Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2013, 07:27 PM   #1
lewismedlock OP

Oddometer: 13,118
Irl 2013

Is anybody else still interested in IRL?

I enjoyed the race today. Graham is racing for his dad now, Simona's car actually has an engine, Hildebrant was asleep at the wheel and took out Power, the rookie drove well, and Danica is still gone.

The drama at the end of the race had me on the edge of my chair. I really wanted to see Simona on the podium. However, her tires were used up and she gave up three positions on the last two laps.

Oh, and if you didn't watch it you probably won't believe me, but Sato didn't take anybody out.
lewismedlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:37 PM   #2
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 40,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewismedlock View Post
Is anybody else still interested in IRL?

I enjoyed the race today. Graham is racing for his dad now, Simona's car actually has an engine, Hildebrant was asleep at the wheel and took out Power, the rookie drove well, and Danica is still gone.

The drama at the end of the race had me on the edge of my chair. I really wanted to see Simona on the podium. However, her tires were used up and she gave up three positions on the last two laps.

Oh, and if you didn't watch it you probably won't believe me, but Sato didn't take anybody out.
I tuned in to catch about the last three laps. Was some good racing. Made me think I may give it one more try this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nskitts View Post
I'm sorry your dog died before you got to beat it with a dead chicken.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:09 PM   #3
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,945
that was a great race, especially the last few laps. it was too bad about simona's tires. i was surprised how well castroneves' tires held up, considering how hard he was pushing hinch.

not a fan of the penske team, but i did have a brief flash of sympathy for power. very brief. his initial lead was incredible.

marco had a great run at the end. i thought kanaan was trying to hold him off (for simona) but ran out of steam.

and minimal stupidity in turn one. that was a nice change of pace.

looking forward to barber.

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:28 AM   #4
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 76,684
I said in the other 2013 thread I started that I was a De Silvestro fan this year. Good year to be me! She was great.

Good race. For some reason, the series feels fresh this year. The hell with Andretti and everyone else who stuck a knife in Bernard's back. No cheers for Hinchliffe from me.

Looks like Chevy is still the engine to beat. Six of the first seven were bow tie cars. Hopefully Honda can find something, just for the sake of competitiveness.

For a street course, this was a pretty competitive race.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:43 AM   #5
DirtFarmer
Has anyone seen my mother

Oddometer: 2,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
She was great.

No cheers for Hinchliffe from me.
I thought she did very well when her car went away the last 3 laps. Would have been very easy to make a big mistake and she kept her cool.

No love for Hinch? The Danica wig was in the top ten of IRL moments in 2012. Speed sure does like him, on Wind Tunnel again next Sunday.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:51 AM   #6
lewismedlock OP

Quote:
I said in the other 2013 thread I started that I was a De Silvestro fan this year. Good year to be me! She was great.

Good race. For some reason, the series feels fresh this year. The hell with Andretti and everyone else who stuck a knife in Bernard's back. No cheers for Hinchliffe from me.

Looks like Chevy is still the engine to beat. Six of the first seven were bow tie cars. Hopefully Honda can find something, just for the sake of competitiveness.

For a street course, this was a pretty competitive race.
I looked for another thread before I started this one Sid. I guess that my google foo is poor.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #7
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewismedlock View Post
I looked for another thread before I started this one Sid. I guess that my google foo is poor.
No worries. With only three pages to this forum and little interest in IndyCar, my thread probably fell out the back of this forum a while ago. I'm just glad you watched and commented.

I will say that I don't watch qualifying. In F1 it's thrilling. In IndyCar, it's just baffling. Versus never even showed the whole thing, leaving you to pick it up in the middle.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 03-26-2013, 12:45 AM   #8
tinhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
I'm liking seeing the now unified series rebuild.
One step back this season, going from three engine suppliers to two, and they badly need another chassis or 2 in the mix.

The series should be kept American in focus, meaning a majority of races on ovals, from the 1.062 of Loudon to the 2.5 of Indy, and the road races should be on road courses with maybe 2 or 3 street courses a season.

See y'all at Pocono!
tinhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #9
wxwax
Excited Member

I like the ovals too, but they're a dying breed. Wheldon's wreck didn't help anyone feel better about open wheel on a banked track. Personally, I really dislike street courses. That's why Sunday's race was a pleasant surprise. There was tension to the end (it helps than I'm a Simona man this season. )

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 03-26-2013, 06:47 PM   #10
car94
What's this Box for?

Oddometer: 3,424
Thumbs down The car is ugly, at least the nascar dummies learned that lesson!

I really liked how they parked the winner across the lines in an old parking lot! Classy
Old 03-26-2013, 06:54 PM   #11
pbarmy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,818
I still love the Indy 500.I attended my first in 1968,been in love ever since.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:10 PM   #12
tinhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Quote:
I like the ovals too, but they're a dying breed. Wheldon's wreck didn't help anyone feel better about open wheel on a banked track. Personally, I really dislike street courses. That's why Sunday's race was a pleasant surprise. There was tension to the end (it helps than I'm a Simona man this season. )
Agreed on the heavily banked ovals. There's still a few that aren't high banked, places like Loudon, Indy, Pocono, bring back the Milwaukee Mile, there must be a few others in the mile and a half range around the country.
tinhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:48 PM   #13
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinhead View Post
Agreed on the heavily banked ovals. There's still a few that aren't high banked, places like Loudon, Indy, Pocono, bring back the Milwaukee Mile, there must be a few others in the mile and a half range around the country.
Good point.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 03-27-2013, 11:54 AM   #14
lewismedlock OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarmy View Post
I still love the Indy 500.I attended my first in 1968,been in love ever since.
I have a vivid memory of the 500 from back when I was young. We were in our back yard playing catch with dad, Their was a ranch behind our house, and there was a palamino and a bay horse in the pasture. Dad's old grey radio was sitting on the fernce, and it was playing the 500.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:37 AM   #15
wxwax
Excited Member

Not a great track for Simona. Hate seeing Andretti do well. Grrr.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan