User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 10:33 AM   #1
doorman OP
Aimless

Oddometer: 227
ninja 250 mini tourer

I bought a 2001 ninja over the winter for 700$. My plans are to use it for commuting during the week, and touring when I have the time. So far I am very pleased with the comfort and fuel economy.

Originally, I had plans to weld up a rack and come up with some hard luggage. After much deliberation though, I decided I wanted a simpler setup that would be easy to remove for commuter duty. I had a Walmart gift card, I otherwise had no use for, so I got all of my luggage there. Time will tell how it holds up.

Here is what I have so far:

I also wear a dslr backpack to carry my camera equipment. Hopefully, I will be able to test everything out soon.

Motoflyfishing
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=894025
doorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:09 PM   #2
studad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
Nice setup. The 250 provided some of the most fun I've had on a bike.
studad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:42 PM   #3
Terrytori
Namaste

Oddometer: 1,827
Right tool for the job.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=513116

http://www.secordgallery.com/gallery...2_itemId=35642
Terrytori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #4
doorman OP
Aimless

Oddometer: 227
I actually took that report into account before buying the ninja. It really helped with the decision.

Motoflyfishing
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=894025
doorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #5
Daz-o-matic
HOT POOP

Oddometer: 344
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=675841

Here's a good thread; couple folks riding 2-up on a Ninjette in places that many will never take their dual sport. Pretty cool!

My first and current bike is a Ninja 500. Like you, I use mine for commuting and touring - an awesome first bike (especially for a 5'3" shortarse like me). Someday when I'm rich instead of pretty I'll have an F700GS or maybe an R1200R, but the Ninja will serve me well until then.

Loaded up at Duffy Lake, BC.
Daz-o-matic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:33 PM   #6
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
Here's a video you might find interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVxoVEMTXp8

I had a 2007 Ninja 250 I bought new, but felt it was just a bit small for me, so I sold it with just over 5,000 miles on it, and got a new 500 Ninja. Major mistake. While the 250 really was to small for me (6' 220, 34" inseam) that helped dealing with the sport bike riding position. My arms were long enough to reach the bars while still sitting fairly upright, with a bend in my elbows. The 500 had a much longer reach to the bars, and my arms were straight. I had to support a lot of my upper body weight with my arms and shoulders, and bend my neck way back to see where I was going. That caused a lot of pain, and I gave it up and sold that bike as well, with about 5,000 miles on it in 3 years.

If you can handle the riding position for a long period of time, the 250 makes an excellent touring bike, and you can get way more stuff on it than you might think. If you really want to spend big money (about what you paid for the bike) you can get a Ventura Bike Pack System with 2 of their biggest bags for it. It is a custom fit setup, and works perfectly. Combined with a Cortech 14L tank bag, it will hold pretty much everything you need.

One really cool thing about the first generation Ninja is it's centerstand, which makes chain maintenance and flat repair easy. I recommend always carrying stuff to fix flats. With the Ninja's tubeless tires, all you need is a plug kit and a pump.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:04 PM   #7
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz-o-matic View Post
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=675841

Here's a good thread; couple folks riding 2-up on a Ninjette in places that many will never take their dual sport. Pretty cool!

My first and current bike is a Ninja 500. Like you, I use mine for commuting and touring - an awesome first bike (especially for a 5'3" shortarse like me). Someday when I'm rich instead of pretty I'll have an F700GS or maybe an R1200R, but the Ninja will serve me well until then.

Loaded up at Duffy Lake, BC.
you beat me to it! I'm reading that thread now...

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #8
YJake
Roaming

Oddometer: 321
Load it up and take off...

Some of the best times I have had on a bike, I'm honestly not sure that I will part with it due to its versatility and cost to run. I still use it as my primary commuter over my 500 and 1200 No other bike offers so much value for your dollar.

-Jake
Old 04-05-2013, 07:23 PM   #9
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,376
Its been proven you need at least 900cc's to do any interstate or touring.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #10
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,857
Ninja 250 touring? Hell Yes! 3500 miles in 6 Western states and I only really wished for more power twice.

Load her up and take off

Jimmy the Heater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:30 PM   #11
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJake View Post

I still use it as my primary commuter over my 500 and 1200 No other bike offers so much value for your dollar.

-Jake
I do this too. I have a Ninja 500, SV1000, and BMW K1200LT, and the one that gets ridden the most is my Ninja 250.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:22 PM   #12
firebrick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 896
I just traded in my 05 touring ninjette for a new vstrom. these pictures make me miss it already. hopefully the strom can do what the ninja did for me

Old 04-05-2013, 11:11 PM   #13
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
Oh one more thing. If that Ninja has stock gearing, going up one more tooth on the front sprocket will make everything a lot better. The older Ninja 250 was one of those one in a million bikes that really was undergeared. Going up to a 15 tooth front sprocket will help on both the top end and the bottom end. It's better everywhere, no sacrifices anywhere.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:31 AM   #14
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Oh one more thing. If that Ninja has stock gearing, going up one more tooth on the front sprocket will make everything a lot better. The older Ninja 250 was one of those one in a million bikes that really was undergeared. Going up to a 15 tooth front sprocket will help on both the top end and the bottom end. It's better everywhere, no sacrifices anywhere.

Very true, did this to mine as well and never regretted it. Could not tell any difference in the low end acceleration that I was supposed to loose.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:14 AM   #15
YJake
Roaming

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I'll +3 this.

If you need new rubber, the Pirelli Sport Demons are an excellent choice for road use and wear. I have 6k on my set and the rear has yet to show any wear. They are slightly larger than stock though, but will give you a slightly higher seat height and I feel like they are more "stable" on the highway.

Also for touring, buy a cheap 08+ Ninja rear shock.

They are stiffer and raise your seat height slightly, they also have adjustable preload which the stocker does not. Best $40 mod you can do to the bike especially if you plan to tour.

God I love the little bastard. If you'll excuse me, I have to hop on it and head to work now

-Jake