Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 04:40 PM   #1021
TheWall
0 miles and counting

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent_boot42 View Post
In that light... what about this for a faster method around the 180o cone:
pop a big endo/noseWheelie/stoppie as you approach the cone... shift hips so the back end swings around .... drop rear end so you end up facing the other direction and off you go.
You would lose time in braking and you would need to be DAMN GOOD at stoppies but it is possible, no? I know the first response will be for me to try it and time myself ... I will, next weekend (on my trials bike).
When you try it, make sure to post a video of it here We'd love to see how it goes!

Slightly off-topic: I'd love to try my hand with a trials bike! That looks like soooo much fun!
TheWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:09 PM   #1022
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Quote:
what about this for a faster method around the 180o cone:
pop a big endo/noseWheelie/stoppie as you approach the cone... shift hips so the back end swings around .... drop rear end so you end up facing the other direction and off you go.
You would lose a bit of time in braking but that should be made up in not having to actually do any turning. You would also need to be DAMN GOOD at stoppies but it is possible, no?
I know the first response will be for me to try it and time myself ... I will, next weekend (on my trials bike).
I second TheWall's comment. Definitely film the attempts!!!

I took out DRZ today for a bit of practice! Not much to report. Rusty skills and dusty from the winter. Didn't time anything, didn't film, just want to get back in the groove. Goal for this season is a 30 seconds or under GP8, and finally some racing with my friend, as well as a few people I was contacted through this forum and outside. Should be a great summer!
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:21 PM   #1023
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

borrowed from "drill team" thread in this forum.

Pretty amazing, and very relevant.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:49 PM   #1024
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

This guy is gooooooood...

Old 04-02-2013, 11:20 PM   #1025
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 858
Heh. I wondered how long it would take for the Trials / Gymkhana comparison to be made. I've got a Fantic lined up, just need to secure the pingas. Gymkhana with mud, rocks, trees & 4 psi in the tires. 3d Gymkhana!

Any hoo. After zero riding for eons, maybe longer, we set off for a run & a bit of conery to get back in the groove on Monday. Arriving at the "track" Jas mentioned a metallic clicking noise on the DT. Uh oh... The clip from the chain split link was AWOL. Luckily a mate lives round the corner so we rode the bike to his shed, the link plate was hanging on by a gnats eyelash when we got there.
Silver lining, though. I scored 2 new chains for the price of one from the original owner. The existing clipless one is just about poked. Back on the road tomorrow. Yee Ha!

Watch this space but curb your enthusiasm. It's not that exciting.
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #1026
Motogymkhanaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Welcome Bent_boot42, ErikDK and Sckill. I admire your fortuitude in reading through all the posts in this thread!

To answer a couple of questions. No the stoppie followed by swinging the tail around to change direction is not a faster way of doing it. It's great fun, but it's not fast.

Moto Gymkhana on a trials bike is fantastic fun. We waive the rule that riders should remain seated due to the fact they haven't got a seat!

The weather is just about turning from snow and ice to wind and rain, so it's time to get the bike out and start rotating like crazy. Our first event of the year is coming up in a couple of weeks time and we have riders coming over from The Netherlands to have a go and show us how it's done, so we are really looking forward to that.

Can't wait to see the photos and videos that you will be producing of your efforts as they really do inspire other riders to have a go.

Big welcome also to another riding group that has just started up in Cebu in the Philippines, expect to see some video from them fairly soon.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:35 PM   #1027
Motogymkhanaman
Gnarly Adventurer

This is what they are getting up to in Viet Nam. The weapon of choice over there is what they call an 'Underbone', or scooter to the rest of us. This rider is a bit good considering he has only got 135cc to play with.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:41 PM   #1028
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

First course set-up of the season. Me and my friend.
He is on KTM, I'm on my trusty Triumph.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:35 PM   #1029
Motogymkhanaman
Gnarly Adventurer

At last after a long, hard, cold winter the new season is under way in the UK. Our season opener is a Moto Gymkhana demonstration at the Prescott Bike Festival where we grab the lunctime break to show the gathered crowds what the sport is all about.

Here is some video of the riders getting to grips with the very narrow course that we set up on the hill-climb track.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:38 AM   #1030
liquid_ice
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
The dutch team is doing its last preparations in the south of england. See you saturday.
liquid_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #1031
Bent_boot42
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWall View Post
When you try it, make sure to post a video of it here We'd love to see how it goes!
Slightly off-topic: I'd love to try my hand with a trials bike! That looks like soooo much fun!
Sorry guys, I did try and film the attempts but the footage (from the smart phone I had to film with) ended up looking super crappy and was too far away. I will try and get a buddy to film me next time.... not that I should really bother as obviously MotoGman was correct and I took WAY longer around the GP8 when trying to use the stoppie/endo method.

RE: TheWall's off-topic trials query..... Get on a trials bike ASAP... it is the most fun I have ever had on a bike (better than sport bike/enduro/supermoto/dual sport). I would really recommend finding the nearest trials club and going to watch one of the events .... someone will lend you there bike to try out if you ask... trials riders are a notoriously friendly bunch.
Bent_boot42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:10 PM   #1032
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

RE: TheWall's off-topic trials query..... Get on a trials bike ASAP... it is the most fun I have ever had on a bike (better than sport bike/enduro/supermoto/dual sport). I would really recommend finding the nearest trials club and going to watch one of the events .... someone will lend you there bike to try out if you ask... trials riders are a notoriously friendly bunch.
I'm in total agreement. Gymkhana is deceptive in how hard you have to work, looks easy but.. Trials is a different league but equally approachable. I'm planning on having a few sections on the new property & after a squat on the Fantic a few days ago Jas is onside. Perfect size for a lady of her stature. She wants to learn how to wheelie... heh heh heh.
Massive bang for your buck & very little time in A & E.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:27 PM   #1033
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

What constitutes a "trial" bike? Is it built specifically as a trial bike from a ground up, or is it a conversion, like SuperMoto is a conversion of a dirt bike?
Old 04-12-2013, 05:05 PM   #1034
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulfy View Post
What constitutes a "trial" bike? Is it built specifically as a trial bike from a ground up, or is it a conversion, like SuperMoto is a conversion of a dirt bike?
This is a trials bike... My aspirations aren't quite as, er, high.

Meanwhile in Japan. Git over!

Oh, somebody asked if Toni bou is the best of the best & an inmate replied "No. He's better than that."

Harvey Krumpet screwed with this post 04-12-2013 at 05:12 PM
Old 04-12-2013, 07:21 PM   #1035
Vulfy OP
Studly Adventurer

Is that a kid at 1:18 mark, or somebody on a pocket bike? Thats awesome!