User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 07:05 PM   #8101
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 837
Question stupid question

could you not just gut them and repack them or something to that extent. I have one in my furnace room collecting dust hoping it wont catch on fire.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #8102
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by StepOnIt View Post
could you not just gut them and repack them or something to that extent. I have one in my furnace room collecting dust hoping it wont catch on fire.
I have yet to see a post with any pics showing a gut job. I gutted a couple BMW collector pipe cats with great results but that big muffler would likely present flow problems and have unknown effects on power delivery.

Supposing I had the time, and could weld it without paying $50 to a guy with real welding skills, I'd try it. But I'd like to see what's inside before I start cutting.

Ultimately, I think it would be cool to have a very quiet non cat stock look, even at the cost of a couple ponies...
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:48 PM   #8103
JustBob
Uh...who me?

Oddometer: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfighter View Post
ultimately, i think it would be cool to have a very quiet non cat stock look, even at the cost of a couple ponies...
+1
'11 WR250R
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:21 PM   #8104
ArcticRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
RONINMOTO where are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticRider View Post
Hey Gents,
I am new to the 690 and riding in Arizona (ambient temp 80'ish). It's a 2008 with 15K miles and the high temp warning light goes on frequently and the gauge reaches 12 bars and flashes. This occurs at stop lights as well as during uphill rides. No error codes are thrown.

The surprising thing is that the fan never cycles on until I am at what KTM manual indicates as "critical temps"--several minutes after the red warning light comes on and the temp bars max out at 12 and flash.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Follow-Up: The PO, the PPO and their long time riding buddy all brainstormed and offered not only the PO's fully stocked shop but even hands on help. The problem was a corroded ground! The corrosion caused the instrument cluster temp gauge to reflect a temp "2 bars" higher than the actual engine temperature. The fan continued to cycle at the actual temperature.

So the cluster would read 12 bars and begin to flash red before the fan would even be activated at 10 bars. The engine was never actually overheating. After the "crew" sanded all contact surfaces down to a fresh shiny finish, they applied some di-electric grease and tightened it up. Voila...the cluster started behaving properly.

One question: the bike was stored most of the past year with a battery tender attached. Is it possible the trickle voltage would encourage corrosion?

Hope this experience might help someone in the future....
ArcticRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:38 PM   #8105
Aaron from Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
Hey guys, Hell for Leather held a contest to win some Kriega gear. The point was to take a picture of yourself doing something "epic" on your bike while using Kriega gear.

I made it to the final 12, and now it's up to a vote!

Here's mine, and my handle is "akirkland"

EDIT: Linky Now Worky -> HERE

Would really, really appreciate the support, or just go and vote for whoever's pic you feel is the best!

But given this is a KTM 690 thread, I would hope you guys would vote for the best bike!

Aaron from Texas screwed with this post 04-05-2013 at 07:12 AM
Aaron from Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:14 PM   #8106
Humanbeingexpert
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
^ linkey no workey...or you would have another vote
Humanbeingexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:11 AM   #8107
slidefighter
Gather it up, keep on...

Oddometer: 231
I couldn't get it to work either...

"Never adopt an ideology that masks a lack of courage"
slidefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:14 AM   #8108
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,117
New and improved linky

or

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/20...the-finalists/
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:14 AM   #8109
sprouty115
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
This should get you there but there seems to be a formatting issue as I could only see one "vote" button at the bottom. I clicked it assuming it would bring me to a new page but instead I got a "thank you for voting" response. Guess I voted for the last picture?: http://hellforleathermagazine.com/20...ists/#comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk the Jerk View Post
Hey guys, Hell for Leather held a contest to win some Kriega gear. The point was to take a picture of yourself doing something "epic" on your bike while using Kriega gear.

Would really, really appreciate the support, or just go and vote for whoever's pic you feel is the best!

But given this is a KTM 690 thread, I would hope you guys would vote for the best bike!
sprouty115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:31 AM   #8110
tattewell
Mad Poser

Oddometer: 725
It's a poorly setup page. You had to select the small circle above the pic then scroll to the bottom and click vote... somehow the very un-impressive BMW R1000 thingy is walking away with it... must have a big family, cause there is nothing epic about that... or most of those pictures for that matter.
tattewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:54 AM   #8111
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 3,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk the Jerk View Post

done. I see you are in the lead

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Husaberg tank for sale: HERE
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:14 AM   #8112
Aaron from Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
Fixed the link in my previous post, and here's another -> HERE

It really is a poorly setup page, there is a radio button you have to toggle above the picture, then scroll down and select "Vote"

Thanks for the votes, guys!
Old 04-05-2013, 07:15 AM   #8113
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 7,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by slidefighter View Post
You're welcome, Ged. Hope someone finds something there they can eventually use.

By the way, where do stock 690 exhausts go to die? There must be a 1,000 of them piled up somewhere being eaten on by catalytic termites or something! Is my brand new one good for absolutely nothing?

P.S. I don't have a boat.

Lee...
Mine went to a scrap yard.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #8114
wiswoodsguy
Kmart shopper

Oddometer: 973
Am I the only 690 owner that hates the stock heat shields ??

I keep seeing them on everyones bikes and wonder why you still have them on there. IMHO they put the heat back towards the bike and creates or could possibly create all sorts of issues.

I carved mine down to less than half its original size and have had no issues with heat what so ever. Cool to the touch and no complaints from my passenger. In fact, Im going to shrink them down even further.

I know there are a few companies that created some carbon fiber ones - but they are modeled after the stock ones and still look hideous
wiswoodsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:22 AM   #8115
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 7,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiswoodsguy View Post
Am I the only 690 owner that hates the stock heat shields ??

I keep seeing them on everyones bikes and wonder why you still have them on there. IMHO they put the heat back towards the bike and creates or could possibly create all sorts of issues.

I carved mine down to less than half its original size and have had no issues with heat what so ever. Cool to the touch and no complaints from my passenger. In fact, Im going to shrink them down even further.

I know there are a few companies that created some carbon fiber ones - but they are modeled after the stock ones and still look hideous
Both mine eventually fell off, damn screws vibrated out all the time. I replaced em with the CF ones figuring they'd do better with the vibration. So far so good. I don't give a shit how they look, all that matters to me is that they work.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote