User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
Inane Cathode OP
Cheated Anion

Oddometer: 4,601
Bluhduh Leaky Damn Gas Tank: Fix?

I've got an 83 xz550 im trying to fix up to sell. It's had a history of the corners of the fuel tank rusting out and leaking. This one had been leaking before i got it and fixed with J/B Weld or some kind of patching stuff. It started weeping fuel a year after i got it, i re-fixed it with jb, worked great for 5 or so years.

Got a new bike, parked the vision, go to fix it up last year, put fuel in it and psssssss leaking fuel out two of the corners. JB Weld, stopped leaking, parked it again for a year, and go to put gas in it again after re-patching the spots (looked kinda soft, peeled off easily) and it friggen leaks like a damn garden hose.

Ordinarily, i would say just replace the tank, but the issue with this bike is they're pretty rare and theres no way you're going to find a replacement tank, if you do it will also be leaking. The tank is unique to that bike, unique petcock, unique carbs that need that petcock, unique fuel sender, etc etc.

I'm looking for a permanent fix of the rusted out corners on this stupid thing. Is it weldable? Should i just knock the rust back until its solid and j/b it again? Should i just part the damn thing out and be done with it?

Inane Cathode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:46 PM   #2
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,479
por15 tank sealer... the small can will do it. don't get it on anything that you don't want it on because it will not come off. fuel tap, tank vent, key slot, etc it will plug those up big time. stuff works good & will fill pissing holes
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:41 AM   #3
ThorRex
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Gas tank sealer

Take a look at Caswell fuel tank sealant. Used it a few times successfully.
ThorRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:44 AM   #4
GreaseMonkey
Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer: 5,242
Whatever compound you use, it needs to be poured inside as opposed to something on the outside. Put tape over the leaky seams to hold it in then remove the tape when it has set up. Also, you don't need that much as you only need to do the bottom of the tank, so a small quantity works.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:01 PM   #5
Inane Cathode OP
Cheated Anion

Oddometer: 4,601
Ah yes, por 15, thats actually what this tank /was/ sealed with. its starting to bubble up though. I'm assuming i'll need some hardcore solvent to dissolve the por 15 thats already in there? MEK? Something like that?

I've always used por-15 and it's always been worlds better than that kreem crap that turns into corn flakes in 6 months. Recently we've tried caswells and im super impressed with how it sets up. A little thick going on, but as you said i only really need to get the corners. I might just the excess pool in the corners this time instead of pouring it out.

A question on the hole size though, this thing has some HOLES in it. It's like a crochet needle sized hole in one spot, is it still kosher then to tape it and let the sealer setup? I'm also planning on using one of those rust flail things to beat the weak hole-y metal back, good idea?

Inane Cathode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:12 PM   #6
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,479
solder... it's an old method but works good to fill the holes. epoxy works too

never seen a por'd tank fail, though it seems like I have heard of another once. I've done 4 & all still good last I saw of them. the oldest is 6-7 years & I still have in my herd. it had pee holes that were plugged by por
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:45 AM   #7
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,848
Just in case it helps you access the material I use KBS coatings which are same as POR-15 product line and whats for sale near me. Product names differ slightly. Both companies have a tech line that can help you decide what to do in a step toward the sealant step. If it's failed I say it was not well prepped/cleaned. FWIW, crochet needles come in many sizes There are some "tank sealer threads here & elsewhere and lot of discussion on whats best. Flail????to clean???? Please explain.
The one theme that prevails in other threads is that Kreem is not the best way to go.
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:27 AM   #8
the_gr8t_waldo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,081
if it's just to fix it good enough to sell, why not pop rivet the hole (if needed, two washers too) and por15.?
the_gr8t_waldo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:47 AM   #9
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Talk about
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
Old 04-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #10
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Any tank "sealer" should only be seen as a temporary fix, and not a permanent repair. The only way to do the job properly is to cut out the rusted material, and TIG braze in repair sections, then fill any imperfections and repaint.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:30 PM   #11
BtoV
FNG

Oddometer: 299
google Riders of Vision, they might be albe to locate a tank for you
BtoV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:32 PM   #12
FlySniper
Bleh...

Oddometer: 1,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
solder... it's an old method but works good to fill the holes. epoxy works too

never seen a por'd tank fail, though it seems like I have heard of another once. I've done 4 & all still good last I saw of them. the oldest is 6-7 years & I still have in my herd. it had pee holes that were plugged by por

Solder x10! It's been the best tank repair I have ever done. Absolutely no worries of it ever coming loose and no need to line the tank afterwards.

Epoxy, on the other hand, has not been a reliable fix for me unless I also line the tank. After a while epoxy either begins allow the gas to seep through or just turns soft.

"Think about how stupid the average person is. Now, realise that half of them are dumber than that." - George Carlin
FlySniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:01 AM   #13
motomike14
Thumper Crusader

Oddometer: 1,686
+1 for Caswell. Used it on fiberglass and old rusty tank, great results. Por15 will rip apart if it gets any type of hole in it. Caswell is a hard coat seal and will get you about 4-5 years before doing it again.

I drink the koolaid too...just not the orange kind.
motomike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #14
chammyman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
Fibreglass is the only thing I have ever got to work.

Its lasted longer than I thought it would.
1988 Honda CB 350 SG
chammyman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:39 AM   #15
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chammyman View Post
Fibreglass is the only thing I have ever got to work.

Its lasted longer than I thought it would.
Why repair a gas tank with fiberglass if it is that type gas tank(i.e.,whole tank made from fiberglass) that has issues with modern fuels in the first place?