability Program, which pulses the brakes when it senses drift in turns. The ESP is great on sanded winter roads, and in snow, and I can turn it off when I like, but I don't want to give it up entirely.

So I make do with my heavy-duty skid plate, and bash on through the rutted desert roads. The Jeepsters often look at us with amazed eyes, trying to figure out how our little car got there...
Old 03-28-2013, 08:47 PM   #1925
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
I'll throw my '63 Willys in for good measure.

Now that is a VERY cool jeep. Looks like an excellent project...

Bought or Built??

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:28 AM   #1926
WMD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbedient View Post
Bought or Built??
Built. Mine to drive as a kid, sat in the family barn for 25yrs. I started the restoration when my dad passed away...still at it. I've got over 400 pics of the resto but photobucket is such a pain in the ass since they revamped their site its not worth messing with.
WMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:59 PM   #1927
Big Bird 928
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Built. Mine to drive as a kid, sat in the family barn for 25yrs. I started the restoration when my dad passed away...still at it. I've got over 400 pics of the resto but photobucket is such a pain in the ass since they revamped their site its not worth messing with.
Check out this site for you pictures, it is a site to do basically blogs for cars. http://www.cardomain.com/

I have some on there with mine that I have worked on, here is an example of my jeep. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2241565/1977-jeep-cj7/

Yes mine are much shorter than yours, but it would be good to do for nostalga's sake I think with your jeep's background.
Big Bird 928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:07 PM   #1928
wbedient
MoTard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird 928 View Post
I have some on there with mine that I have worked on, here is an example of my jeep. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2241565/1977-jeep-cj7/
that is a ton of work... super cool jeep though. What engine/trans do you have in that 77 cj7?

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
Old 04-03-2013, 01:08 AM   #1929
Big Bird 928
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbedient View Post
that is a ton of work... super cool jeep though. What engine/trans do you have in that 77 cj7?
Small block 350 I built for someone else with their money and a sm465 trans with a Dana 300 behind it.

sent from my abacus.
Big Bird 928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #1930
RockyRaccoon
Found:Gideon's Bible

Oddometer: 61,315
Quote:
Can someone with a 42" Hi-Lift jack (cast, or cast/steel) tell me the actual height of the handle or standard bar, from the base, whichever one sticks up the furthest? The hi-lift documentation seems at odds with the actual dimensions on some models.

Thanks! I'm looking to fit one in the back of my car for desert camping, and space is tight.

Not three weeks ago I was out four-wheeling in Sperry Wash with my Subaru Impreza and had to jack it up five times to get over a rock on which it got high centered. It kept spitting out the rock ramps I built.

“It is a far, far better thing to have a firm anchor in nonsense than to put out on the troubled seas of thought.” -- John Kenneth Galbraith
RockyRaccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:31 PM   #1931
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,154
Quote:

Well, I have a 48" but from what I measured, the height is the total height of the base, jack and the top clamp. The "ladder" is 46,5" tall. You add an inch if you put the base plate on and then add a bit more when the top clamp is on. The baseplate and handle are removable once you take the cotter pin out. The top clamp comes off with a large nut. If you don't need to whole 42" you can get a 36".
Old 04-04-2013, 02:52 PM   #1932
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,551

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:19 PM   #1933
wbedient
MoTard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder View Post
more pics please...

and details. What is that rig?

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
Old 04-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #1934
Carlo Muro
Supercàzzola

Oddometer: 2,086
looks like some kind of a JK built to look like a Gladiator
Old 04-04-2013, 08:49 PM   #1935
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo Muro View Post
looks like some kind of a JK built to look like a Gladiator
It is/was. It was one of the Concept for last years Easter Jeep Safari. http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...r_jeep_safari/

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: