Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 04:22 AM   #17026
luni
A51 Tour Guide

Oddometer: 1,008
I'm 5' 11" with a 32" inseam. I describe myself as extra medium. Due to the cut outs on the side of the windscreen the handlebars have easily 2 inches of clearance at full lock. They might hit if the screen was adjusted all the way down and wall the way back, but that would be a terrible idea unless you like the idea of making a giant ramp shooting wind directly in your face.

As far as the cut out goes if you're referring to the one in the middle of the windscreen Cal Sci says it's to prevent suction on the backside of the windscreen. It sits behind my GPS and I felt for noticeable airflow coming off it and it felt like a vent, nothing substantial.

My only issue with the Cal Sci/Madstad set up is the Madstad bracket. It allows me to attach to much shit without enough structural support. But there's a simple solution for that.
luni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:53 AM   #17027
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaumev View Post
Hey Tim, are you training for your next trip to Spain?? Afer my trip to Morocco I'm fit
I think that after your Morocco "Training Session" you will be out of my league (having said that and judging from some of your photos and videos I think that you were our of my league well before that!). However, if you would like to do some riding on what you might call "Tourance Trails" like these, I'm in!

I will contact you with some dates
Old 04-10-2013, 12:56 AM   #17028
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,347
Oh, and NO sand thank you
Old 04-10-2013, 12:13 PM   #17029
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Oh, and NO sand thank you
Don't worry, I had enough sand for long...

Tese tracks are perfect to me (I'm getting older...)
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #17030
frontiercat
all out of charm

Oddometer: 743
Tires

Okay, I have searched, mulled over, meditated and had major brainstorm meetings in my mind about the tires I'm going to put on my Tenere.

I was really leaning towards the K60's...until I really had a great weekend of some of Oklahoma's finest curvy roads on the Battlewings...and realized how much I love running fast with it. But I also want to ride gravel, dirt, some mud and some sand...I'm still about 80/20 though.

Now the Anakee 3's are out...

I have read every thread on the web concerning the K60's and the Anakee 2's and 3's (not much on the 3's really out there obviously). It seems the K60's have a great following (I honestly don't care about how many miles the tires will get), I want to have a decent off road tire that won't let go on the pavement when wiping out the edges of the tires; there is a bit of contradiction concerning wet road handling with the K60's, too.

Now I'm asking for guidance here...crazy I know
frontiercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #17031
Dubl-A
MADE IN BURQUE

Oddometer: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by frontiercat View Post
Okay, I have searched, mulled over, meditated and had major brainstorm meetings in my mind about the tires I'm going to put on my Tenere.

I was really leaning towards the K60's...until I really had a great weekend of some of Oklahoma's finest curvy roads on the Battlewings...and realized how much I love running fast with it. But I also want to ride gravel, dirt, some mud and some sand...I'm still about 80/20 though.

I have read every thread on the web concerning the K60's and the Anakee 2's and 3's (not much on the 3's really out there obviously). It seems the K60's have a great following (I honestly don't care about how many miles the tires will get), I want to have a decent off road tire that won't let go on the pavement when wiping out the edges of the tires; there is a bit of contradiction concerning wet road handling with the K60's, too.

Try a FullBore M40/41 combo (Rated at above 120MPH+) if they fit your bike. Works extremely well on my 800XC 150/70-17
Old 04-11-2013, 11:46 AM   #17032
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
Try a FullBore M40/41 combo (Rated at above 120MPH+) if they fit your bike. Works extremely well on my 800XC 150/70-17

Interesting... this thread discusses:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=768068

Made in Korea.
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:27 PM   #17033
gmsnowball
Black Bear Pass

Oddometer: 872
Cool2 Tires

Quote:

Several of my friends have tried the Shinkos and they like them. I had K 60's put on last week for the Hillbilly Dual Sport in Arkansas and put over 400 miles of dirt and pavement on them. They handled well enough for me on the pig trail and the many twisty roads of Arkansas and Missouri. A little of the chicken strips are still there but I don't push my S10 like I would a crotch rocket. The K 60's on my Wee Strom kept me upright and no one had to wait on me. The K 60's make their money in the dirt, they do much better than than the Shinkos, ask my friends. They have ordered K 60's.

12 Super Tenere
gmsnowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:35 PM   #17034
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayfarmer View Post
Graham.....P.M. sent

Brian
2 P.M.s Sent Brian.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:42 PM   #17035
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,663
Quote:

I was on the fence about the K60s and decided the only way to really know would be to try them myself. Have had them on for a couple weeks now and done some touring that included very aggressive twisty riding and at times wet roads. No issues with grip at all despite the fact that the K60s will get the traction control light flashing far easier than the Battlewing. In the rain I dial down the pace appropriately but would do that for any tire as it's just common sense.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:15 PM   #17036
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,889
I was completely torn on which tires to put on my Tenere a year ago, and now I've put 10k miles on my K60's, and I'm STILL torn about what tire to put on it.

I don't love the K60's, but they are a great compromise tire. At $340 a set though, I'm having a real hard time buying them again.

Dry pavement, they stick just fine. I ran them hard down in the smokey mountains without issue, and I regularly drag pegs here around town. They're not the most confident inspiring, but they work none the less.

They have a little wobble around 4 mph, and a vibration around 25 mph; neither major enough to cause issue/discomfort.

In the wet they blow. Wet tar strips are slicker than ice, and wet pavement I can easily spin up my back tire through all 6 gears (including, cruising at 70 mph, 6th gear, crack the throttle, and the back tire effortlessly breaks loose). Can be a fricken blast... can be terrifying. Damp pavement isn't nearly as bad, but wet (as in, riding in the rain) is about terrible.

Off road they do very well.

Mileage they do very well.

I've got a cheap rear tire on order to hold me over till the front is worn out too, but then I honestly don't know what I'm going to get. I'm seriously contemplating trying the Mitas E-07 Dakars. I've heard great things, and even if they don't last quite as long (should be very close), if the traction and confidence is better through their life, it'd be worth it. Shipping is expensive from Canada, but they still cost a bit less than K60's in the end.
The K60's are too expensive for a tire I don't love.
The New Metzler Karoo 3's look sweet... but all signs point to crappy mileage and high prices.
Shinko 705's are a killer value, but I don't want to deal with tire changes every 3 months, and I'd like a little more off-roady-ness.
The Full Bore M-40/M-41 have me very intrigued! The thread about them seems to pass them off as Shinko copies, but different rubber in the same mold can still make them act like completely different tires. I'd buy them in a heartbeat if they act like the Shinko's (good compromise on and off-road) yet pulled a bit more mileage (ok, like double, 8k miles would be sweet). Still not very off-roady.

Damn compromises.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #17037
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
Shinko 705's are a killer value, but I don't want to deal with tire changes every 3 months, and I'd like a little more off-roady-ness.
The Full Bore M-40/M-41 have me very intrigued! The thread about them seems to pass them off as Shinko copies, but different rubber in the same mold can still make them act like completely different tires. I'd buy them in a heartbeat if they act like the Shinko's (good compromise on and off-road) yet pulled a bit more mileage (ok, like double, 8k miles would be sweet). Still not very off-roady.

Damn compromises.
I am currently running a front 705 that has 8.5K on it and shows little wear so far. Has worked fine for the typical Texas dirt roads I ride, and I have no complaints on blacktop. I just replaced the Battlewing rear with an M40. I am interested to see how long M40 lasts. It was cheap enough if it doesn't last long and I am normally pretty easy on tires.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:01 PM   #17038
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,171
Quote:

TCK80s are amazingly grippy as you are not concerned about cost/mileage. 3000 miles is the norm for a rear.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:18 PM   #17039
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 4,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post
TCK80s are amazingly grippy as you are not concerned about cost/mileage. 3000 miles is the norm for a rear.
The fronts match up really well with an Anakee 2 rear. Been running that combo for about 4000 miles so far and probably have another 1000-2000 left.
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:05 PM   #17040
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 941
All signs point to crappy mileage for the Karoo 3?

Didn't think they were available yet.

High prices is probably accurate though.