Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 07:11 AM   #271
gore-tx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJim View Post
Hey GoreTx - the windshields we put on are Givi. They make two sizes, these are the smaller of the two. They are available in clear or smoke, we got the smoked. It makes a significant difference in the wind flow - very little on the torso, now. A little more noise with our half helmets, over 45 mph.

Regarding your post about the fuel mileage. The worst I have gotten is 98 mpg, and that was with some 60+ mph driving on that tank. Otherwise, I have been getting 100 mpg (+/-) very consistently. My wife weighs a pound or 50 less than I do, and she has gotten 113 mpg as a high, 102 mpg as a low. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if the fuel tank wasn't full when you picked up the bike. Be sure to put the bike on the center stand when filling... that last couple tenths of a gallon can be "splashy." (technical term ). Weight and throttle twisting do make a difference with what we've seen for mpg.

TechFrog: good find (and welcome aboard)! Sounds like the seller must have scared themselves with the scoot. Right place, right time. Good luck with selling the 125... or maybe your girlfriend would enjoy her own scooter? My wife won't let me have a girlfriend (go figure?), but we sure enjoy riding together, each on our own scooter. Mine is red, hers is black... I gave her first choice. I told her the black ones are faster. (I wanted the red one. )

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
Thanks Captain Jim!

As far as the gas mileage, I'll have to see what the next tank will be. Last weekend for me to ride though... My wife is taking the MSF class as we speak and I know she wants to go riding.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:33 PM   #272
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by gore-tx View Post
Thanks Captain Jim!

As far as the gas mileage, I'll have to see what the next tank will be. Last weekend for me to ride though... My wife is taking the MSF class as we speak and I know she wants to go riding.
I taught my wife to ride before she was my wife. I knew it was true love, 'cause it was on my Triumph Bonneville.

While I do particularly enjoy the feel of her snuggling in close when she's behind me, riding together on separate bikes is a whole 'nother kinda fun. We've ridden side-by-side a lot more miles than 2-up.

This won't be your last weekend to ride... it will just become a different experience as you ride together... each on your own bike.

Have fun. Give her plenty of encouragement. Don't blast away from her. A life-long riding partner is a very special thing! Especially, a life-long riding partner with benefits.

Congrats to you both. Enjoy!

Captain Jim
Old 04-06-2013, 07:06 PM   #273
gore-tx
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I taught my wife to ride before she was my wife. I knew it was true love, 'cause it was on my Triumph Bonneville.

While I do particularly enjoy the feel of her snuggling in close when she's behind me, riding together on separate bikes is a whole 'nother kinda fun. We've ridden side-by-side a lot more miles than 2-up.

This won't be your last weekend to ride... it will just become a different experience as you ride together... each on your own bike.

Have fun. Give her plenty of encouragement. Don't blast away from her. A life-long riding partner is a very special thing! Especially, a life-long riding partner with benefits.

Congrats to you both. Enjoy!

Captain Jim
I agree 100% with everything you said. I have enjoyed having her as a passenger but I am looking forward to having her ride her own bike. We practiced riding all week this week and I hope what she learned from me benefited her at the MSF course.

I want to pull a "Captain Jim" and get a second PCX for me. When my little CBR sells... I think the PCX is really all I need at this point. Ok, that or a SH150 my local dealer has.

I have been reading your blog and I really enjoy it.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #274
TechFrog
Professional Amature

Oddometer: 11
Comparing 150 to 125...

Quote:
Welcome to the 150 family!

So how would you compare the 125 to the 150? Is there a noticeable power difference?
Well, it's an interesting comparison. It would be wishful thinking to say the 150 blows the 125 away. Yes, it has a couple more horsepower, but also a few more pounds. 6 or 9 right? Anyway, the acceleration is very close. I can't honestly say the 150 feels that much stronger, but the limiter sure kicks in later. On the 125, I can hover between 59 and 60 and that's it. On the 150, the limiter seems to hit at an indicated 67 or 68. I don't know how some claim 70, 71 or 72. I know there is more advanced technology in the 150, but anyone looking for a deal that does not need the extra 8 or so mph would be perfectly fine with the 125. I know I shouldn't, but I take my PCX125 on short hops on the freeway all the time. I stay in the slow lane and never have a problem. Being able to sustain 65 is a real plus though.

So, I'm new to the forums and trying to figure all this out. My "signature" is not displaying. All my other motorcycles/scooters for instance. Must be doing something wrong. I'll play with my settings. Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Jim in LA. (Also have 08 YamahaFJR1300, 07 Suzuki DL650, and Piaggio BV350) Cheers all
TechFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:03 PM   #275
CaptnJim
Scootist

Another day, another fuel-up: I got exactly 100 mpg. The Blonde logged in at 107 mpg.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #276
gore-tx
Beastly Adventurer

I only got to clock in 25 miles today. I can take the scooter to work for a couple more days but I won't be close to filling up yet.

My wife passed her MSF class today so my days on the PCX are counted.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:18 AM   #277
gore-tx
Beastly Adventurer

I rode to work this morning and I think the scooter is happiest between 50 and 55mph.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:53 AM   #278
gore-tx
Beastly Adventurer

I got better gas mileage this time around though it still is inaccurate. I got 87mpg but I splashed some gas. It filled up really fast and overflowed. I gased up at 104 miles on the odometer and it looks like I could still go some because the gas gauge wasn't even flashing.

The wife and I went on our first ride together a couple of days ago. She had a blast and is ready for some more. She definitely can keep up with my little CBR. We will be going for a ride this weekend around the hill country.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:51 AM   #279
CaptnJim
Scootist

Quote:
I got better gas mileage this time around though it still is inaccurate. I got 87mpg but I splashed some gas. It filled up really fast and overflowed. I gased up at 104 miles on the odometer and it looks like I could still go some because the gas gauge wasn't even flashing.

The wife and I went on our first ride together a couple of days ago. She had a blast and is ready for some more. She definitely can keep up with my little CBR. We will be going for a ride this weekend around the hill country.
Hi GoreTX,

Hope the weekend weather is better than what we drove though yesterday, going through San Antonio... twice! That front dropped the temp almost 30... and rain. But, the V-Strom is gone, so it's just the pair of PCXes for us now.

Glad to hear the PCX is a match for the CBR. You two have fun this weekend... stop for a nice lunch out. Make her first few rides memorable.

Best wishes,
Jim
Old 04-11-2013, 11:05 AM   #280
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 508
i just took my wife's for a spin. i may or may not have giggled girlishly when i (mildly) broadslided it back into the garage.
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:42 PM   #281
gore-tx
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Hi GoreTX,

Hope the weekend weather is better than what we drove though yesterday, going through San Antonio... twice! That front dropped the temp almost 30... and rain. But, the V-Strom is gone, so it's just the pair of PCXes for us now.

Glad to hear the PCX is a match for the CBR. You two have fun this weekend... stop for a nice lunch out. Make her first few rides memorable.

Best wishes,
Jim
The weather rebounded already today and this weekend is set to be pretty good with lows in the mid fifties and highs in the low 80s. Perfect riding weather! Did you say BBQ for lunch? Well that sounds pretty good to me!

Still trying to sell the CBR so I can get a PCX or an SH or even may be a Vespa for myself. I'm still trying to decide.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #282
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,009
I don't know how everybody is getting such great gas mileage. I get 70 mpg on both the Vino 125 and the Zuma 125. The Vino has been that way for 25,000 miles. It has a one gallon tank, and sputters to a stop at right around 70 miles every time. I almost always carry an extra gallon of gas with me. I'm guessing it has something to do with my weight, and the fact that I always ride at full throttle. Even in town I take off with full throttle to keep up with traffic around me, then back off when I reach the speed of other traffic.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:32 PM   #283
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I don't know how everybody is getting such great gas mileage. I get 70 mpg on both the Vino 125 and the Zuma 125. The Vino has been that way for 25,000 miles. It has a one gallon tank, and sputters to a stop at right around 70 miles every time. I almost always carry an extra gallon of gas with me. I'm guessing it has something to do with my weight, and the fact that I always ride at full throttle. Even in town I take off with full throttle to keep up with traffic around me, then back off when I reach the speed of other traffic.
I only get 75MPG on my Super 8 150. I think that Honda just did a great job when they designed the PCX motor and it is much more efficient than your Vino, Zuma, my Kymco or just about any other scooter out there. I can't think of anything else that goes 70 MPH and gets 100 MPG.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #284
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 508
the new for 2014 piaggio fly 150 supposedly gets an absurd 130-140 mpg.
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:01 PM   #285
CaptnJim
Scootist

I figured that "100 miles per gallon" that Honda talks about was just that: talk. It is pretty rare that I get the EPA numbers on any other vehicle. The lowest I've gotten with the PCX 150 was 98 miles per gallon, and we were running the bikes pretty good on that tank. My wife still did better than 100 mpg on that fuel up.

I don't know how they do it, but I like it.