Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 08:11 AM   #1
dickensheets OP
smprparatus

Oddometer: 255
Super Tenere clutch bleed question

Morning gents,

I want to bleed and freshen my clutch fluid.

I'm familiar with brake bleeding and have done it several times. This is my first hyd clutch, bike has 20,000 miles. System works fine, just want to freshen up the fluid.

Now it seems to me the clutch springs will "push back" when I crack the bleeder and suck air. Is this true?

Is there a different technique for this as with disc brakes or is it the same procedure?

Ryan
dickensheets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:20 AM   #2
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,715
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickensheets View Post
Morning gents,
I'm familiar with brake bleeding and have done it several times. This is my first hyd clutch, bike has 20,000 miles. System works fine, just want to freshen up the fluid.
Now it seems to me the clutch springs will "push back" when I crack the bleeder and suck air. Is this true?
Is there a different technique for this as with disc brakes or is it the same procedure?
Ryan
Pretty much the same. The clutch springs are the pressure that will be pushing the fluid out of the bleed, they won't cause it to draw air in.

When I drained my hyd clutch to replace the piston, I tried bleeding from the top down and could not get it to rid itself of all the air. I finally had to use a syringe and fill the systems from the bottom -> up and then it was a piece of cake. I got my syringe at a Tractor Supply/vet supply house, for horse injections.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:38 AM   #3
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickensheets View Post
Morning gents,

Ryan
Ryan,

I just bled mine like normal brakes. If you are swapping the fluid, it should be easy. You could probably just open the bleeder and let the fluid flow down while keeping the reservoir full.

Be careful if you do the pump, hold, open bleeder method. The reservoir only holds a tad more than 2 cycles worth of fluid. You need to add fluid often.

ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #4
dickensheets OP
smprparatus

Oddometer: 255
Thanks guys.

Ryan
dickensheets is online now   Reply With Quote