Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 04:33 PM   #1576
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrogomezrios View Post
Hi Bryce.

We are thinking to ride a couple of DR650 or KLR650, these are our main options for our RTW, we are planning to ride Brasil Br 319, russian Bam and a lot of off-road at África...
Man, that is so cool! I bet Daniel is super excited! I think you should go for the DR650's. Everyone does this kind of stuff on KLR's.
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #1577
mathews42
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
Day 152 (March 17, 2013)
Cerro Castillo, Chile to Coyhaique, Chile
Day's Ride: 71 Miles

Dylan just showed me how to do an interactive version of the maps that I do most everyday to map the day's route, so we'll give this a try. Right off the bat, I'm not sure how much I like it. If you think the old way was better, let me know and I'll put those back in.

View Larger Map

I awoke to the sounds of fishing and emerged from my tent to find that one of the overlanders had caught another trout. This one measured about 17 inches and was caught with some crappy second hand lures on a normal fishing rod. Jeff, if you are reading this, here's your fish:

We said our goodbyes and hit the road. The peak Cerro Castillo and some other smaller spires soon came into view:

Just past the puebla of Cerro Castillo the road went back to pavement. The road was incredible and the views were fantastic.

So far I think that the Carretera Austral is one of the best roads that I've been on during this trip. The combination of ripio, pavement, and incredible scenery have combined to make this an incredible ride.

We took a short day and stopped in the town of Coyhaique, population 50,000. This is the largest town we are going to hit for a while so we decided that it would be a good idea to get some supplies and some American dollars before crossing back into Argentina.
Just saw this... Decent brown but not like the ones in TDF!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Beads in the headlight a Flying Aga Tale by Isabel Dyson I met these two travelers on their Journey from the UK to Alaska and through South America on a 1979 BMW R100RS. Their book is now on Amazon for Kindle.
mathews42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:32 AM   #1578
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
As we used to say, Errr! Congrats! What's his MOS? Are you going to the graduation? I was one very happy Lance Corporal when I graduated boot camp; I'm sure he's going to be excited to get off that god-forsaken Island.
I am sorry for the delay.

(edited) Alright, here's what I found out. He's ranked 2nd in his platoon and 4th in his company. 241/250 on the range. His mom doesn't remember the MOS but it has something to do with tanks and electronics and/or diesel mechanics. We'll be seeing him back home in the next couple of weeks so I'll find out more then. He can't wait to come home and of course mom and dad can't wait to see him.

We were planning to go to the graduation but something came up with my wife at work and she can't take off. We went for her brother's graduation there several years ago, toured the facility, and heard the kudos from his commanding officers. I remember the place looked spiffy. I really wanted to walk across the parade deck. My bro-in-law was glad to be done then, also. The graduation visit was a very pleasant experience, but unless something changes we won't make it this time. It's also eight hours of interstate driving time one way - and that, I don't regret missing.

Meanwhile, I hope your crating is going well.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)

ONandOFF screwed with this post 04-05-2013 at 05:21 PM
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #1579
Leminkainen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Awesome stuff

Sounds like a great trip man! Hope that you are enjoying the hell out of the last few days you have down there!

Lem
Leminkainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:42 PM   #1580
CatTomb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Bittersweet

I am feeling a pending sense of loss as you approach the end of your journey. The pending dismemberment and coffining of the bike, the loss of your ride and a long flight home feel much more personal to me then I would have ever expected.

I think it is a result of your ability to convey in words your emotions. Great job and thank you for allowing me to ride virtual pillion.

I look forward to meeting up in CO for a ride.

Safe travels.
CatTomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:56 PM   #1581
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

The Final Ride and Crating Too....

Day 169 (April 4, 2013)
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Day's Ride: 20.5 Miles

View Larger Map

Started off the day with a little bike cleaning. A couple people have warned me that pulling a muddy bike off the plane can mean fines when you arrive in the states; I figured a little pressure washing would solve that.

Even though I asked very politely, they wouldn't let me run the hose. I cringed every time the guy running the pressure washer ran it over the wheels. It seems like all the workers at car washes have a tendency to aim straight for the wheel bearings.

With all of the mud from the Carretera Austral finally washed off, I headed back to Dakar Motos to load up and get ready to head to the airport with Peter, a Brit on an Africa Twin.

I had a great time riding the last 20 miles through Buenos Aires rush hour traffic. A few more minutes of white lining and passing on the right had me wishing that I didn't have to send the bike home just yet.

We arrived at the airport and linked up with another rider, a Colombian on a BMW F650. Eventually, we were lead into a warehouse where we had our bikes weighed (I came in at 220 kilos fully loaded) and then put on a palates.

The palates for all three bikes were of the same length; I had been expecting something more "crate" like. However, with the palate already pre-built, the only things that I could do to my bike to reduce the overall dimensions of the palate, and hence the cost of shipping, were to make it as short and light as possible.

With my bike up on the palate, I set to work removing the windscreen, handlebars, support struts, and front tire. I had been planning on removing the rear wheel two, but eventually decided against it due to the fact that the Aduana staff were getting ready to go on a three hour lunch break. I really didn't want to be hanging out at the airport all day while I waited for the Argentinians to get their act together. I also had to drain all of the gas out. I gave it one of the guys who was doing the crating for us.

With the bike resting on the front forks, the workers built a little wooden bracket to keep it from moving around, then began strapping the bike down with nylon webbing.

With the bike secured to the pallet, I began cramming my gear into all of the available nooks and crannies. For some reason, you aren't allowed to put camping gear on the pallet with your bike which meant that I would now be stuck lugging around my tent and sleeping bag for the next few days. Luckily, we were allowed to put riding gear on the pallet. At least I don't have to wear that white body armor through the airport when I fly home...

The next step was the scanner. A forklikft came over, picked up my bike, placed it on a little conveyor, let the Aduana people run it through their massive x-ray machine, then picked it up and brought it back.

The final step involved wrapping the entire bike in massive swaths of plastic wrap.

I tried to get some more pictures of the final product, but one of the Aduana ladies finally noticed my camera and told me that pictures were prohibited in the loading bay. Bah humbug!

I said one last fair well to my Caballo de Hierro, my faithful steed "El Senior", and then headed out with Peter and Marichio (the Colombian rider) to catch a micro bus back into the city. I decided to not be too nostalgic; that could wait a few days until things settled down. Besides, I wasn't finished with the whole shipping process yet; the final price and payment for the shipment would all be worked out the next day, downtown in the freight office headquarters.

That night I met up with Dylan, Corey, and Steve (aka RexBuck from "South America by Geezer") at the Kilkenny, a famous Irish pub in downtown BA. Thanks for the recommendation, diegotek!

Old 04-05-2013, 06:29 PM   #1582
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathews42 View Post
Just saw this... Decent brown but not like the ones in TDF!
Decent? That thing was like 17 inches! Plus, you didn't have to pay $100 for a guide.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:04 PM   #1583
donnh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Thanks for the RR!

I just came across your RR and skipped to the end. Hopefully I can catch up on your report in the next few days. Where did you stay in BA? I'm in Pucon Chile and have an appointment at DakarMotos in two weeks to wrap up our trip. I was wondering how much you could ship on the pallet. We are a group of 6, three from Seattle, two from Oregon and one from Idaho. The two guys from Oregon made this trip 50 years ago and this is their anniversary ride! Thanks for sharing!
donnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:10 PM   #1584
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnh View Post
I just came across your RR and skipped to the end. Hopefully I can catch up on your report in the next few days. Where did you stay in BA? I'm in Pucon Chile and have an appointment at DakarMotos in two weeks to wrap up our trip. I was wondering how much you could ship on the pallet. We are a group of 6, three from Seattle, two from Oregon and one from Idaho. The two guys from Oregon made this trip 50 years ago and this is their anniversary ride! Thanks for sharing!
Geeeeez, DonNH. Where &*&# have you been? 6 guys from the PNW, and nobody connected with this thread? Where is your thread?

Now i am mad. Hurry up and tell us your story, BEFORE you ship your bikes!
Old 04-05-2013, 07:16 PM   #1585
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,526
Cool, a job well done enjoyed your RR
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:18 PM   #1586
advFord
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 451
I honestly didn't think you'd make it. congrats! After you were ran over by the boat and then surfing your bike down the slippery highway, i don't know how you made it! I'll buy you a beer at the next HU meeting!
Facebook
Instagram @PlacesBeyond My Spot
advFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:51 PM   #1587
mathews42
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Decent? That thing was like 17 inches! Plus, you didn't have to pay $100 for a guide.
I've caught bigger browns in NM. 30" is decent for TDF. A good one is 40" 15 pounds in TDF.... 6 months of travel and spending... What's 100 bucks?

Beads in the headlight a Flying Aga Tale by Isabel Dyson I met these two travelers on their Journey from the UK to Alaska and through South America on a 1979 BMW R100RS. Their book is now on Amazon for Kindle.
mathews42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:47 PM   #1588
diegoteck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Day 169 (April 4, 2013)
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Day's Ride: 20.5 Miles

That night I met up with Dylan, Corey, and Steve (aka RexBuck from "South America by Geezer") at the Kilkenny, a famous Irish pub in downtown BA. Thanks for the recommendation, diegotek!

I'm glad you guys had a good time there and I was in a small way able to contribute to the memories of your trip.
Truly inspiring, thank you for sharing and congrats!!
Hopefully next year I'll be sharing mine riding my proyect bike.
diegoteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #1589
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathews42 View Post
I've caught bigger browns in NM. 30" is decent for TDF. A good one is 40" 15 pounds in TDF.... 6 months of travel and spending... What's 100 bucks?

Don't be a hater jeff. You know that trout was huge!
Old 04-06-2013, 03:16 PM   #1590
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by advFord View Post
I honestly didn't think you'd make it. congrats! After you were ran over by the boat and then surfing your bike down the slippery highway, i don't know how you made it! I'll buy you a beer at the next HU meeting!
Wow, thanks for the vote of confidence man. I'll take you up on that beer!