User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 10:15 AM   #1
Paulvt1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,474
Ducati Scrambler.

Read an interesting article in this weeks MCN (UK) that Ducati have re-registered the patent for the "Scrambler" moniker - not just for bikes, but accessories and apparel.
Now this could just be patent protection - but i would be interested to see if this does indicate a new line of bikes.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #2
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,890
I wonder how that/would that infringe on Triumphs Scrambler, and if they patented the name for their use,
I say screw Ducati.

A 90 degree v twin is not a good application for a 'scrambler' imo...
Its uses up too much space.

Yawn
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:00 PM   #3
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post
Read an interesting article in this weeks MCN (UK) that Ducati have re-registered the patent for the "Scrambler" moniker - not just for bikes, but accessories and apparel.
Now this could just be patent protection - but i would be interested to see if this does indicate a new line of bikes.
Its copyright and trademark not patent.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #4
deWog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
A similar report has been written up in AMCN; the thinking is that, with the current AUdi group's financial clout, this might actually be the time Ducati will unveil a new single-cylinder unit, rather than do its ususal trick of sourcing an L-twin off it's big shelf......the emerging Asian market, and the demand for lower-price and spec entry-level bikes would suggest the thumper engine will be likely.

Expect to see something at EICMA in November....
deWog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:04 AM   #5
mercury01
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
I have to admit a love for "things Ducati". Back in the early '70's (Gawwd! that's old), i was spending a lot of my time on Commando's. A good buddy of mine had a late '60's Ducati 250 single. I loved it! A bit of a bitch to start, with a kick like a mule when you didn't kick it through properly, but what a hoot to ride.

More recently, I have just come off a 6-year love affair with a 2006 Multistrada - arguably the best bike I have ever had.

I would love to see Ducati announce a single ... what about a 500cc? Great bones for a cafe racer!
mercury01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:39 AM   #6
Flightar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Not to mention with a new single they could make the following models:

a new Imola Desmo Paul Smart Edition! I know the originals were L-Twins, but a counterbalanced 650cc Desmo single, with skyhook, riding modes, radial brakes, and DTC, while weighing in at 380-400 pounds and making 65 Bhp...for an MSRP of say $11,500.00 would be the shiznet.

or a new Sebring to take on the BMW G650GS

or and a new Scrambler to take on the G650GS Sertao

or a new Mark I Super Sport to take on the Ninja, CBR 250/300/500's

or maybe even a new 500cc entry level Monster
Flightar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:06 PM   #7
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
I think "scramblers" could be the next big trend in motorcycling.

The "adventure wave" is still going pretty strong but most of the new bikes are getting too big, too road-oriented and too expensive for most people.

Building scramblers makes perfect sense for the manufacturer - take your ordinary slow selling run-of-the-mill bike. Give it flat bars, a bash plate, a round headlight, maybe raise the supension 3 inches and put some TKC80's on. Now launch the ad campaign with a Steve McQueen look alike and so forth.

Every trend sensitive suburban hipster, every must be cool commuter and all the old farts who remember steve McQueen is going to want one. Might even sell one or two to us since it might be a decent bike.
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:57 AM   #8
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 3,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightar View Post
Not to mention with a new single they could make the following models:

a new Imola Desmo Paul Smart Edition! I know the originals were L-Twins, but a counterbalanced 650cc Desmo single, with skyhook, riding modes, radial brakes, and DTC, while weighing in at 380-400 pounds and making 65 Bhp...for an MSRP of say $11,500.00 would be the shiznet.
you mean like the Hyperstrada?

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #9
CanadaBiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue&Yellow View Post

The "adventure wave" is still going pretty strong but most of the new bikes are getting too big, too road-oriented and too expensive for most people.

Building scramblers makes perfect sense for the manufacturer - take your ordinary slow selling run-of-the-mill bike. Give it flat bars, a bash plate, a round headlight, maybe raise the supension 3 inches and put some TKC80's on. Now launch the ad campaign with a Steve McQueen look alike and so forth.

Every trend sensitive suburban hipster, every must be cool commuter and all the old farts who remember steve McQueen is going to want one. Might even sell one or two to us since it might be a decent bike.
I would buy that bike in a heart beat. I returned to motorcycling after many years--family and such, and was very unimpressed with most modern bikes. I just wanted an easy peasy UJM type thing. I suppose the Bonnie and Scrambler comes the closest, but damn, there should be an amazing japanese or Italian something. My background is motocross and flat track racing, so a scrambler would feel right. I almost bought a hypermotard, but my driver's license wouldn't forgive me. I had an F650 twin for a few months, but there was something missing, and I hated the dirty air off the front end. I tried both a touring screen and the short one, and it still sucked. And really the bike was soulless and boring. I had an old CB550 for a while, lots of fun, 4 into 4 exhaust, but dealing with 4 carbs and a hinkey cam chain sucked. This is 2013, and a modern, easy, reliable bike should by available by the boatload. I'm getting an old R100/7 all sorted out, so maybe it will be a nice all around back roads tourer, but I still want a modern variant that doesn't look like a spaceship. Seriously! Is that such a difficult request? A 650 single scrambler from ducati that isn't all plastic would be very cool. Something torquey and fun, not insane fast like a Hyper S. I'm now looking at a few used Xcountrys, thinking that's really the closest thing to what Blue & Yellow described. But in a way 'meh'. I love beating around on my airhead, but generally I feel nothing for BMW as a brand.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:24 PM   #10
Scaredofthedirt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue&Yellow View Post

Honda put together a street scrambler concept bike based around the NX650 (?) engine in the late 90s. Sweet looking little bike that would have been a hoot on the urban commute/slow country cruises.

Here's hoping we see more of the street scramblers and peppy small capacity bikes (eg KTM Duke 390).
Scaredofthedirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:14 PM   #11
xaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
Got to see a 2013 Guzzi V7 up close last week. Sure wish they'd make a scrambler version of that one.

Canadabiker, have you looked into the Husky Terra/Strada?
xaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:09 AM   #12
Goat_locker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaman View Post
Got to see a 2013 Guzzi V7 up close last week. Sure wish they'd make a scrambler version of that one.

Canadabiker, have you looked into the Husky Terra/Strada?
I remember seeing the V7 Scrambler version a year ago or so and it was awesome! Probably photoshop, but it looked like the real deal, and it was was on my short list to buy. Never happened.

I'd buy a Duc Scrambler in a heartbeat. Hell, if they'd put some off-road worthy wheels on the hyper-retard, I'd buy one of those.

However, my '06 Triiumph Scram is, and always will be, my favorite bike.
Goat_locker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #13
xaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat_locker View Post
I remember seeing the V7 Scrambler version a year ago or so and it was awesome! Probably photoshop, but it looked like the real deal, and it was was on my short list to buy. Never happened.

I'd buy a Duc Scrambler in a heartbeat. Hell, if they'd put some off-road worthy wheels on the hyper-retard, I'd buy one of those.

However, my '06 Triiumph Scram is, and always will be, my favorite bike.

I'm partial to mine too, also an 06. Good taste
xaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:07 PM   #14
Graniteone
3,2,1...Beer me!

Oddometer: 402
I just love the idea of a Ducati Scrambler. A 600cc Scramblerized Monster sounds interesting. Keep it clean and simple and I am in. No low pipes.
Graniteone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:42 PM   #15
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by deWog View Post
A similar report has been written up in AMCN; the thinking is that, with the current AUdi group's financial clout, this might actually be the time Ducati will unveil a new single-cylinder unit, rather than do its ususal trick of sourcing an L-twin off it's big shelf......the emerging Asian market, and the demand for lower-price and spec entry-level bikes would suggest the thumper engine will be likely.

Expect to see something at EICMA in November....
Now that KTMs are made in India, they are the top-selling European bike brand worldwide.
As Ducati's owner, Audi has been building its cars outside of Europe for years: South Africa and China come immediately to mind, so I'd hazard an out-of-Italy Ducati (weren't they built in Spain for a spell?) is a dead-set certainty.
And as the first market you need to conquor is the home market, a small-capacity high-volume Ducati is an almost equally sure-thing.
Local licensing laws may dictate the engine capacities of future models - and once you've got a viable engine, economies of scale would suggest that the motor would appear in as many market-segment models as possible: Street, Sport, Nekkid - and "Scrambler".
With increasingly clever engine managment, the same basic hardware can have very different power characteristics, depending upon application.
In this case, the future for small-bore new entrants in a variety of guises looks bright, IMHO.