User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 08:40 AM   #1
wbbnm OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,973
Anybody ridden the Alamo rd in the Desert National Wildlife Refuge recently?

(I originally posted this in the West Regional thread but did not get any relevant replies. So I would try a different audience.)

Has anybody ridden this road in the past year or so or know anybody who has?

We would really like to include the Alamo road in a big trip out to Nevada and back in May.

A few guys from Las Vegas tried to ride it a year or so ago and said in their RR that it looked seriously closed so they didn't take it. They posted a picture of a closure sign that looked pretty grim.

We rode it many years ago and there was a closed sign then, but it was one of these beat-up/shot-up signs. We ignored it and had no problems.

If I get desperate, I will give the DNWR admin office a call. I really hate to do that though. Asking government employees for permission to do something is nearly always a loser.
wbbnm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:24 AM   #2
bilmunson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Laugh DMWR "wilderness" map

I looked at the "wilderness" map, not the same as in your post. http://www.fws.gov/desertcomplex/des...wilderness.htm
It appears that alamo road and some others are bounded in white while the wilderness areas are a shade of green. From experience in CA and AZ Wildlife refuge travel, this usually means that those roads are usable byways thru the wilderness. There may be seasonal closures for big horn breeeding, so I'd check with the authority. The website was last updated in Dec 2012. Tell tham you want to camp on one of the side roads along Alamo like Deadhorse and see what they say. They'll assume your in a jeep or SUV and not a dirty nasty biker dude.
bilmunson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:41 PM   #3
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,281
How about referencing my Nevada SMTS file. I didn't ride it all (used otheres tracks for some roads in this areea) but it could have date tages in track file.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:45 AM   #4
wbbnm OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
How about referencing my Nevada SMTS file. I didn't ride it all (used otheres tracks for some roads in this areea) but it could have date tages in track file.
I got the tracks from your library a couple of years ago when I first started planning this trip and appreciate them. Thanks for maintaining that library.

The track time tags said ~2005 as best I remember. The guys from Las Vegas ran into the nasty sign a year or so ago.

But I will check your library again to see if there is anything more recent.

Edit: Well I reloaded your library and checked that track. It is still the one from May 2005.
If I don't get some better information in a couple of days, I will go ahead and call them.

I am also considering going ahead and doing the Mormon Well road over from 93 and, if things look too forbidding trying to turn north, just turning around. It would still be a great ride. We did it in a heavy snowfall a couple of years ago and didn't get to see much.

wbbnm screwed with this post 04-06-2013 at 09:15 AM
Old 04-09-2013, 04:52 PM   #5
wbbnm OP
Beastly Adventurer

After doing some searching on the web I found that the road was reopened last August. So we will be doing it on our trip in mid-May.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:49 AM   #6
wbbnm OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
After doing some searching on the web I found that the road was reopened last August. So we will be doing it on our trip in mid-May.
Turns out I was wrong about the Alamo rd. The news release I found actually said the Mormon Wells road was now open. Turns out it had been closed for a while by a bad rain storm.

I have gotten a few PMs from a local who says people regularly use the Alamo rd.

And then I got a reply to my thread in ADV\West from guy who got a ticket riding the Alamo rd.

So I guess the road is legally closed. Next is to decide what to do about it.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:22 PM   #7
elgato gordo
KTMRFS

Oddometer: 510
bummer I just made my rezy at the windmill ridge motel. seems a bunch of those nasty dirtbike guys got all the rooms at the alamo inn.
elgato gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:31 AM   #8
wbbnm OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgato gordo View Post
bummer I just made my rezy at the windmill ridge motel. seems a bunch of those nasty dirtbike guys got all the rooms at the alamo inn.
I worked out a new route from Mesquite to Alamo that includes a loop into the northern part of the DNWR. So keep the res.