ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 38 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 08:36 AM   #1456
teledan
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Utah, USA
Oddometer: 49
My buddy just sent me this old pic of one of my rovers:

teledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #1457
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,411
this week's 5th Gear has an Evoque test

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:05 AM   #1458
apeirce
So I was following Andrew
 
apeirce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: CT USA
Oddometer: 2,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
this week's 5th Gear has an Evoque test

M
This thread is about Land Rovers, what is this Evoque you speak of?

Its no Land Rover in my book.
__________________
I have friends, and I know other motorcyclists. But truly the best are friends who are motorcyclists.
apeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:28 PM   #1459
k7
Ancien cyclist
 
k7's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: SOP - south of Phoenix, hotter n hell
Oddometer: 18,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaros1 View Post

One of my favorite all time movies is "Sometimes a Great Notion". Early in the movie, one of the characters, a long-haired hippy type, climbs out of the back of a 109 - you can barely make him out here:

__________________
Cheers,
Gerry
PHX AZ
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:31 PM   #1460
k7
Ancien cyclist
 
k7's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: SOP - south of Phoenix, hotter n hell
Oddometer: 18,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achtung View Post
Hell yeah! I love the PTO off the back. Is that a Rover option or an aftermarket?
I used to have a old brochure that showed all of the accessories that LR sold which were PTO-driven. It was amazing. I'll see if I can locate it.
__________________
Cheers,
Gerry
PHX AZ
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #1461
apeirce
So I was following Andrew
 
apeirce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: CT USA
Oddometer: 2,721
Classic Land Rover video of them at work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJzz8aU3Ztw
__________________
I have friends, and I know other motorcyclists. But truly the best are friends who are motorcyclists.
apeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #1462
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 21,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by apeirce View Post
This thread is about Land Rovers, what is this Evoque you speak of?

Its no Land Rover in my book.


I'm kinda with you dood....fucking ugly too.
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:26 PM   #1463
Lewy
Minus the LC8
 
Lewy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: South Coast, NSW, Strayla
Oddometer: 1,963
The Australian Army has started selling off it's 110's.

This one is way overpriced as apparently nothing at the auction went for over $12k

Perentie 110

I will wait a bit and when they hit about $6k, I will buy one.
Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:45 AM   #1464
teledan
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Utah, USA
Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewy View Post
The Australian Army has started selling off it's 110's.

This one is way overpriced as apparently nothing at the auction went for over $12k

Perentie 110

I will wait a bit and when they hit about $6k, I will buy one.
Didn't those have an Isuzu diesel motor in them?
teledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:00 PM   #1465
HolyCannoli
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Harpers Ferry, WV
Oddometer: 109
I purchased an 83 110 with a 200TDI conversion and brought it over from England for $5500 including shipping and import fees. I kept it for a year but sold it because the truth of the matter is that IMO Land Rover are pieces of shit and parts in the states are stupid expensive.

It was like driving a 1950's Ford tractor.
The romance and the reality are two very different things.

HolyCannoli screwed with this post 04-12-2013 at 01:39 PM
HolyCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:02 PM   #1466
teledan
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Utah, USA
Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyCannoli View Post
I purchased an 83 110 with a 200TDI conversion and brought it over from England for $5500 including shipping and import fees. I kept it for a year but sold it because the truth of the matter is that IMO Land Rover are pieces of shit and parts in the states are stupid expensive.

It was like driving a 1950's Ford tractor.
The romance and the reality are two every different things.
So lets see, you bought a non-US truck with a motor that was never offered in the US that was designed as a utility vehicle and you didn't like it because parts were expensive and it drove like a utility vehicle? That would be like buying a 30 year old dirt bike that was never offered in the US and saying that it sucked because parts were expensive and it didn't ride like an electra glide.
teledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:46 PM   #1467
HolyCannoli
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Harpers Ferry, WV
Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by teledan View Post
So lets see, you bought a non-US truck with a motor that was never offered in the US that was designed as a utility vehicle and you didn't like it because parts were expensive and it drove like a utility vehicle? That would be like buying a 30 year old dirt bike that was never offered in the US and saying that it sucked because parts were expensive and it didn't ride like an electra glide.
Just my .02 cents.

I originally bought it to bring it in and sell it. I was planning on starting a little side business doing this but the priced started getting driven down and the import process wasn't really worth the money.

It was fun off-road but $1000+ for a power steering pump makes you reconsider how hard you are willing to push it especially considering that these trucks weren't all that reliable new.
HolyCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:05 PM   #1468
teledan
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Utah, USA
Oddometer: 49
$1000?!?!? Where were you shopping? Atlantic British has them for $179
teledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:26 PM   #1469
HolyCannoli
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Harpers Ferry, WV
Oddometer: 109
It was one of the Land Rover shops in the north east, this was in 2009 or 2010 so I can't remember which one. I didn't have to buy it as I had a leak in hard line section of the power steering hose but I was astounded at the price. I was unable to purchase a new hydraulic line so I had to have one made.

To be fair my truck was not in the best condition but I still think the defenders are way overpriced for what they are.
HolyCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:41 AM   #1470
teledan
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Utah, USA
Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyCannoli View Post
It was one of the Land Rover shops in the north east, this was in 2009 or 2010 so I can't remember which one. I didn't have to buy it as I had a leak in hard line section of the power steering hose but I was astounded at the price. I was unable to purchase a new hydraulic line so I had to have one made.

To be fair my truck was not in the best condition but I still think the defenders are way overpriced for what they are.
Yeah it's crazy to see how much they go for outside the states compared to here.
teledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014