Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 06:27 PM   #1
motomatto OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Buying Advice: Ducati Multistrada vs All the Alternatives (Tiger, Tenere, GS)

Hey folks,

I used to ride a 650GS, which I loved because it was nimble and I grew up in the dirt. But it was a bit underpowered, and not so great for long road rides.

Now I'm looking for something that has a little more umph, can tour more comfortably, head out on a fire road, and has that spark of fun.

I rode the Multistrada (2012 model) and just had a blast. Very fun and nimble with plenty of power. Plus I can get a used one for $6500, which is approx. my price point.

My question is this -- the Ducati's great for the road, but how does it fare in the dirt or for short tours (few days)?

Also, any other recommended bikes for that price range.

CLARIFICATION. I rode the 2012 and really liked it. BUT I can find a used MST (2005ish) for $6500, which is the price I'm going for. A 2012 MST for $6500 would be suspect indeed!

motomatto screwed with this post 03-31-2013 at 10:42 AM Reason: Clarification
motomatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:44 PM   #2
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomatto View Post

My question is this -- the Ducati's great for the road, but how does it fare in the dirt or for short tours (few days)?

Also, any other recommended bikes for that price range.
The Multi is a serious giggle, no doubt about it. I haven't hears anybody use the word "nimble" with any of the others. The big GS is going to be closest, but it ain't close.

A Multi is a fine sport touring bike that will do well maintained dirt roads. The biggest problem (other than the 17" front tire) is that dropping it costs thousands.
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:16 PM   #3
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
if you can get one for 6500, that would be a steal so I would just do it -

I toured extensively on my 2010 and it is all day comfortable. I did my share of dirt roads, and a few I shouldn't have. When that voice in your head says you should probably turn around I would listen. They don't tolerate being dropped very well.
Dave.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:26 PM   #4
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomatto View Post
I rode the Multistrada (2012 model) and just had a blast. Very fun and nimble with plenty of power. Plus I can get a used one for $6500, which is approx. my price point.
A 2012 Multistrada for $6500? And you didn't buy it??? Buy it. If you find you don't like it let me know and I'll buy it from you.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:32 PM   #5
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,318
How many bikes will you be buying?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...9#post21071939

Maybe you could use the KTM off road and the Multi for touring?
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:58 PM   #6
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,243
My take...

The sensible step up from a trail bike -- Tiger800XC.

Biggest fun MTS, but don't treat it too rough. For the price you are looking at you could just buy it and sell it if it wasn't your thing or you pooped your pants. Might even make some money for your trouble.
KTM - 990. It's a dirt bike version of the Multi. Great fun off road. Bit of a pain on the slab.
S10. Long Haul, No fuss, Built properly to take shit. Lots of good design in it for the real RTW or long distance rider. Ultra reliable. Can go places it has no right to be. Not a KTM off road though.
KTM - 1190? Dunno. Sports Touring?
WC - GS. Wait. There are some very nice people out there beta testing at the moment.
GS 2012. Like an S10 but different with more bells and whistles. Drowns easier, bit more top heavy, Breaks more often. Not as tough but lighter and sportier. Cost more to buy and run. IF switches give you wood it's worth a look.
Tiger 1200, Fashionable Sports touring. Never ridden one.
Xtourer. NA in the states. But should be more popular IMO. Honda is not fashionable just now.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:28 PM   #7
mammal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
I admit I'm a little skeptical that you've found a 1200 for that price...is it possibly an 1100 or 1000? Still great bikes, but different in many ways, and $6500 is more in line with used 1000/1100 models.
Even so, if you're looking at one of the air-cooled (1000/1100) models, they're awesome bikes for touring, and, if kitted appropriately, good for fire-road type riding. Check out strada-avventurosa.com for accessories specifically geared to making the air-cooled bikes more dirt-worthy. I bought the SA luggage rack for my '04, and it's incredibly sturdy and well built.
For me, the Multi hits the spot you're describing exactly. Light weight, good power, decent looks, incredibly versatile. And, like others said, if it is a 2010 for $6500, run and buy it now (or send me the seller's info so I can)
mammal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:58 PM   #8
Wobbleside
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
The MTS 1000/1100 (2v Aircooled) bikes are very different bikes from the MTS 1200. They are smaller, lighter and have half to a 2/3rds the horsepower of the 1200. They require more maintenance but it is much more DIY friendly and they lack most of the complicated electronic bits of the new MTS.
Wobbleside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #9
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
The Tiger is the right one. Way more reliable than a Ducati or BMW, unless you want a status symbol.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:25 AM   #10
Jackazz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
The Tiger is the right one. Way more reliable than a Ducati or BMW, unless you want a status symbol.
I have a Ducati and a BMW, stop by the local Starbucks and I'll autograph your bike with a sharpie!

JA
Jackazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:08 AM   #11
Eric R. Shelton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
I had an MTS 620, and I miss it to this day. Nowhere near as much power as the bigger bikes, it had an ugly rear swingarm and topped out around 110 mph. But by all that was holy, that thing handled like it was on rails. I was still pretty inexperienced but that thing let me drag pegs and scrape off all the chicken strips on the tires with ease. I'll try to post pics in the next day or so. Meanwhile, here's a link with old news you may have already read.

If you're looking at a bigger engine MTS (for that price, I should hope you are), it's the same frame, but a nicer looking swingarm and a dry, typical Ducati clutch. If that noise won't drive you mad, I highly recommend the bike.

Edited to add: I didn't answer your actual question at all! Argh! My apologies for just running my mouth (keyboard?) before this. While I am probably the world's worst dirt rider, I would be okay with taking the MTS on gravel, dirt roads, etc. I would even tour with it, and loved the available top box from Givi. Some of my other MTS-owning friends were better in the dirt and could really ride their bikes. My limitations would be fire roads, etc. But to each their own...

Eric R. Shelton screwed with this post 04-05-2013 at 12:23 AM Reason: answer OP question a little better
Eric R. Shelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:45 AM   #12
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
If you want dirt credentials look no further than the 990 Adv, 950SE or 800GS.

Those are the most serious dirt offroaders and can go pretty much anywhere with the right pilot.

Tiger & multi are nice but I don't think I'd take either offroad.
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote