User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2012, 08:57 AM   #1
ZZZWFO OP
ZZZWFO

Oddometer: 15
990 surging

I installed a pair of Remus CF cans on my 09 990 and had the local dealer re-map with the map they had on file for aftermarket exhaust. It ran great for 1000+ miles then it started having severe surging at steady state low throttle riding. The surging is very severe, causing the bike to nose dive which is dangerously unsettling during tight cornering. I took it to the local dealer and they adjusted the TPS and re-aclimated the ECU (15 min idle) but did not remap it. It ran fine for a few minutes but the problem returns. It runs better after I re-do the 15 min acclimation, but the problem re-develops. The harder I push the bike the worse it gets. As long as I am accelerating or opening the throttle it performs great. The only problem is during low to mid throttle situations where I am trying to maintain speed as in corner entering . The problem can occur from 3000-7000 rpm. I have spent hours reading threads and I am not confident that I have a solution to my issue. So I am posting a couple questions and hoping someone can give me some guidance:
  • Should I have the dealer re-load the aftermarket exhaust map?
  • Should I have them load the Akra map?
  • Where do I purchase the Akra map?
  • Is there a different map I should purchase and if so how do I purchase it?
  • Is there potentially something else wrong?
I am happy to pay somene for parts and/or labor to fix the problem. However, I cannot afford hours of labor that does not fix the problem. I do not have the knowledge or equipment to perform any ECU reprograming myself. I realize there are a lot of posts on this site about similar issues, so pointing me somewhere might be all I need. Any help will be appreciated, even a phone call.
Don 785-431-6500

ZZZWFO screwed with this post 08-19-2012 at 08:59 AM Reason: addtition
ZZZWFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:50 PM   #2
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 9,228
Possibly clogged fuel filters in the tanks.

Try adding some Seafoam to some fresh fuel to clear up the screens before you remove them for replacement.

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:41 PM   #3
Patron77
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
This prob isnt it, but my bike was surging (tho not as bad as you described yours is) and it was a chain that had seen its day. Tight links. New chain = like glass. Worth a look I guess
Patron77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:07 AM   #4
Killer Whale KTM
Life is the adventure!

Oddometer: 712
Don,
I had similar or worse problems with my 07.
The problem stems from your fueling system using both closed and open loop to "tell" the injectors when and how much to squirt.
The only solution for me was to have it Dyno tuned for $250.oo
But now I'm done, after a LONG ordeal and it runs great !
Good Luck,
Killer Whale KTM
Old 08-20-2012, 07:49 AM   #5
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZWFO View Post
I installed a pair of Remus CF cans on my 09 990 and had the local dealer re-map with the map they had on file for aftermarket exhaust. It ran great for 1000+ miles then it started having severe surging at steady state low throttle riding. The surging is very severe, causing the bike to nose dive which is dangerously unsettling during tight cornering. I took it to the local dealer and they adjusted the TPS and re-aclimated the ECU (15 min idle) but did not remap it. It ran fine for a few minutes but the problem returns. It runs better after I re-do the 15 min acclimation, but the problem re-develops. The harder I push the bike the worse it gets. As long as I am accelerating or opening the throttle it performs great. The only problem is during low to mid throttle situations where I am trying to maintain speed as in corner entering . The problem can occur from 3000-7000 rpm. I have spent hours reading threads and I am not confident that I have a solution to my issue. So I am posting a couple questions and hoping someone can give me some guidance:
  • Should I have the dealer re-load the aftermarket exhaust map?
  • Should I have them load the Akra map?
  • Where do I purchase the Akra map?
  • Is there a different map I should purchase and if so how do I purchase it?
  • Is there potentially something else wrong?
I am happy to pay somene for parts and/or labor to fix the problem. However, I cannot afford hours of labor that does not fix the problem. I do not have the knowledge or equipment to perform any ECU reprograming myself. I realize there are a lot of posts on this site about similar issues, so pointing me somewhere might be all I need. Any help will be appreciated, even a phone call.
Don 785-431-6500
AFIK, the only alternate map for your bike is the Akra map. It turns off the O2 sensors, so the bike runs from fixed maps rather than in loopback mode. Some people have reported problems similar to yours when using the Akra map. If the Rhemus cans have DB reducers and spark arrestors, then they likely have similar back pressure as the stock cans and the stock maps should be used. Your dealer should know this. The TuneECU site has all of the various maps for down loading and installation with TuneECU.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:35 PM   #6
ZZZWFO OP
ZZZWFO

Surging Continues

• I put a new RK black scale chain and Stealth sprockets (16/42) a short time ago.
  • Tried the seafoam and it has not worked yet <50 miles since added
  • I have been running the Remus carbon fiber cans in the "race only" uncorked condition
  • I will check out the Tune ECU site closer but despite confidence in my wrenching capabilities I don't know squat about EFI (electronically and computer challenged)
  • I wish I was closer to GA because I am willing to pay a pro $250 to permanently tune this bike.
  • I payed that to the mechanic at Letko in KC, MO a few years ago to jet my 950
  • I will call Letko if I cannot find a closer place to take the beast (250 boring miles of I70)
  • The local shop in St. Louis is Moto Europa and has a skilled mechanic but no dyno
  • Anybody closer to St. Louis with the skills?
  • Thanks for all the help so far
Old 08-21-2012, 04:03 AM   #7
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 969
Just a stab in the dark...

...but it sounds a little like the the TPS is not functioning correctly or has moved since adjustment, or another sensor is not in it's correct range or has an intermittent problem. Was the throttle cable adjustment checked by the dealer. I would think this was a part of the TPS work. I would take it back to the local dealer again, if they are good. Their diagnostics machine should tell them a lot (except perhaps the intermittent faults).
There are only two maps the dealer has, standard and Akra (though the 2 R maps will also load, the only differences are in the top end, and shouldn't change your issue)I think the only cost should be the labor. I was quoted $80
You say you have read lots of threads but the (loooong) TuneEcu thread will give you some background on this issue. It sounds like you are not up for doing the wrench work on this...though playing with TuneEcu will only cost you about $30 for a cable, if you have a Windows computer. Just hooking up will show you a wealth of info about what is going on, and allow you to load different maps (there are some aftermarket ones now too, all free)
Maybe abbreviate your question and ask it again on the TuneEcu thread. There are guys on there much more expert than me.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:30 AM   #8
ZZZWFO OP
ZZZWFO

990 Surging solved

I am updating this for the benefit of others with a similar problem. Since the problem was intermittent, I thought it was fixed a couple of times, but it kept reoccurring. I am now confident it is fixed. One of the Throttle Position Sensors (TPS) was indeed the source of the problem.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:34 AM   #9
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Cool...

I wish everyone would revisit their threads to provide some closure...great info for the rest of us. Thanks.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:55 AM   #10
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
Also - don't use the akra map. My mileage pretty much doubled after I switched back to the stock map. Fueling on/off isn't great but I've learned to live with it, now I don't even think about it.
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:37 AM   #11
pulpo2011
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
990 Surging

So my friend, the answer its there:

1.- Change your clogged fuel filter
2.- Adjust your trottle cable
3.- Sync TPS (0.60 volts)
3.- use standard map, O2 on.
4.- 15 min. trick

Hope this helps
pulpo2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:10 AM   #12
jas123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Had a similar issue with the superduke. Turns out the cap on the sparkplug was loose. Thought it was a fuel problem cause it would seem to cut out more during hard acceleration. Not saying this the answer, but its a simple check. I did stump me for awhile though.

jas123 screwed with this post 04-09-2013 at 08:17 AM
jas123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:46 PM   #13
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpo2011 View Post
So my friend, the answer its there:

1.- Change your clogged fuel filter
2.- Adjust your trottle cable
3.- Sync TPS (0.60 volts)
3.- use standard map, O2 on.
4.- 15 min. trick

Hope this helps
I think the OP solved his issue already, but those are good suggestions too...