Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2012, 08:06 PM   #46
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by deezildennis View Post
Bummer about the seat. Will your local scooter shop take care of the seat? I have been very fortunate with my Dealer he has really taken care of me.

Your ZNEN is still a Nice looking bike as well as your BR. I am glad they are both working out for you.

And Good luck on closing on your new house!
Dealer is a fcukhead. First, the front splash panel was damaged in shipping or assembly. So he, or his mechanic, carefully pieced the pieces in place to hold tight...and I took delivery.

Didn't find the pieces were broken until the first time I washed it. Turned a hose on it and it fell apart in six jagged chunks.

He denied everything and tried to tell me I did it. I KNOW that's not true - there was mud or debris I'd been through up to that point.

I asked him to order me a new panel. Told him I'd pay for it. I'm still waiting.

Then, he did the seat.

THEN...he leaves all those bolts loose...and then tries to say that the lost bolt was missing. Goddammit, I KNOW that's a lie! And then he upbraids me with all the OTHER loose bolts on that side...gave me a snarky "You gotta keep checking them to make sure they're tight!" What a tool...he's seen his last nickel from me.

Unlike most Chinese experiments, the bike is actually not bad. The vendor...he oughtta be shot in the head.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #47
Gigglingoth
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Any updates? I've been bouncing between your posts and deezildennis's hoping for more since I put mine in layaway
Gigglingoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:42 PM   #48
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 753
Been a long, cold Wisconsin winter.

Still snow on the ground...where the grass hasn't come through, it's around twelve inches. The lake nearby is still frozen over.

And my work hours have been upped.

I did have some stupid damage done to my Znen...my fault. I had my car serviced at a specialty shop. Rather than pay for a cab, fifteen miles each way...I trailered over the Znen (October) and left it outside, then came back without the trailer.

Oh...kaayyyy...I was pressed for time when I picked it up and asked to leave the Rowdy inside his shop until I could take the time (about 90 minutes total) to come back and trailer it away. Sure...for a week or so. Wouldn't ya know, my schedule doesn't allow for me to get to his shop that week while he's open.

So I call him, tell him to just leave it outside...okay? Sure. And when I show up, two hours after closing...I discover I made a boneheaded mistake: I'd locked the steering up.

I don't know what he did to it in dragging it out; but when I got it the kick-starter was broken...the return spring. And with a typical Chinese battery, I NEEDED that starter when the engine was cold.

I pushed it up on the trailer and put it away. Haven't looked at it since. Don't know what it's gonna cost; or what else might be busted in the dumping it obviously took. No obvious scratches or bent items...
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:32 PM   #49
Horizontal
Goatin' Around

Oddometer: 272
Know this is an old thread, but now has a life of its own out here on the Internets, so when anyone doing research on the Rowdy pokes around for awhile (like me), it pops right up.

I'd really like to see some updates now that more time has passed.

One writer mentioned listing all the necessary PDI; that would sure be a blessing. My gf is seriously considering ordering one of these but reviews and opinions have been all over the place. Seems like if you don't mind doing a bit of wrenching which we don't the Rowdy could be a fun and reasonably reliable ride.

Bet I'm not the only one who'd like to hear more...

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
~ Albert Einstein

1983 Honda XL250R 1971 Yamaha DT1E 250 Enduro
Horizontal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:40 PM   #50
Gigglingoth
Adventurer

I now have over 1300 hundred on my Rowdy and still love it. I'm 4 foot 10 @ 130lbs and average 100 mpg. It's been a daily driver to and from work and a fun cruiser.. Your g/f should love it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk
Old 10-28-2013, 08:15 PM   #51
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,709
Don't mean to offend anyone, but 1300 doesn't seem like many bikes. If it were 13,000, it would mean something. I have 24,000 miles on a Japanese 125, and so far the only 2 problems have been a broken exhaust bolt, and a broken drive belt (Yamaha says to replace them every 12000 miles, mine broke after only 4000 miles) I replaced it, if it happens again, Yamaha is going to be hearing from me. How would you like to buy a new motorcycle, and have the transmission fail after 4,000 miles, stranding you?

That is my biggest issue with Chinese scooters. They may be ok for running around town, where you can usually find a way to get them home if they break down, but I have heard they are not much good for highway trips, even the larger ones.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #52
Horizontal
Goatin' Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigglingoth View Post
I now have over 1300 hundred on my Rowdy and still love it. I'm 4 foot 10 @ 130lbs and average 100 mpg. It's been a daily driver to and from work and a fun cruiser.. Your g/f should love it

That's great. I appreciate the quick reply. Where did you order yours from again? I know they have the Rowdy, the Astro & the King Kong, but they're all basically the same machine. We live in central CA and there are distributors in Sacramento and LA, so there's really nothing local where we can see it in person, which means we have to rely on a tenuous Internet dealer which may or may not be there 3 months down the line.

I understand that Znen is the better quality source.

~ Albert Einstein

Old 10-29-2013, 05:30 AM   #53
Gigglingoth
Adventurer

Same issue here

I had to order mine online as well. There is no place that was local or even a close drive to go check one out. I ordered mine and placed it in layaway thru saferwholesale.com They were really good to me and the initial pdi was done by them. I opted not to have it delivered and my hubby and I made a day of it since it was over a two hour drive one way. We actually got it in the back of our Honda Element. Fortunately I'm not a big person because I had to ride with my seat all the way up to the dash I did get to see many of the other scooters they carried while we were there and I was more pleased with my choice. It's a beautiful unique bike. Just know that this bike is HEAVY. It is the most stable scooter I have ever been on especially thru construction sites and rain. I've never had it hydroplane nor has it ever suffered tire wobble on areas of the road where the construction companies have graded the asphalt. The wind may beat me to dead but the bike just cuts right thru it. I live in northern Illinois so if you know anything about the area, it's very windy and there's always a ton of construction going on. I would love to tell you about experiences with it on the highways but in Illinois you have to have 250cc or above. I have had it at 55mph for long trips and thoroughly loved the ride and feel of it. Hope that helps
Old 10-29-2013, 09:08 AM   #54
Horizontal
Goatin' Around

Great. So now I've got one more dealer out there to consider that I don't know anything about.

Went to the saferwholesale.com website and saw the Rowdy, yet they list it as the Elite 150 Scooter, yet the photo is of an SSR Rowdy and their embedded video shows a model tagged KingKong 150, but they both look exactly the same. What the heck is going on? I guess they have different names for different markets, which I understand, so long as the quality is the same and they are all coming out of the Znen factory.

There is a used Rowdy up in the City at a little scooter shop that I happened to stumble across and my gf is going to go check out so at least she can get an idea if the scale suits her, which is so important in choosing a bike. I guess that added weight would make it more stable at speed.

So what did you do after you got it to make certain that it was road worthy? We're prepared to change all the fluids, tighten all bolts, clean and adjust the valves and carb if need be. Anything else you'd recommend doing on delivery?

BTW, I spent 10 years living in the St. Louis area so I know what the winters can be like in the northern part of the state.

~ Albert Einstein

Old 10-29-2013, 10:31 AM   #55
Gigglingoth
Adventurer

The whole picture thing confused me to but for whatever reason those are the pictures the manufacturer sent them. It is for the Znen Rowdy tho. I did Exactly what you had stated except adjusting the valves. The bike ran beautifully. I didn't adjust the valves until the 1000 mile mark.. I just took advantage of the break in period with the lower speeds to get a real feel for the bike. One thing I'm sure of...and that you have probably heard...the speedo sucks. It works then won't work and it's generally way off so invest in a gps if you already have one

Old 10-29-2013, 10:57 AM   #56
Horizontal
Goatin' Around

Yeah, heard that too about the crazy speedo.

Talked to the importer here in Cali who said they won't be getting in any more until maybe March 2014, but that they indeed come from the Znen factory. She also suggested replacing the crap OE battery with a gel-type which they sell for $50 and will give much better long-term service.

One other thing she mentioned that I hadn't considered is that it takes the bikes a month to make it over here from China (insert slow boat joke here ) giving lots of time for whatever gunk that may be in the fuel line or carb a nice chance to solidify and present performance problems down the road if the PDI doesn't catch it first.

This distributor sounds like a reputable dealer (bobcat's motorsports, whose brand name for their Rowdy 150 is BMS, not SSR or Astro), but buying in-state means forking over an additional $143 in sales tax. Just one more thing to consider.

So the hunt continues...

~ Albert Einstein

Old 10-29-2013, 02:59 PM   #57
AMAC1680
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizontal View Post
Great. So now I've got one more dealer out there to consider that I don't know anything about.

Went to the saferwholesale.com website and saw the Rowdy, yet they list it as the Elite 150 Scooter, yet the photo is of an SSR Rowdy and their embedded video shows a model tagged KingKong 150, but they both look exactly the same. What the heck is going on? I guess they have different names for different markets, which I understand, so long as the quality is the same and they are all coming out of the Znen factory.

There is a used Rowdy up in the City at a little scooter shop that I happened to stumble across and my gf is going to go check out so at least she can get an idea if the scale suits her, which is so important in choosing a bike. I guess that added weight would make it more stable at speed.

So what did you do after you got it to make certain that it was road worthy? We're prepared to change all the fluids, tighten all bolts, clean and adjust the valves and carb if need be. Anything else you'd recommend doing on delivery?

BTW, I spent 10 years living in the St. Louis area so I know what the winters can be like in the northern part of the state.
They are all the same scooter, well they are supposed to be.

It is a well know fact that Znen will build "look alike" scooters to different specs for different importers. Some upgrade belts, hoses, carbs etc and others don't.

Its a hard road to navigate and the deception is deliberate. That said I've owned a few Znen scoots and after a proper PDI weren't bad.

Best of luck.

Be big,
AMAC
SYM RV200 EVO
Lance "Cali Classic" 125
AMAC1680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:10 PM   #58
Horizontal
Goatin' Around

Thanks, AMAC ~

I figured as much.

So the latest wrinkle is the GF tracked down a Rowdy in the flesh and realized that it's too big a bike for her, so now she's considering a Ruckus or any of its Chinese clones like the Peace Transit, the Ice Bear 50cc or, get this, the Malbec 50cc.

http://www.motobuys.com/sun-mc--jm50-50cc.html

It's kind of hilarious that they're now naming scooters after wine, especially since my GF works in the wine industry. Crazy.

Anyway, for anyone else interested, this is pretty much exactly what I was looking for when I was looking into purchasing a Chinese scooter a step by step guide on everything you need to do to make your Chinese mail order scooter more safe & reliable. This PDF information can be found on the Bobcat's Motorsports website, who seem to be one of the better dealer/importers out there.

http://www.bobcatsrecreation.com/Scooter_Tune-up.pdf

Enjoy...

~ Albert Einstein

Old 10-30-2013, 03:48 PM   #59
AMAC1680
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
There's a ton of info out there and some good forums for china scoots.
If you don't mind twisting a wrench and enjoy the "hobby" the Chinese scooters can be a hell of a lot of fun on the relative cheap.

Be Big,
AMAC
SYM RV200 EVO
Lance "Cali Classic" 125
AMAC1680 is offline   Reply With Quote