Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2013, 07:29 AM   #46
Brooktown Geezer
scooter guy

Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by vortexau View Post
Some people don't let engine size stand in their way . . . . but, as stated, one should be practical as to just how much to attach:

That setup is awesome!
Brooktown Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:26 AM   #47
DRcruiser
Tourin and Scootin

Oddometer: 51
I saw this thread and read it all with interst. I wound up totaling my Victory Vision last year and have nerve damage in my left foot and leg. I now can not raise my toes to shift anymore. I also have trouble raising my legs to get over a standard motorcycle seat. I have been thinking of a mega-scooter. I have owned many bikes in the past and currently own a Piaggio MP3 250cc for around town. I can ride the Piaggio even with my foot/leg problem. My brother and I would do at least 1 long ride per year plus some nice all day rides. I am really going to look into these as a possible ride!

DRcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:45 AM   #48
DRcruiser
Tourin and Scootin

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooktown geezer View Post
that setup is awesome!

+1
DRcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:58 AM   #49
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,635
Wonder if anyone's tried THIS with a Burgman? More mass so the floats would need to be larger (more buoyancy), but maybe one could get up to higher speeds?

YouTube- Amphibious Scooter

Old 04-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #50
kballowe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
We're near St. Louis.
Two years ago, we were out wandering around Montana... and ran into a fella on a 650 Burgman, with a Florida license plate. He was visiting some relatives.

Two weeks later, we see that same fella at a local gas station (Washington, Missouri) .... he's wanting some directions and is on his way back to Florida.

74 year old man. He said that he was having the time of his life.

kballowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #51
miboso
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by kballowe View Post
We're near St. Louis.
Two years ago, we were out wandering around Montana... and ran into a fella on a 650 Burgman, with a Florida license plate. He was visiting some relatives.

Two weeks later, we see that same fella at a local gas station (Washington, Missouri) .... he's wanting some directions and is on his way back to Florida.

74 year old man. He said that he was having the time of his life.

That's funny, 2 years ago this June I was in Montana, on a 650 Burgman, with California plates Later that summer, I went to Florida. "It's a small world...."
Old 04-07-2013, 07:40 PM   #52
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 754
My two weeks out of the salt mines, last September...I was down in the Four Corners area of Colorado.

There's only one downside on a Burgman 650 - unless, of course, you want to posture. The young girls won't be impressed; but you'll still be feeling good hours into the day. The other is: Fuel economy is nowhere near what I'd expect. High forties...it's okay...but I'd hoped to do better. That is about average for a 650.

The tupperware does do a reasonable job of keeping a driving rain out - just a makeshift rain suit kept me completely dry. There is the capacity for a lot of gear; and handling doesn't suffer - except at slow-slow speeds, and maybe parking. Sidestand makes you worry; centerstand too much to lift up on.

1999 BMW R1100RT - backsliding on the Scooter Life.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:40 AM   #53
DandM
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
My two weeks out of the salt mines, last September...I was down in the Four Corners area of Colorado.

There's only one downside on a Burgman 650 - unless, of course, you want to posture. The young girls won't be impressed; but you'll still be feeling good hours into the day. The other is: Fuel economy is nowhere near what I'd expect. High forties...it's okay...but I'd hoped to do better. That is about average for a 650.

The tupperware does do a reasonable job of keeping a driving rain out - just a makeshift rain suit kept me completely dry. There is the capacity for a lot of gear; and handling doesn't suffer - except at slow-slow speeds, and maybe parking. Sidestand makes you worry; centerstand too much to lift up on.
I'm averaging 52 +/- mpg following the instructions from a long time 650 Burgman owner: at 55 mph or above manually shift into 6th; at less than 55 just leave it in auto.
DandM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #54
knucklehead90
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post

When I was young the girls all wanted a ride and I happily obliged. I rode a bike for several reasons and they were one of them. Now? Not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandM View Post
I'm averaging 52 +/- mpg following the instructions from a long time 650 Burgman owner: at 55 mph or above manually shift into 6th; at less than 55 just leave it in auto.
I've been riding mine in a similar manner for a while now and find the mileage gets better when you use the manual shift. I shift about the same as you are doing. Mileage has gone up from 45-47 to 48-50. I can get over 50 whenever I can find ethanol-free gas. One station near me has started advertising ethanol-free gas in their mid-grade. They don't have premium.

For anyone that dislikes their 650's compression braking they can put the transmission in manual and let the electronics shift into first as they come to a stop. It'll do this automatically but doesn't shift as aggressively as it does in auto or performance modes. It takes about 60% of the compression braking away. For me I like the compression braking - and it saves on brake pads. I 'feather' the brake a bit when there is traffic behind me so the brake lights come on - this warns them that I am stopping. Assuming they are actually paying attention isn't an option for me. I always stop the bike so I'll shoot past the car in front of me should I get 'punted' from behind. It may look a bit odd to be lined up to the left of the car in front of me but I'll take my chances vs getting crushed between two cars thank you. There's my safety tip for the day. Ride safe!

Cages:
1971 Karmann Ghia
2013 VW Jetta TDi Premium
knucklehead90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:06 AM   #55
jhonny ro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
my burgman 650 points

plus's
-what it tries to be, its a great idea.
-it mostly does what it should.
-it has a great forum.
-they are pretty cheap if you go used. My 2005 cost me $4,000 with 800 miles in 2012.

Minus's
-fuel limited range
-not a big cockpit. 5'10 is about the max size person who can really fit. I am 6 feet and just ordered a Corbin Tall seat for $500.
-suspension really is pretty bad. figure say 500-1500 depending on if you do it yourself and what you buy
-windshield not really functional. Figure $3 to $300 to fix. I am happy with my $3 cure.

So the downers are readily fixed except for range. It needs more tank. All this is detailed out in fine detail on burgman USA

The real question for me, is my almost sorted Burgman as good as my well sorted Wee-Strom? Happy to keep trying to figure that out. Ultimately, the Strom is better for more active riding, the Burgman for when you just want to twist and go and or haul groceries.
jhonny ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:27 AM   #56
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhonny ro View Post
plus's
-what it tries to be, its a great idea.
-it mostly does what it should.
-it has a great forum.
-they are pretty cheap if you go used. My 2005 cost me $4,000 with 800 miles in 2012.

Minus's
-fuel limited range
-not a big cockpit. 5'10 is about the max size person who can really fit. I am 6 feet and just ordered a Corbin Tall seat for $500.
-suspension really is pretty bad. figure say 500-1500 depending on if you do it yourself and what you buy
-windshield not really functional. Figure $3 to $300 to fix. I am happy with my $3 cure.

So the downers are readily fixed except for range. It needs more tank. All this is detailed out in fine detail on burgman USA

The real question for me, is my almost sorted Burgman as good as my well sorted Wee-Strom? Happy to keep trying to figure that out. Ultimately, the Strom is better for more active riding, the Burgman for when you just want to twist and go and or haul groceries.
You gain about an inch in legroom if you go with the Isuzu headrest-backrest that one member sells over at BurgmanUSA.

When I bought my 650, it was a tight fit. The previous owner was bigger and older; and he had a Utopia backrest. It felt...okay...on the test ride; and I knew from my trips through all the cycles I've bought and sold that nothing except the BMW was going to fit a long-legged SOB like myself. So I bought; and the more I sat, the more I disliked.

And then I tried that headrest-backrest. PERFECT-O! Only problem is, there's a big gash in my seat where the Utopia hardware bolted to the saddle base. But...I can live with that...

1999 BMW R1100RT - backsliding on the Scooter Life.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:18 PM   #57
soc714
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I use my Burgman 650 for 2 up or interstste touring. In manual ode on the transmission 6th gear is an overdrive. At 5500 rpm in 6th I am running 95 mph. In auto mode 5500 is 85 mph and it will run that all day long. I may not get to the 1/4 mile as fast as most of the big touring bikes but I,ll stay right with them on the interstate. And after a 1000 miles in 1 day its just like sitting in my lounge chair.
soc714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #58
gec343
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 811
I am age 71, and anticipate going with a new Burgman Executive or Honda Silver Wing within two years, maybe less. I love my present Gold Wing, but am longing for something smaller, but still capable of touring.

Yesterday, while getting a new tire on my Wing, I spoke with the Honda shop owner. He attended a dealer meeting a couple of months ago, and said that the Honda Reps had insinuated that a new 700cc Silver Wing replacement would debut in February. If so, then I'm hoping it is as good as the Burgman, or even better. My preferance would be Honda, since they have a better dealer netwok than Suzuki, plus I'm troubled by Suzuki's present problems in the U.S.

When you ask Burgman 650 owners (former GL1800 riders) what they miss about the Wing, most say "reverse". I rarely use reverse, maybe 3 times in the years I've owned the Wing.

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
1977 R100/7 (bought new)
gec343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:38 PM   #59
GREY.HOUND
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Hopefully it will be the Integra, but the updated silverwing wouldn't be bad either.

http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/scooters/#!/integra/
Old 08-22-2013, 04:58 PM   #60
blackcat54
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
In my book, if it has a chain drive, it's not a scooter.
blackcat54 is offline   Reply With Quote