Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 12:18 PM   #16
brycekauai
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Sounds like the belt slapping to me. When did you change it last?
brycekauai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:36 PM   #17
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,985
You worry to much,they all make noise at idle,especially if its idling to low.I have an 85 with around 30k on it and have never touched anything on it but regular maintenance.My Elite 250 makes noise and so does my Reflex. By the way ,I have an extra ignitor box off my 250 but I'm pretty sure they are the same. I had trouble with my 250 a few yrs ago and went thru hell trying to figure it out, Carb,ignitor,coil, you name it I tried it. Turned out the exhaust had fallen apart internally. New helix muffler fixed it.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:35 PM   #18
nerdydaddyo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Thumb

That's reassuring, Baloney. And as for my drive belt, brand spanking new Gates Powerlink 799 19 belt from ScooterDomain. It's the real deal, and that is the exact size needed. Just real loose at idle and not sure what to do about that. With the belt off, no noise, and that video I posted was WITHOUT the cover on, so not sure if the belt was actually hitting anything. To be honest, the movable face was off when I had no noise as well. One of the two is the culprit most likely, but if the crankshaft is not a concern with its roughly 1MM of endplay, then I'm a happy camper. I love this scooter even though I haven't taken it farther than one mile. This has been a dream for 20 years to own, so I'm being meticulous when it comes to examining her and making sure she will be in top form from the moment I have her entirely back together. Thanks to anyone who has any advice, and I assure you I don't shrug ANY of it off. I try all advice as long as it won't permanently damage the scooter (like using water to clean carbon deposits - too risky for me).
nerdydaddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:25 PM   #19
nerdydaddyo OP
Adventurer

Question

This guy has a drive belt that stays tight after the bike is first started and once it stops as well. That is an issue I have been having for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=fBHAM1am-UE

I don't know if it is normal for the belt to be loose on this scooter, or if it is something that is not doing what it is supposed to, but the belt is brand new and the correct size. Just slaps away at the low rough idle, but once the throttle is applied, it tightens up decent, but still has some jumping to it.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:05 PM   #20
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

The belt should be loose at idle. What can happen though is if the front variator is allowed to come open when the belt is removed,as in running with no belt on it,the rollers will come out of their ramps and lock the variator in an open position causing a direct drive condition and it will stall out when you try to stop. It also will no longer open correctly and there will be no top speed.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:22 PM   #21
nerdydaddyo OP
Adventurer

Update

Now for the update. I went ahead and removed the movable face, disassembled it, and if I wasn't mistaken, looks like SOMEONE ran the scooter with the belt off (wasn't me). Anyhow, I put the rollers back in and greased as needed, and reassembled the movable face carefully: I even waited until it was completely on the crankshaft before inserting the boss collar. With everything tightened back up, and the drive belt ON FIRST, I cranked her up, and found ZERO noise from the crankshaft area as seen in my video. So the crankshaft seems OK. All that is left is a compression test, which I don't think will be an issue at this point (I received the 12mm compression test adapter a few days ago). Already in the process of reassembling the body, but I have one favor to ask of anyone who has a CH150: Can you please send me a photo showing how the drive belt air cleaner is supposed to be installed? When I got the scooter, it didn't have one. I bought an OEM replacement, but can't for the life of me figure out how it is installed. Thanks.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:44 PM   #22
Wentwest
How's that work?

Oddometer: 471
I don't know the answer about the air cleaner, but you need to ride that scooter around a while. What sounds odd and noisy or just plain strange, and what feels weird all changes a lot after you go through a tank of fuel. After 100 miles or so you get comfortable with the machine and how it runs, and then the grins start. I don't know where you are, but get on that scooter and ride it.
Wentwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:23 PM   #23
nerdydaddyo OP
Adventurer

If anyone is interested, I have a scan of the owner's manual for the 1985 Honda CH150D Elite Deluxe.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eflmojwv2i...s%20Manual.pdf
Old 04-06-2013, 03:26 AM   #24
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wentwest View Post
Looks like it's burning lean. Clean the pilot jet circuit again, poke a very thin guitar string into the holes. Make sure the float level is right. Hondas start.
Is pilot jet another name for the slow jet? The hole through the slow jet is tiny and long. I used a single strand of copper from an electrical wire to clear the way. This is the first thing that gets plugged and your symptoms sound like what I experienced on my CH125 after 17 years of sitting idle.. It will not start below 40 degrees though.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:51 PM   #25
nerdydaddyo OP
Adventurer

Question

Here's the deal. An update on my CH150D: I recently took it for a long ride, made it to the top of the mountains, but it died before I could turn around and turn back. It wouldn't start at all, just turning the starter until the battery finally gave out. So when I got it home, I smelled fuel. I looked on the air cleaner side and saw a wet line coming from the air cleaner. When I removed the air cleaner, about 1/4 cup of straight fuel poured out. What's worse is that it was coming from the crankcase through the vent, and I know this because when I checked my oil level, it had risen and reeked of fuel. So now I am positive that it is the carburetor and would like to rebuild it. The problem is that I cannot find the kit to rebuild this particular carburetor anywhere. If anyone knows where to find the kit, other than advice such as Google, eBay, etc, such as an exact weblink or a part number of some sort, I would really appreciate it. Until then, the scooter is grounded. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:14 PM   #26
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,556
Scrappy dog scooters parts online I guess or bike bandit . Since it just a single carb go buy a 45 bucks ultra sonic jewelry cleaner and run it through it . You could also just cut the oem container that come with it down and fit a lager one in it's place .
Old 04-26-2013, 06:47 PM   #27
nerdydaddyo OP
Adventurer

Thumb

This is going to be a long post full of extremely useful information to anyone who is experiencing any of the symptoms that I had.

At the end of this post, I will explain my CH150D's relevance on the Adventure Rider website.

This is in response to all useful advice I have received, starting with outofcontrol. You were right: the carburetor was ultimately the culprit. I went on eBay, found myself the "675" version which supersedes my "671" carburetor (both of these are Keihin originals, the replacement was used but like new) and ordered a new set of slow and main jets along with main jet holder, a new float valve, and painstakingly went through every port with Gumout carb cleaner until I was satisfied that everything was clear. Here's the deal; what I did to the new (used) carburetor I had also tried on the one that was originally on my bike, but there were some obvious issues. First, the choke (enrichment) jet was completely clogged, and I mean like green bubble gum clogged. Same issue with the slow jet, but at least the slow jet could have been removed and cleaned or replaced. I used two small electric guitar strings and cleared the blockages with a combination of CLR, carb cleaner, and patience, and the rest of the carburetor flowed freely, but something else was worse. The throttle plate was bent all to heck, almost as if someone went in and beat it with a hammer and screwdriver, and I just didn't feel like it was worth the time and effort to bother with that carburetor anymore, so I stripped what parts could be salvaged, and went with the new (used) replacement which had zero blockage issues. The very first time I fired it up, instant difference, and I mean it sounded like a brand new scooter. Perfect, even idle with no fluctuation, and no rattling noise or anything. So huge thanks to outofcontrol on that suggestion. The Monster Scooter Parts No Rev CDI is a good box. I had no issues whatsoever with starting or anything, and since the carburetor made such a difference, I can't tell what contribution the CDI made to the equation, so my advice it buy it anyways because of the updated technology involved in the No Rev CDI versus the factory CDI with it's nearly 30 year old internals; that was for bryce. Now, as for the carburetor kit, there isn't one. The best thing to do is individually order the carburetor gasket kit, the jets and main jet holder, and that will be your kit. I have had the best experience for about 90% of my parts from Partzilla.com. They have had every part I needed and never an issue from what they sent. I know other people say Bike Bandit (even WinCycles said Bike Bandit), but Partzilla has been a lifesaver. When you go on their site, my scooter is known as a CH150D A (AC is California emissions model), so make sure you are looking at the right model when going through the inventory.

This leads me to my last point. Why am I on Adventure Rider with a CH150D scooter? Today I rode it 150 miles through mountains and country without stopping once. I managed speeds in excess of 60mph (where legal, although I won't admit that there was a few times the bike was going an unbelievable speed for fear of incrimination), and I intend to push it even further. I will soon post a pic of my CH150D, and what you will see is a scooter that has been restored, customized, and built for adventure, because that is what I bought it for in the first place. I love to travel, love to take pictures, and even my 9 year old son rides along at times. There will be many documented trips to come with this scooter, because I intend to show what it is really capable of. Thanks for all the help offered here, and if anyone needs advice or info on this scooter, feel free to contact me.

nerdydaddyo screwed with this post 04-26-2013 at 06:53 PM
Old 04-27-2013, 06:15 PM   #28
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Funny you mentioned top speed because today was the first I've had my 150 out since last fall and I was cleanin er out and had an indicated 70mph allbut going down a slight incline but thats amazing for an old stock 150cc scooter. She was holdin around 67-68 mph then I layed down and picked up a couple mph.It probably would have done better had I stayed tucked in longer . The other thing about your post was the 150 miles without stopping once. I've run mine empty twice at around 120 miles so you either get a lot better mileage than mine or maybe you had the speedo set to kilometers.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:45 PM   #29
nerdydaddyo OP
Adventurer

Baloney,

Asides from the carb redux, I think a combination of the No Rev CDI and Iridium spark plug, plus the new air filter and my modified breather separator setup, had a huge influence on my mileage. I got 150 miles solid. The tank was filled up to the filler neck and was run down to almost dry. It was an endurance test to find out what the limit was. I carried a gallon of gas in the trunk with me just in case, but made it home with no issues. That's the max it would pull off, and I also had new tires inflated to 32 PSI front and rear. I'm sure more factors influenced it, such as aerodynamics, load weight, terrain, etc, but those were my results, and she flew like a bat out of hell non stop. I will agree that 120 miles is a much safer bet to stick with. It is an amazing scooter when tuned up properly. I have big plans for it, and long trips it probably has never seen before. I will update my results as I embark on longer journeys.

nerdydaddyo screwed with this post 04-27-2013 at 07:51 PM
Old 04-27-2013, 08:14 PM   #30
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,556
Glad your wife no longer is going to be consider moving you to the Living Couch forever now it's running. Heres hoping the only thing you do to it is change the tires once a season.