Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 07:44 PM   #16
Yellow Jacket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Is that red a new color or did you have it painted? I've not seen a 350 yet but don't think I would like the silver and black isn't so hot either.
Yellow Jacket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #17
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,856
Painted

the color Piaggio SHOULD offer it in.

But thats just my personal opinion. And now my personal color. One of a kind.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:52 PM   #18
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,415
Any info on maintenance, especially the valves, and parts availability and cost?
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:30 AM   #19
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Svc schedule

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Any info on maintenance, especially the valves, and parts availability and cost?
http://www.piaggiousa.com/scooters.h...tenance/bv-350

Pricing, as is usual is set by each dealer. This extended service interval was a BIG factor in my selection of the BV-350 over say the Kymco 300 GTI. The bike is also a pleasure to ride. Powerful and smooth.

Parts availability, routine ones anyway doesnt seem to be an issue.

My pre-purchase, I-already-owned-a Vespa-and-have-had heartburn-with-Piaggio-before research showed a VERY satisfied group of BV owners to which I am now one. I monitored both Modern Vespa, and the motorcycling press carefully prior to pulling the trigger on not 1, but 2 of these.

So far, no regrets whatsoever.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:57 AM   #20
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogordy View Post
the color Piaggio SHOULD offer it in.

But thats just my personal opinion. And now my personal color. One of a kind.
Yours looks great, but I actually don't mind the black or the silver- it's the Red contrasts that make little sense to me. Gray would be ok, black even better, but that red is just not a good idea for places that get a lot of sun, which ironically is typically where you're going to find scooters! (Note: I'm talking about the seat and the glove box being red, NOT gogogordy's Red finish- which i love!)

Ultimately I could still see owning one of these regardless- I like the overall look and the design just seems to make sense.

My local Vespa dealer has a bunch of them in stock now.

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:29 AM   #21
iker
n00b

Oddometer: 8
bv350

hi, i've owned burgman 400 and 650, also ktmco 300gt1 and lastly
a vespa 330 super ,which I traded in for 2013 Bv30. hoo-ray trading
is over. I now own a black bv350, faco windsheld cut-out , shortened
4 ins. and a black 40 lt. top box. only other mod. is removing carb
canister from under and a airhawk on the seat . I've also took off
bump- stop for exttra leg room. mileage is now 3800 with zero
problems. best scooter I've ever owned. IMO, see yea, ike
iker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:04 PM   #22
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,093
I get 68-70 MPG with my carburetor fueled BV250. I've read the BV350 gets the same mpg. Is this true?
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:07 PM   #23
quasigentrified OP
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
I get 68-70 MPG with my carburetor fueled BV250. I've read the BV350 gets the same mpg. Is this true?
seems so. my mpg is about that -- well, closer to 62-65, but i've been on-and-off the freeway. (trying to keep it at a minimum during the break-in period.)

not experiencing as much engine pull during 0-5 mph parade speeds, so maybe the wet clutch needs a little break in. only complaint is the weird angle required to de-activate the turn signal. other than that, it's borderline PERFECTO now.
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:11 PM   #24
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

500 bucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
Yours looks great, but I actually don't mind the black or the silver- it's the Red contrasts that make little sense to me. Gray would be ok, black even better, but that red is just not a good idea for places that get a lot of sun, which ironically is typically where you're going to find scooters! (Note: I'm talking about the seat and the glove box being red, NOT gogogordy's Red finish- which i love!)

Ultimately I could still see owning one of these regardless- I like the overall look and the design just seems to make sense.

My local Vespa dealer has a bunch of them in stock now.

The black seat, glovebox, and handlebar plastic run about $500 bucks all told. ( I don't "get" the oxblood and some early owners report it fades quickly to...pink )

That said, I would've been pleased to have a silver one with the black, but Vespa Sherman Oaks in LA, the #1 selling Vespa dealer in these United States offered to paint to order his and her BV's, and well we bit at the offer. He then sourced the black goodies from Piaggio, and made us a deal we couldnt refuse. So there you have it.

The scooter rocks regardless of color, I just prefer to be visible which I didnt feel either the black or the silver are. In Europe there are 5 color choices, but just the 2 here for now....

In any event its the finest scooter Ive ridden, and for the money a compelling value...this coming from a serial Vespa owner. At this point I could not imagine spending more for a Vespa after test riding the BV-350. Yes I love my '06 GTS 250ie, but The BV-350 wasnt a consideration back then. So now I have a well used, well loved, and well maintained GTS 250, and a big-wheel BV-350. Two hallmark scooters IMO which should take care of all my scooting needs for along time to come.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:17 PM   #25
JerryH
Vintage Rider

For some reason a lot of nearly new (2000-3000 miles) BV250s and 350s tend to show up on Craigslist at very reasonable prices. And while I already have 3 scooters, none of them are highway legal. I have almost bought a BV a few times, then wondered why they were being sold so cheaply, I figured there had to be a problem. They are not cheap new at the local dealer, who is also a BMW dealer. A new BV350 costs $5495, but it's about $2000 more out the door.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:21 PM   #26
quasigentrified OP
Cityfolk

Eh?

Quote:
For some reason a lot of nearly new (2000-3000 miles) BV250s and 350s tend to show up on Craigslist at very reasonable prices. And while I already have 3 scooters, none of them are highway legal. I have almost bought a BV a few times, then wondered why they were being sold so cheaply, I figured there had to be a problem. They are not cheap new at the local dealer, who is also a BMW dealer. A new BV350 costs $5495, but it's about $2000 more out the door.
i asked cycle barn about this, because they have two bv300s with almost NO mileage used, and couldn't move a bv350 until i bought one. the response was that the market here in seattle is REALLY conformist, and the vespa/stella/lambretta/buddy crowd gets really snotty to folks that rock a less "classic" scooter style, so folks usually trade their beverly/sportcity/honda over for a gts or gtv. also, a lot of older gents get one looking to save a buck over a burgman or a majesty, and wind up finding it's not as comfortable for cruising, which seems to take them exactly 2000 miles to discover

oh, and one of my idiot hArDc0r3 beemer biker buds said that the bv350 looked "WAY too ostentatious for a proper scooter." he said this in a completely unironic tone while perched atop his R1200RT. :-\

quasigentrified screwed with this post 04-06-2013 at 09:36 PM
Old 04-06-2013, 07:59 PM   #27
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Ive yet to see a used BV-350 on CL, but plenty of BV-200, 250, and 500's.

For the record, MSRP on a 2013 BV350 is now 5699.-- and typically add 10-14% for fees and freight for a total nearer 6400.-- bucks. I'm not sure where you are seeing $2000 add'l. but even at MSRP and a a fair PDI and freight (the dealer needs to make something) that seems a bit rich.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #28
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogordy View Post
Ive yet to see a used BV-350 on CL, but plenty of BV-200, 250, and 500's.

For the record, MSRP on a 2013 BV350 is now 5699.-- and typically add 10-14% for fees and freight for a total nearer 6400.-- bucks. I'm not sure where you are seeing $2000 add'l. but even at MSRP and a a fair PDI and freight (the dealer needs to make something) that seems a bit rich.
This is also a Vespa/BMW dealer, so they get away with that. $5499 is for a 2012 model. Sales tax alone here would be over $500, and registration another $250-$300. After about 10 years, registration drops to about $20.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:39 AM   #29
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
This is also a Vespa/BMW dealer, so they get away with that. $5499 is for a 2012 model. Sales tax alone here would be over $500, and registration another $250-$300. After about 10 years, registration drops to about $20.

5495.-- plus 500.-- tax, plus 300.-- reg ( higher than California reg? Didnt think that was possible) is 6300.--.

Are you saying the local dealer charges another roughly 1200.-- in freight and set-up? Thats excessive...and Im a proponent of the dealer. We need them.

Call Vespa Sherman Oaks in LA. He can ship one to your door for less than that. Or at least negotiate those excessive fees to a reasonable level...the actuall freight cost to the dealer is roughly 275.--. I worked for a scooter dealer for nearly 4 years....i've seen the freight invoices. Sounds like he's attempting to keystone the freight, and pad the PDI time. Shame.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #30
quasigentrified OP
Cityfolk

okay, this scoot ROCKS. now that i've really started breaking it in, i've found it to be as flickable and nimble as the sportcity 250 despite the size, and the midrange power curve is REALLY satisfying.

let me amend a few things after almost 500 miles (in two weeks)
- it no longer needs to "warm up" after ignition. i can now hit the button and go without any real accleration burps.
- i've gotten used to the engine braking. it takes a little more throttle finesse at parade speeds and stop-and-go to smooth it out, but the hitches aren't paticularly annoying now -- they're almost imperceptible.
- you can lean like a mofo with it. i was being way too nervy earlier. i shredded woodinville-redmond road (mild twisties, some rough patches) and rode hard on the ass of a ducati monster . (he coulda destroyed me, he was just riding smart)
- OH MY GOD THE STORAGE SPACE I LOVE IT
- my wife thinks it actually looks sexy <3 (she has bad taste in men AND bikes)