Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 12:41 PM   #31
Woodsrat
Gone ridin'

Oddometer: 1,273
My experience with the Jialing (Pitster Pro) and the two Lifan semi-auto 125's I have in my bikes has been extremely positive. The Pitster Pro motors that were 1N234 were extremely difficult to find neutral on with the engine running but on the other hand they shifted pretty good.

The semi-auto Lifan 125's (N1234) are the best bang for the buck, though. Basic motors are $258 to your door and complete motor kits with carb and electrics are $299. An overhaul on a small Honda will cost that much or more and to build one up to make the same power and have a four speed gearbox will cost you a helluva lot more than that.

There may be a quality difference between the Honda and the Lifan but the only thing I've seen so far is that the connectors on the Lifan harness aren't current Honda quality, more like what you might have seen on a Mini Trail from the early '70's. If you don't like them switch over to a stator with Honda connectors and use modern Honda electrical components. I'd bet the truth be known they're made in China.

Eek!! More boring fiction--"One Last Ride in the Hoosier Revisited":
http://www.woodsrat.com
Woodsrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:15 PM   #32
deezildennis
Its a what?

Oddometer: 746
Pretty neat to see others on here with them.

Here's my 2008 American Lifan ct70 Clone. I have a Iron bore 140cc on it and it is fast as Sh!t.

On the 140 I have about 1400 on the clock all street I think I put 500 or so on it with the 110 which was actually pretty peppy. ..

Hauls My 235# but way faster than it needs to be with little bitty drum brakes.
Eats the cheap back tires up as well...I wonder why! LOL! It'll sit at 50-55 with some throttle left over.

I have a Good chain and sprockets on it as well as a whole can of red loctite and better bolts here and there. Its a runner.
deezildennis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:20 AM   #33
scottro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
Related... kinda... sorta

I wasn't sure where else to post this, but since mini ATV's come from China and use the same clone engines as the mini trail/monkey bikes and the thread needs a bump, I'm posting here.

Wildfire Motors' posted some mini quads (complete w/o engine) to Ebay for $150 each. I figured for that price why not? So I bought 3. Wildfire is only 45 min away, so I waited for some decent weather and went out to pick them up. When I got there, they gave me the "bad" news. There was a mix-up and they only held 2 for me.... however there was a 3rd available WITH MOTOR, that I could have for an additional $150, or they're refund me for one quad. So I took the one w/ the motor. Full auto btw. No shift.

The crates all fit in the bed of my old S10 !

The unboxing/assembling process is similar to the 2-wheelers, but more of it. It's a fun process. The lack of directions is offset by the fact that everything is all clean, shiny, and new. No struggling w/ rusty parts !

I filled and charged the battery while I was wrenching, changed the factory oil to Rotella and in about 2 hrs I had a running quad. The carb settings were near-perfect and required no tweaking at all. :) It took a while to inflate the tires because the valve stems were a little odd and I couldn't find a chuck that fit right away.

A big problem from the factory is the welded-in steering stops make for a horrid turning radius. It seriously took 50feet to turn a 180. This is probably to keep kids from flipping, but running into things isn't good either. So I broke out the Dremel and went to work on the steering stop tabs. Due to limited access, it took about an hour and 5-6 cut-off wheels to cut away the steering stops. Now it turns on a dime. :)

The quad is pit-bike sized. It's about the size/fit of a CT70 for an adult. The auto-tranny takes awhile to lock-up and get up to speed, but it will haul my 200lbs around quite quickly. It's a lot faster than I expected, and w/ the steering stops removed I need to hang off to keep from flipping in tight fast turns. The auto tranny doesn't let you slide the rear end as easily as a shifter quad and the tires "bite-in" making it slightly more flipworthy. The plastic body work is chintzy, but the chassis, suspension and underpinnings are simple and solid. It's a hoot to rip around the yard with. I don't think the underpinnings would withstand an adult riding in really rough terrain or taking serious jumps, but for tearing around fields, yards and trails, no problem.

I don't think I did too bad on this one for $300.

I just bought engines for the remaining two quads. I got 110cc electric start engines w/ 3 speeds and a reverse. They have auto-clutches. $239 shipped. I've got one installed, but need to do some re-configuration of the shift lever, and I need another 5-6 links of chain because the countershaft sprocket is slightly more forward than the original engine for these quads.

When it's all said and done, I'll probably have $1100 in these three quads. Not too bad considering they cost $600-$700 each from the online dealers. I may sell or trade 2 of them down the road, but for now they will be fun spring projects.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:30 PM   #34
wvboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Looks like a fun project.

I played around with my non clones, a crf 50 and a ct 70 this weekend, got them both running after a looooong down period.

Where did you pick up the motors? Eventually I'll be swapping out both motors on the mini's with 110's or 125's.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:58 PM   #35
scottro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
I got them from Wholesale Cycle out of Akron, OH. http://wholesale-cycle.com/ I bought these 2 engines and the two bikes mentioned earlier in the thread from them. Everything I've ordered has come within 2-3 days of placing the order. They sell the same things on Ebay and their website, but sometimes things are cheaper one place or the other. The engines I just bought were $267 on their website, but only $239 shipped from them on Ebay.

If you want to put an engine w/ manual clutch on either of your bikes, either Wholesale cycle's 140, or a Lifan 140 from an Ebay vendor will make the bike fly.

Otherwise, there are several vendors on Ebay selling 125 manual or auto-clutch engines pretty cheap.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #36
wvboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Thanks