User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 10:56 AM   #16
Capt. REDBEARD OP
TWECO

Oddometer: 1,102
let's do it to it

parts man here - get em' while they're hot!

12mm allen - and the rear shock is out

swing arm needs a little persuasion

even despite the never seize. vashonz (OP) was a man after my heart in some ways. I, working in the marine field, have a particularly soft spot for copper never seize. Of all the wacky shit people do to fuck up a perfectly good motorcycle - applying too much anti-seize is ok in my book.

found this knocking around in the swing arm

not a great picture - but if you look at the bolt, there is a coating on it that is coming off and sticking to the races. I think it is scorched grease - but not sure if the OEM bolt had a special finish on them?

either way a little steel wool and some grease had it fitting w/o sticking in no time.

front brakes come off. both are dirty and look like they could use new brake pads. I am going with Galfers green in the front and black in the rear. I have run this on a few other bikes and I like the feel of them

also one of the caliper's threads are buggered up - so I need to chase them out before reassembly.

front forks and front wheel dismounted.

I have been kicking around the idea of a more complete fork service - but for now I am just going to do seals and fluid. If the bike makes it through this season I am going to have SPS hook me up with the "S" spec goods this winter.

so here she sits..........

I was surprised that these were the only tools that I have used to take it down this far. This is my field kit for my 250 with the addition of the dowel and the calipers.

unfortunately it is going to be a few weeks until I can do more work. I have a wedding out of town this weekend and then work is sending me to Philadelphia and then New Orleans on two consecutive trips. So I am going to take this opportunity to order up the few parts that I need, get a battery, and of course purchase more beer.

if the ocean were whiskey and I were a duck - I'd swim to the bottom and never come up
Capt. REDBEARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #17
Scott Baja
el semental negro

Oddometer: 232
This a great up! Please continue upon your return.
Scott Baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:40 PM   #18
alcontrast
at least I'm trying

Oddometer: 1,549
Narragansett Porter; essential part of the field kit!

this pics reminds me a lot of cold evenings in the garage working on your Dakar..

This rebuild will go easier with the 950 since you are not redesigning things, just checking and re-installing things.. It can still take longer than you could possibly imagine though! It's always a little surprising to me how much easier it is to take things apart than it is to put them back together!

Perhaps I'll head over there some day after work if the weather warms up a little and starts to finally act like Spring..

When in doubt, gas it. It will either fix the problem, or at the very least end the suspense.

07 650GS / 05 DRZ400S / 72 CB350 (that hasn't run since shortly after I bought it)
alcontrast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #19
KBach
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. REDBEARD View Post

unfortunately it is going to be a few weeks until I can do more work.
Perfect....three weeks is just about enough time to forget where certain length bolts and such went!!
Looking good, can't wait to see it start going back together.
KBach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:59 AM   #20
RhodeHazard
ex halligan hooligan

Oddometer: 655
Is it weird for you to not be field-stripping your motorcycle on a trail?

Though it looks like you have your work cut out for you, your project should pay off nicely. One up side is that you will be so familiar with the bike that your oil changes should go 10% faster.... Think about what you could do with that extra 40 minutes every few months...

My shop is in an 1800's barn as well. Here are a few tips:

Dirt floor: I have worked in dirt and it sucks. A your earliest convenience I would recommend throwing a heavy canvas tarp or plywood down under your work space. This will keep those tiny bits from burrowing there way back to Austria and lessen the dust.

Lighting: If you don't have a headlamp, go get one and use it.

Critters: You probably have mice or other furry citizens in there. They will nest in the most inconvenient places and eat anything that has cotton in it. If you don't have a skilled barn cat grab a few boxes of mothballs and pop the balls around the shop.

Godspeed, my red friend.
RhodeHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:32 AM   #21
Capt. REDBEARD OP
TWECO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodeHazard View Post
Is it weird for you to not be field-stripping your motorcycle on a trail?

funny guy.....
I figured the dirt floor, lack of tools and working mostly by natural light should make me feel right at home. it is just like my field maintenance program with all my other bikes - only there is cold beer available. well actually if you ride with AKARob on those certain days he is know to keep a couple of cold cruisers in his "field kit"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodeHazard View Post
Though it looks like you have your work cut out for you, your project should pay off nicely. One up side is that you will be so familiar with the bike that your oil changes should go 10% faster.... Think about what you could do with that extra 40 minutes every few months...

My shop is in an 1800's barn as well. Here are a few tips:

Dirt floor: I have worked in dirt and it sucks. A your earliest convenience I would recommend throwing a heavy canvas tarp or plywood down under your work space. This will keep those tiny bits from burrowing there way back to Austria and lessen the dust.

Lighting: If you don't have a headlamp, go get one and use it.

Critters: You probably have mice or other furry citizens in there. They will nest in the most inconvenient places and eat anything that has cotton in it. If you don't have a skilled barn cat grab a few boxes of mothballs and pop the balls around the shop.

Godspeed, my red friend.
thanks for the advice.
I already put down some plywood with old carpet over it. the carpet is a trick I used at my last shop (see video).
I use a craftsman shop light w/magnet and hook to position where i need it.
I plan on getting a cat - but wanted to introduce him to the barn in the spring/summer so he can get used to it before the bitter winter cold.

my question is when are you going to get that 400 ripping?
interested in selling it? I am on the look out for a RFS with a wide ratio transmission...........

if the ocean were whiskey and I were a duck - I'd swim to the bottom and never come up
Old 03-26-2013, 09:38 AM   #22
Capt. REDBEARD OP
TWECO

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcontrast View Post
Narragansett Porter; essential part of the field kit!

this pics reminds me a lot of cold evenings in the garage working on your Dakar

Perhaps I'll head over there some day after work if the weather warms up a little and starts to finally act like Spring..
I was getting Dakar flash-backs. I swore never again - and we all know how that usually works out for me.......

I might need you to help me get this thing back together - you are my in-house fabrications guru and pitcrew boss. If you make it out I promise plenty of vegetarian delights and maybe even some cranberry moonshine......

I will also get you that list of BMW parts that I have. I will try to get those over to you tonight - but I leave for NOLA at 4am tomorrow - so no promises.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:22 PM   #23
Nutmeggah
Pilot

Oddometer: 151
Twecko! You are always one for a challenge! Holy smokes that is a going to be a ripper!

John

"Cut me Mick . . . so I can See!" Rocky Balboa....
Nutmeggah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:56 PM   #24
amanlikemike
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. REDBEARD View Post
unfortunately it is going to be a few weeks until I can do more work. I have a wedding out of town this weekend and then work is sending me to Philadelphia and then New Orleans on two consecutive trips. So I am going to take this opportunity to order up the few parts that I need, get a battery, and of course purchase more beer.
Look me up when you get to NOLA, Captain. We have lots of beer and at least one farkled 990 down here.

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:59 AM   #25
kamanya
Andrew to most

Oddometer: 1,285
Ok, I'll play....

1 - plug for swingarm hole.
2 - routing holders for wiring that goes to the rear electrics. They mount under the right rear panels onto the supporting plastic tray.
3 - The chain bump restrictor and bush. A bitch to get to when the bike is together as the rear exhaust gets in the way. Look on the inside of the frame above and to the rear of the sprocket for the mounting hole.
4 - Header gaskets, they are re-usable.
5 & 9 - Pipes - carb breather pipes. Connect to the carb and routes through the bottom of the airbox.
6 - spanner, adjust fork preload.
7 - T piece for fuel line that attached to the carbs.
8 - Throttle position sensor. Read up about this in the HOW on how to set the voltage. Contributes to smoother running bike. Mounts to side of carbs and sits inside the airbox.
10 - Washers and bolts for the front upper shrouds above the fuel tanks. Not pleasant having to buy new ones from KTM... expensive.
11 - Radiator clamps. One of them might be the clamp for the breather pipe that connects to the top of the airbox.
12 -Might be a centre or side stand bolt?

The pipe is an overflow pipe for the airbox and runs from the bottom of the airbox down next to the clutch slave.

The clamps are the carb boot clamps, big one on the bottom smaller on the top.

The big washer might be for the inside of the grommets for the rear of the fuel tanks.

The vacumm tubes from beneath the carb manifold should be plugged not joined.

The clamps for the radiators are missing - see above.

The clamps for the oil tank is not right - should be over the spiggot.

The radiator temperature sensor is not plugged in?

There is something not right with the rear brake electric line cable - it shouldn't loop down.

Get some rags in the intake ports!

Those carb heater cables have been a source of irritation for some and have been the cause of battery leakage issues.

That's the low octane fuel plug. It should have a wire out either side, someone has snapped the wire off the bottom end.

That's all I got so far. Keep firing photo's of what you're doing.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:31 PM   #26
Capt. REDBEARD OP
TWECO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamanya View Post
Ok, I'll play....

1 - plug for swingarm hole.
2 - routing holders for wiring that goes to the rear electrics. They mount under the right rear panels onto the supporting plastic tray.
3 - The chain bump restrictor and bush. A bitch to get to when the bike is together as the rear exhaust gets in the way. Look on the inside of the frame above and to the rear of the sprocket for the mounting hole.
4 - Header gaskets, they are re-usable.
5 & 9 - Pipes - carb breather pipes. Connect to the carb and routes through the bottom of the airbox.
6 - spanner, adjust fork preload.
7 - T piece for fuel line that attached to the carbs.
8 - Throttle position sensor. Read up about this in the HOW on how to set the voltage. Contributes to smoother running bike. Mounts to side of carbs and sits inside the airbox.
10 - Washers and bolts for the front upper shrouds above the fuel tanks. Not pleasant having to buy new ones from KTM... expensive.
11 - Radiator clamps. One of them might be the clamp for the breather pipe that connects to the top of the airbox.
12 -Might be a centre or side stand bolt?

Thanks for the numbering system - I appreciate the effort in paintshop

The pipe is an overflow pipe for the airbox and runs from the bottom of the airbox down next to the clutch slave.

The clamps are the carb boot clamps, big one on the bottom smaller on the top.

The big washer might be for the inside of the grommets for the rear of the fuel tanks.

Get some rags in the intake ports!

You got me - I zip tied on some shop towels after the photo shoot.

Those carb heater cables have been a source of irritation for some and have been the cause of battery leakage issues.

The '04s did not come with carb heaters and none have been added - I think you are referring to the choke cables (ones with brass ends?)

That's the low octane fuel plug. It should have a wire out either side, someone has snapped the wire off the bottom end.

what should it look like? it has two wires going into that termination. should there be a third?

That's all I got so far. Keep firing photo's of what you're doing.I plan on it..........
cheers bub - thanks for the input.