Old 04-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #1846
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingoff View Post
they let shooters into parks in Victoria

us parks are so far ahead of ours in management its not funny
It is not the management but the Political leadership - and we voters that are to blame for policy..

As for chemical exposure I'm afraid the states have a fair bit of that too... in Oz we a lots of birds in our cities .. you don't find so much of that in US cities .. they sprayed for bugs a lot and killed them off...
Warin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:48 PM   #1847
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warin View Post
It is not the management but the Political leadership - and we voters that are to blame for policy..

As for chemical exposure I'm afraid the states have a fair bit of that too... in Oz we a lots of birds in our cities .. you don't find so much of that in US cities .. they sprayed for bugs a lot and killed them off...
yep at heart I'm a green

but would never vote for them

very sad

cheers
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #1848
dolomoto
Destroyer of Motorcycles

Oddometer: 2,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I hosted two cyclists this week. One was a scheduled Warmshowers guest. He met up with another cyclist (a German national) and they rode together the next day.

They were riding along US 17 just south of Richmond Hill, Ga (a designated bicycle route). The two cyclists were riding single file just a few inches off the white line. A passing tractor-trailer clipped the lead cyclist...injuring him badly enough for the divided 4 lane to be shut down for several hours for the investigation and for the LifeFlight to land.

The orange marks in the foreground are where the cyclist was riding when he was hit. He was thrown approximately 75'. He lived.

The TT driver did not stop. For sure he knew he passed two cyclists...really, REALLY FUCKING CLOSE...but not a shit was given. This picture was taken the next day (a weekday) at the same time as the crash/vehicular assault of the previous day.

(sigh)

We hosted the injured cyclist after his 3 day hospital stay...he is able to recuperate with a previous WS host. The young man who was our original guest was quite shaken but continued northbound.

I'd like to hear from our cagers about what the fuck these two cyclists were doing that deserved what they got.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:31 PM   #1849
fallingoff
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolomoto View Post
I hosted two cyclists this week. One was a scheduled Warmshowers guest. He met up with another cyclist (a German national) and they rode together the next day.

They were riding along US 17 just south of Richmond Hill, Ga (a designated bicycle route). The two cyclists were riding single file just a few inches off the white line. A passing tractor-trailer clipped the lead cyclist...injuring him badly enough for the divided 4 lane to be shut down for several hours for the investigation and for the LifeFlight to land.

The orange marks in the foreground are where the cyclist was riding when he was hit. He was thrown approximately 75'. He lived.

The TT driver did not stop. For sure he knew he passed two cyclists...really, REALLY FUCKING CLOSE...but not a shit was given. This picture was taken the next day (a weekday) at the same time as the crash/vehicular assault of the previous day.

(sigh)

We hosted the injured cyclist after his 3 day hospital stay...he is able to recuperate with a previous WS host. The young man who was our original guest was quite shaken but continued northbound.

I'd like to hear from our cagers about what the fuck these two cyclists were doing that deserved what they got.

i'm very sorry

they did everything right

but for the fool in the truck

just a tap on the brake

blinker on

check his blind spot

moved into the other lane

but he couldn't stay in his own lane

and clipped the cyclist

only takes a moment to care for other road users

my best wishes on a speedy recovery

cheers
Old 04-05-2013, 09:43 PM   #1850
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,269
You want close?

This snapshot is from a guy on a recumbent site. I'll post the video below.

They were riding in FL - on the video, you can see the driver deliberately close in on the cyclist. It's hard to see but he did the same to another cyclist back a bit.

There was no traffic coming the other way - you can see that in the video.

Needless to say, it was quite easy to ID the truck, the driver and the company. The owner of the company suspended the driver and read him the riot act.

Most of y'all will never experience a truck, doing at least 65 mph, pass you this close. This rider is damn lucky that he wasn't sucked into the trailer.

Here's the video.

And the original thread.

k7 screwed with this post 04-05-2013 at 09:57 PM
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:07 PM   #1851
doxiedog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 832
I want a high wheeler,something like these.
http://www.hiwheel.com/
Any riders here?
Old 04-06-2013, 12:11 PM   #1852
Rajin Cajun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
Talking 1st Ride since I came home!

Did 11.58 miles on the Mtn bike today. The weather is unbelievable ( for South LA anyway! ) No aholes encountered but I did see a few really cute joggers!
Rajin Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:48 PM   #1853
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxiedog View Post
I want a high wheeler,something like these.
http://www.hiwheel.com/
Any riders here?
A problem with those is mounting and demounting.. try it before you buy! You'll need balance and dexterity .. lots of both.
Warin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:26 PM   #1854
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warin View Post
A problem with those is mounting and demounting.. try it before you buy! You'll need balance and dexterity .. lots of both.
ATGATT!! ATGATT!!

Good luck. I get vertigo at times, so a high wheeler is out for me.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:47 PM   #1855
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,450

Its not rocket science there folks: do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

What part about that is so tough to understand?

...or... would you pass YOUR kids like that if they were riding a bicycle? (and don't give me that BS about 'I wouldn't let my kids... Kids of any age. ...or brother, sister, or other family member)

If you wouldn't do it to your own family, why is it OK to do it to someone else's?!

I've never understood that one.

Had a lady slow down, roll down her window, and scream something that ended up with 'jackasses' at myself and my riding buddy yesterday. ...on a mile long section of straight road with nothing coming. Too bad my other buddy (that'd been dropped) didn't catch that. He's a town cop!

M
M
Old 04-06-2013, 07:02 PM   #1856
icebox
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Parks

Snowing in Yellowstone the last two days, waiting for it to warm up

no idjits, no bicycles, just nobody
Old 04-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #1857
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Quote:
... Had a lady slow down, roll down her window, and scream something that ended up with 'jackasses' at myself and my riding buddy yesterday. ...
Have been cycling today. As always, I am astounded by the fact that some car drivers were very considerate and nicely swung around me - and yet, some others did not consider me worthy of their fu#@&$ing minimal movement of their steering wheels to give me some breathing space.

I am still seething, a few hours later, at one particular asshole in a white sedan, that did a close approximation of the maneuver shown in the post quoted below.

There is a reason I'd never have a gun. Temper! I would show my displeasure right there and then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
This snapshot is from a guy on a recumbent site. ...
They were riding in FL - on the video, you can see the driver deliberately close in on the cyclist. ...

And the original thread.
I am always toying with the idea of setting up something on a bike that would record passing traffic, like in that video. Especially license plates.

In my revenge dreams, after getting off my lightweight bicycle, I am getting into my heavy-duty truck and rolling over the idiot's car in his own driveway. A bit of monster-truck action.

A good thing I am scared of the law...
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:11 PM   #1858
fallingoff
Banned

Quote:

Its not rocket science there folks: do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

What part about that is so tough to understand?

...or... would you pass YOUR kids like that if they were riding a bicycle? (and don't give me that BS about 'I wouldn't let my kids... Kids of any age. ...or brother, sister, or other family member)

If you wouldn't do it to your own family, why is it OK to do it to someone else's?!

I've never understood that one.

Had a lady slow down, roll down her window, and scream something that ended up with 'jackasses' at myself and my riding buddy yesterday. ...on a mile long section of straight road with nothing coming. Too bad my other buddy (that'd been dropped) didn't catch that. He's a town cop!

M
M
yeh I know

some fool opened his door

just a little look

but no

took my niece out on her pushie

the other day

in Berkley California

it is a very pushie educated community

heaps around

oh and it was a local

she's ok

day in hosp,

back on the bike again.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:27 AM   #1859
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolomoto View Post

:
Deserve ain't got nothin' to do with it but he got hit due to riding in the lane instead of the shoulder. It's legal to do so in my state as well and also one gets grazed if one does do.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:37 AM   #1860
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
It's legal to do so in my state as well and also one gets grazed if one does do.
Is "grazing" cyclists a prerequisite for drivers in your state? Does the steering wheel not work except only on curves?

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote