Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:38 PM   #797
Wandering Dane
We are the luckiest guys

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
Nice posting and nice bike.

On the front fender extender: I and most people use the outdoor rated 2 sided tape. It is very tough and is known to last literally forever. Anyway, epoxy works, if you select the right one, but they all aren't created equally.

The rear fender extender is interesting. However, I can see why it's not on US (EU?) market bikes. That's because it doesn't have the side reflectors, which are DOT mandated. That requirement is only for bikes sold and AFAIK is not an owner mandate, but could be in some states.

As to the chain lube, at the risk of sounding snarky, which I'm not trying to be, but you should use a modern chain lube that does not fling off everywhere. The proper chain lubes are rather tidy and have minimal waste. For me, I like to apply it, let it soak/dry and then blow it with my air compressor in one hand and a rag in the other. I rarely lube them on the road, but that's me.
Thanks for your kind words, Kawidad,

I do not like the double-sided tape approach for the front fender extender because the tape acts as a spacer, preventing a tight, good fit. Different strokes - I have used the epoxy approach on a number of bikes with no ill effects. Also, in my experience, the double-sided tape that Pyramid Plastics uses is not very sticky and I don't trust it.

The OEM rear side reflectors can easily be re-used, I just don't care for the looks of them and left them off. The reflectors are mounted on a single bracket which bolts onto the lower center bolt, below the license plate. A bit of bending is required but the bracket and the reflectors will fit like designed for it, and probably were.

Chain lube: I use the DuPont teflon lube, apply it to the chain when hot, wipe the chain with brake cleaner and I still get splatter all over the rear of the bike. Not bad but definitely bothersome to me.

Wandering Dane screwed with this post 04-09-2013 at 08:09 PM
Wandering Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:56 AM   #798
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,582
Fog Light Bulbs

Anyone replace the bulbs in the OEM Triumph Fog Lights? It's an H3 bulb, but the replacements I got have a wider spade connector than the OEM Osram bulb (which seems odd, because even 'aftermarket' Osram bulbs seem to still have the wider connector). How did you go about connecting them?

If the wider blade is the 'standard', I'd just as soon cut the 'mini' one off the housing side wire and replace it with a normal size female spade connector, but that wire in there is pretty short, and it has an odd (to me) 'cloth' sheath rather than the typical plastic, so I'm not sure I'll be able to strip it and get a new connector attached very neatly. I can also make up a mini to standard blade 'adapter', but it seems kind of tight in that housing. Or, I have some Posi-Locks - should I just cut both ends off and PosiLock the wires together (keeping in mind my comment above about stripping the housing-side wire).

What say you?
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:59 AM   #799
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
Anyone replace the bulbs in the OEM Triumph Fog Lights? It's an H3 bulb, but the replacements I got have a wider spade connector than the OEM Osram bulb (which seems odd, because even 'aftermarket' Osram bulbs seem to still have the wider connector). How did you go about connecting them?

If the wider blade is the 'standard', I'd just as soon cut the 'mini' one off the housing side wire and replace it with a normal size female spade connector, but that wire in there is pretty short, and it has an odd (to me) 'cloth' sheath rather than the typical plastic, so I'm not sure I'll be able to strip it and get a new connector attached very neatly. I can also make up a mini to standard blade 'adapter', but it seems kind of tight in that housing. Or, I have some Posi-Locks - should I just cut both ends off and PosiLock the wires together (keeping in mind my comment above about stripping the housing-side wire).

What say you?
I'd take a tool to the spade connector for the new bulb, and work it down to match the dimensions of the original bulb's spade connector.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:56 AM   #800
RED05
Are we there yet?

Oddometer: 134
New Shift Lever Modification!

If you find yourself shifting lots and don't like to put your foot on the foot peg this is the shift lever for you.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #801
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,314
Quote:
Anyone familiar with a company called Weiser? I just came across these LED turn signal inserts. Looks like a simple install at a decent price:
http://www.weiserstore.com/triumph/t...m1003-tri.html
I installed them on my bike. Love them. Not necessary, but I like the orange free look.

To see the world, things dangerous to come to, to see behind walls, draw closer, to find each other, and to feel. That is the purpose of life.
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #802
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
I installed them on my bike. Love them. Not necessary, but I like the orange free look.
Cool. I ordered a set to try out via Amazon Monday morning after reading an old review of someone that tried them on a BMW. The order was to be fullfilled by Weiser directly, but the status still says "Shipping Soon". I just have to decide if I want to install them before getting the new turn stalks that my bike has a TSB on or maybe just hand them over to the dealer to swap out at while they're doing that.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #803
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,314
Quote:
Cool. I ordered a set to try out via Amazon Monday morning after reading an old review of someone that tried them on a BMW. The order was to be fullfilled by Weiser directly, but the status still says "Shipping Soon". I just have to decide if I want to install them before getting the new turn stalks that my bike has a TSB on or maybe just hand them over to the dealer to swap out at while they're doing that.
It was easy and fun to do on my own. I like easy mods like this..

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #804
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Doesn't look complicated, it's just the dealer will most likely have to take them apart to replace the stalks anyway...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-11-2013, 07:06 PM   #805
kennedy762
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29

Testing out the caribou top loading panniers! They kick ass...
Old 04-11-2013, 09:41 PM   #806
pilot3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Quote:

What say you?
The cloth insulation is only cloth like. It is a high temp covering and there to be more resistant to the constant high temps that build inside the light housing.

I swapped to PIAA bulbs and swapped the factory plug ends. No problem.
pilot3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:09 AM   #807
Poweranger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennedy762 View Post

Testing out the caribou top loading panniers! They kick ass...
What racks are they mounted on? And more pictures from all angles please.
Poweranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:30 AM   #808
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for the reply, but can you elaborate a bit on how you swapped the factory ends? I'm assuming you mean the housing side? Is the sheathing difficult to strip? My main concern is that I clip that end off and then can't crimp a new one on properly.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-12-2013, 05:52 AM   #809
ducatirdr
Re-entry Noob

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED05 View Post
If you find yourself shifting lots and don't like to put your foot on the foot peg this is the shift lever for you.
Do you find yourself taking more and more chances on the XC looking for its and your limits and then it gets messy or did this surprise you? The reason I ask is I find myself on that path lately.
2000 Ducati 996S - No reason
ducatirdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:08 AM   #810
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 1,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
Do you find yourself taking more and more chances on the XC looking for its and your limits and then it gets messy or did this surprise you? The reason I ask is I find myself on that path lately.
For real, I'm not the only one? I thought I would burn off the stock rubber but my desire to push me and the bike have changed that plan.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is online now   Reply With Quote