Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 04:14 AM   #121
TheAnt
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Greetings from South Africa Cape Town...

This has really been a very good read for me and by reading this I almost have the confidence to open up my baby for some TLC...

Enjoy your thumper and many a safe miles!

PS: Next part is to redo the plastics maybe?
TheAnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:00 PM   #122
wayne_l
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
thanks for the build pics and walk thru .Im having issues with chain guide placement on intake side .. do you have a clear pic of how it sits ?

i had the side guide tucked under the top screw in guide but didnt look right then i tried to have the side guide rest against the top but im too short in the chain like its keeping chain to tight . i cant get em above the cam sprockets .
wayne_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:02 AM   #123
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,576
wayne... not sure what you are saying... is the tensioner out? did you take the spring out of the tensioner to reset it?

and rectangular... your tank has 2 tubes out the butt because its a California tank. they have a carbon canister thing that the "49 state" model doesn't have. looks like yer bodywork is a mix & match... that's OK

sounds like a success to me

Beezer screwed with this post 04-10-2013 at 12:13 AM
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:42 PM   #124
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,703
A nice write up- thank you.

A minor correction; the cam chain tensioner is not hydraulic, but a simple spring and ratchet.
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:00 PM   #125
TonezFL
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Congrats! Nice thread, great pictures. I'll be using it as a resource to fix an '88.
TonezFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:56 AM   #126
rectangular OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Awesome! I'm glad that this will be a good resource for people.

Quick update: Getting close to 900 miles on the rebuild! It's been running extremely smooth and hasn't burned any oil.

I sent an oil sample in to Blackstone on the last oil change at 500 miles for analysis. I think the results will be good.
rectangular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:23 PM   #127
jpk1080
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Awesome rebuild. I can truly say i learned a ton from reading that so thank you for doing it. I'm curious how much you think you might have spent on the rebuild. My current situation is a little different than yours, but there are some similiarities as well. I have never owned a motorcycle, but I do like tinkering. A lot of the parts, tools, etc that you used I'm unfamiliar with but the pictures helped out a good deal. I found a 2008 KLR on craigslist. It too has a bad motor with 12k miles on it. Apparently it was run out of oil and the ad claims it just needs a new head etc. He claims nothing else is wrong with it. He wants 1300 for it. If I can get him down below 1k for the bike, I'm curious if i would be able to get this thing back together and running for another 1000. I too am worried about the lower half of the motor, not just the head. I know the 08's were notororious for burning through oil. I also wonder if there are any other potential issues with the bike that could cost me later down the road. I would def. want to do the 685 cc kit as I guess there would be no reason not to. It seems a little overwhelming now only b/c I haven't yet got any experience with this. 1000 though for a bike that just needs a top end doesn't seem bad at all though and I do have a hangar where I can work on the bike. Here is the ad and thanks for the help.

http://asheville.craigslist.org/mcy/3873632417.html
jpk1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:43 PM   #128
Cliffmeister2000
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
There's a 2005 in Franklin on eBay. If you could snag it for under $2,000, it would be road ready now, and well worth the money!
Cliffmeister2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #129
jpk1080
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Funny I literally just found that. Thanks for the heads up bud. Are you close by?
jpk1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:43 PM   #130
Cliffmeister2000
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
No, I'm in Arizona. Just a frequent visitor to eBay, Craigslist, and other sources of KLR parts.
Cliffmeister2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:37 PM   #131
rectangular OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
jpk1080: I bought the bike for $800, and spent $1200 on all the parts. That includes misc gaskets, gasket sealant and shipping. My budget was $1,500 originally. I expanded it to $2k for the big bore kit. And my final spreadsheet was cost $2,000.36. Pretty happy I was able to fairly accurately predict all the misc costs that tend to add up on projects like these.

Update: Getting the bike ready for a nine day ride through the Tetons, Yellowstone and Beartooth pass area. Mechanically, the bike has been superb after the rebuild. I'm really looking forward to this ride. After the trip, I'll most likely be selling it to buy a friends 2008 DR650.
rectangular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 04:25 PM   #132
hotrod44
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
hot cam install

anyone know of any pic's of the hot cam photos and install,tips and yea it's the same as ome/stock pic's.
hotrod44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:06 AM   #133
Stich
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I love this thread!

This is the glorious result of the Google search "klr650 engine rebuild" at number one. And what a nice thread it is! I have read most of the posts but need to read the whole thing. But mainly, I wanted to bump what I consider the best contribution to a forum I have seen in a long while.

Now off to pick up my 1987 KLR 650 in Denver on Tuesday. Blown head gasket there. And, the owner painted the thing flat black. Arrrgh. Well, at least it's not pink. I'm thinking cobalt blue.
Stich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:42 PM   #134
Old-n-slo
Burnin' fossil fuels!

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stich View Post
This is the glorious result of the Google search "klr650 engine rebuild" at number one.
I second that! Got back from a ride from Michigan to Prudhoe Bay and back with my '98 pressurizing the crankcase and blowing all the oil out of the vent into the airbox. Winter project will be a tear-down to try to diagnose the cause. This write-up has made me braver!
JohnD
Old 09-11-2014, 01:42 AM   #135
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,576
the lands crack between the ring grooves & pieces fall out. that lets combustion gas leak past the rings & they blow oil. the rings never break though. I got a couple in my junk pile. I also pulled one down that had a worn piston. the bike had a cruise control that used manifold vacuum pressure for the actuator & the hose came off & vacuumed the rear wheel straight into the carb going across the Denali highway ha ha.... the bore was worn too big for anything short of the 685. speaking of which... the Gen one piston is now an orphan, the rings for Gen II are slightly different, so if you need rings, you need a piston too. don't bother with a Kawi piston... anybody that is that deep into it should just put up the bucks & 685 it. you will be very happy for just a few bucks more (price of a cylinder bore). if you can afford some head work do that too, if not, at least do a little clean up yourself.

edit... hmmm pix of head work in this thread already. at least grind off the bit of exhaust stud that sticks down into the post

Beezer screwed with this post 09-11-2014 at 01:57 AM
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote