ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 04:23 PM   #16
13 OP

Oddometer: 5,028
That aquaponics is pretty neat but way too much for me to take on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplitDitch View Post
This is where I buy my seeds johnnyseeds.com

This guy does a lot of work with raised beds on youtube,

growingyourgreens
Great link, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaklr View Post
Nice job on the front of the house. I wouldn't have looked twice at it before your makeover.
Thanks. It was real easy to get the neighbors to like us. Our house was the only eyesore on the street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko View Post
Like the way you re-routed the downspouts
Yup. Probably wont get to it this season but eventually I was to put a rain barrel at each end.

Thanks for the feedback Hesaid. I was thinking about going up to our hunting land upstate and loading up my truck with soil but it would cost triple in fuel with my old truck than it would to buy it local. 6mpg isn't all its cracked up to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeflow
conformity makes better taxpayers.
13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:36 PM   #17
13 OP

So I shopped around but HD had the best price and had it in stock.

I left about a 1/4" space between the two planks and 1"at the bottom. I figure that I will line them with landscape material and the gaps will help with drainage and air circulation? But what do I know.

Both were supposed to be 12'.
You get what you pay for.

I had my head in my ass when I was shopping and only got 2 12'ers instead of 4 so I got half of the long bed built and 2 of the 4x4 boxes.

Tomorrows another day.

Quote:
Old 04-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #18
Hesaid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 View Post

Thanks for the feedback Hesaid. I was thinking about going up to our hunting land upstate and loading up my truck with soil but it would cost triple in fuel with my old truck than it would to buy it local. 6mpg isn't all its cracked up to be.
Oh. 6mpg huh? Well then I doubt you'll want to drive out to my parents and get a truckload. Too bad, since I've been busy crafting a motorcycle track in the field, and have a few piles scattered about.

I'll see if I can find some pics of our setup. This weeks lessons have been about bird netting, as apparently some of our seedlings were too good for the birds to pass up . As was one of Shesaid's just ripening strawberries!

MV
Hesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:33 AM   #19
13 OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesaid View Post
Oh. 6mpg huh?
The only thing it wont pass is a gas station.

I want a 8N. I have been looking around for one to use upstate but nobody wants to sell 'em.

So are birds a problem for all the plants or just the berry bushes? I have a few feeders in the yard so hopefully the will focus on those rather than the plants.

Last year we had this brief problem

But this guy chases them off.

Quote:
Old 04-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #20
Shesaid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Here are some pix from the horse trough garden:

The containers are big enough that roots don't crowd, soil/roots stay cool... almost as good as being in the ground. The height is nice, keeps the dogs out and most bugs. I put copper tape around the edges too, keeps snails and slugs from crawling up the sides.

We put drainage holes in the bottoms too, I think the holes are mostly 40 and 38 caliber. Then added some river rock before filling with soil.

The containers with bottoms also keep out critters like gophers and adorable little bunnies.

Last year I lost all my carrot sprouts to birds. This year we covered them with bird netting. Birds only give me grief when the plants are just sprouting from seeds, when I have yummy red strawberries that they think are for them, and when my praying mantises disappear suddenly. I try to encourage the mantises, but I've had two years where they disappeared suddenly-- I blame the birds.

My biggest problem is that I simply do not have enough room for the variety of things I'd like to grow. And when the garden is in full summer mode, it can be a challenge to keep it from escaping into the yard:

Shesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:57 PM   #21
Tmaximusv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 581
Quote:

But this guy chases them off.
He looks like those Columbia ads where the CEOs mother is director of quality control!
Old 04-04-2013, 08:43 PM   #22
Hesaid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 833
Quote:
The only thing it wont pass is a gas station.

I want a 8N. I have been looking around for one to use upstate but nobody wants to sell 'em.

So are birds a problem for all the plants or just the berry bushes? I have a few feeders in the yard so hopefully the will focus on those rather than the plants.
Well, we're about two weeks away from our annual antique farm equipment show/swap meet/auction, if I see a nice one you want me to pick it up for you? Or do you want to look into shipping quotes first? A guy on another forum I frequent was just given a John Deere tracklayer with a Detroit 2 cylinder. I'm jealous. I've been using the 8n more lately, and I like the tractor, but my fathers particular specimen would be described as "rough". He's only had it a few years, and only recently retired, so I imagine it will be a project ongoing. Which is good, as it gives the rest of the family plenty of things to buy as gifts.

The birds bother the ripe berries, but don't do much to the plants. They go after the seedlings, but we're talking the little 1/2 inch tall first sprouts. My father has issues with them getting his tomatoes. My dog will do his best to keep birds (cats, moths, utility workers, Thor...) out of the yard, but he can't be there all the time.

MV
Hesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #23
13 OP

Thanks for the offer on the tractor but that investment will have to wait till next summer. I am curious what they are going for in different areas though. I was looking go one that works. Doesn't need to be pretty.

The trough gardens are great. You guys have a nice setup. Must be easy on the back. Thanks for all the info. I'm thinking of bending PVC over the beds and covering with clear plastic to get an early start. Once the temp comes up I leave the PVC and throw nets over the young plants if the birds are an issue.

As for the garden. I got all the beds completed which was good. I'll call tomorrow and schedule a topsoil delivery. I would go get it myself but the something is up with the steering in my truck.

I'm working an overnight so I just watched a bunch of YouTube videos on the square foot method. It's looking like that's gonna be the way I go although I don't know if I will plant all the squares. As it stands now I have 80 square feet just in the boxes so that might be a bit overwhelming.

HD is doing a buy one get one free deal on seed packets. I'll probably try my luck with them and maybe order a few packets online for the exotic stuff.

Some pics from today. The whole family was out for inspection.

Quote:
Old 04-05-2013, 07:20 AM   #24
NovaTrophy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Great plan. I have 2 plastic rain barrels (need more) with flex tubing leading from the downspouts. A good rain will fill a 45 gallon barrel in very short time, I then reroute the flex hose to the piping leading away from the house when they are full. Plants LOVE the warm rain water. A local home brewing store sells the ones that held malt so they are food safe ($20 each).

My backyard is full sun all summer and was very wet due to the clay soil. I used clear stone to raise it up and level the beds off. Still working on it and will put some more in this year.

Teaching the kids about growing crops is the way to go. I spend a lot of time with the wee un digging and planting. She waited all summer for a certain tomato to ripen (which she promptly dropped in the kitchen when it did...I still used it).

With limited space, a person can do this too. Saw this in Gorham, New Hampshire last summer. Loved the idea.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:32 AM   #25
sweetwater
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
My kids just found a new project...thanks for the write-up!
sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:12 PM   #26
Shesaid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Awesome to see all the things OTHER than tomatoes growing upside down! I've always wanted to try it with other plants.
Shesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #27
13 OP

Wow Nova, that's a beautiful yard. I really like how it's on a slight hill. From what I hear the town I live in is planning to sell rain barrels and composters to residents at cost sometime this summer. I'll probably hold out to see if that comes to reality.

My father inlaw and brother inlaw have both tried the upside down planters and neither had had much luck. That being said, those two could somehow put water in the freezer and never get ice.

I got over to HD today and grabbed some supplies. The same Burpees seeds that were $2.39 and up online were on sale for between $0.50 and $1.25. They only had the basics so I'll probably place an order tonight for some more. They had Disney themed packets which got Charlie all excited.

I was really hoping it wouldn't come to this but...

So I got most of the squash seeds in plus Mickey tomatoes, goofy carrots, and Pluto radishes.

I'm still undecided if I want to go with a "Mel's Mix" type soil or topsoil with some amendments.

Another issue is the boxes. I would like to use a sealer on the outside of the boxes to keep them from greying up. Everything I read says not to used "treated" lumber. Would putting a coat of thompsons on the outside make it treated? I would leave the inside natural.

Just a side note. As I'm walking out of HD there's a woman complaining that the employee would not load the rest of her topsoil in the back of her "truck". In the back of her Mercedes SUV was about 15-20 40lb bags of topsoil. There was just as much left on her flat cart. The "truck" in question looked to be bottomed out and tires bulging.

Quote:
Old 04-06-2013, 12:20 AM   #28
ArcticaMT6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
A blog that I've been reading up on is with a lady here in Seattle.

nwedible.com

Lots of good ideas, though some of the things may not apply to your climate.
ArcticaMT6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:46 AM   #29
13 OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticaMT6 View Post
A blog that I've been reading up on is with a lady here in Seattle.

nwedible.com

Lots of good ideas, though some of the things may not apply to your climate.
Climate may be different but she's got some good recipes on her blog.

http://www.nwedible.com/

Quote:
Old 04-06-2013, 03:33 AM   #30
Hodag
native

Oddometer: 22,791
i kinda do this stuff for a living...
what do you guys think of grafted veggies?

not to be confused with gmo's
Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: