ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Have you ridden Pachaug Trail before?
Yes 146 25.04%
No 151 25.90%
I have not but I want to! 291 49.91%
I am scared to ride it.... 10 1.72%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 583. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-10-2013, 09:30 AM   #8626
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,605
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:01 PM   #8627
lester3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
malloy will try to ban that tshirt
lester3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:23 PM   #8628
alcontrast
at least I'm trying

Oddometer: 1,549
I kind of wish sleeveless t-shirts were banned!

In regards to the 110 rear tire.. Last year I was looking for a more aggressive front tire for my F650gs which has an annoying 19" front wheel. I was also looking for a cheaper tire than the TKC80 I usually run up front.. I found a 19" Motorcross rear tire that was bi-directional and had the same dimensions as my TKC so I ordered it.. A Dunlop GeoMax. Probably not DOT approved..

Two things:
First. the layout and design of the knobs on a rear tire are a bit different than a front tire and while I was able to get used to the handling of that tire up front I would NOT do it again. It was real sketchy, especially when it was new, but I also put well over a thousand street miles on it which is not what it's designed for, even on the rear wheel!
Second. The tire was huge compared to my TKC with the same specs on the sidewall. I think they were both 110/80-19. I'm not sure why they were actually so much different.. My F650gs has a low fender that's mounted to a fork brace (standard forks, not USD's) and I had to add 3/4" spacers under the low fender to clear tire and I also had to remove the brake caliper and remount it after the wheel was installed since the tire was too wide to fit around it..
[if anyone wants a used 19" rear tire the knobs are worn but only in one direction and mostly just the center row. Free if you can pick it up]

I'll admit that tire sizes are sort of mysterious to me.. I'm sure there's a reason but I can't figure out why the second number (110/80-19) isn't simply width rather than ratio? And do the first two numbers mean the size of the "carcass" part of the tire rather than the outer edge of the knobs?

When in doubt, gas it. It will either fix the problem, or at the very least end the suspense.

07 650GS / 05 DRZ400S / 72 CB350 (that hasn't run since shortly after I bought it)
alcontrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:44 PM   #8629
sledstorm1
CT RAMBLER'S MC CLUB

Oddometer: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Crashing on ice must be less severe than diving in rocks at 40mph. Or maybe the surgeon thingy.
God dam july dry'd up and baked earth sucks too! I hope I can stay off my right shoulder when I hit in the future...its not if..its when... lol
Old 04-11-2013, 12:05 AM   #8630
sparrow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,139
your up pretty early today. I'm hearing good things about the Hoot's ride in a couple weeks. It's supposed to be completely new this year.
sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:59 AM   #8631
sledstorm1
CT RAMBLER'S MC CLUB

Oddometer: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrow View Post
your up pretty early today. I'm hearing good things about the Hoot's ride in a couple weeks. It's supposed to be completely new this year.
night's! for a couple weeks... hoots would be a possible for me
Old 04-11-2013, 07:40 AM   #8632
DariusFriedel
Slicker than an M59

Oddometer: 1,727
I'm oncall that weekend so will be missing Hoot's and the CnR. :( Last year's Hoots was a bit too short so hopefully they extended it this year. Plus, last year was so much easier than the year before because it was dry. If it had been wet like 2011, the 50 miles would have been just right.

If it wasn't for all the rocks, roots, trees, hills, mud, ruts, logs, sand, and lack of tar, I'd be a damn good off-road rider!

Darius on Dirt
DariusFriedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #8633
swathman
wood tick

Oddometer: 53
One man's tire is another man's tyre...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Q View Post
Getting a new rear 606 for my DRZ, any feelings as to weather a 120 or 130 would be better?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRiedinger View Post
I would personally recommend a 110 if available. I find the 100/110 weighs a fair amount less...
Example: 120/90-18
  • The first number represents the width in millimeters (in this case 120). It's important to note that this is measured to the sidewall. Different knobby tread patterns of dirt bike tires can extend out past the sidewall.
  • The second number refers to height as a percentage of the width. So in the example the width is 108mm (90% of 120).
  • The third number (18 in this instance) is simply the inside diameter of the tire expressed as rim size.
Whether to go w/ a wide vs narrower tire is of course a matter of preference... In general (rubber compound and/or tread pattern notwithstanding) "wider" translates to:
  • Looks sexy...
  • Heavier (adds to rotational inertia)
  • Larger contact patch theoretically means more traction
  • Greater resistance to leaning/cornering
  • Slower handling (less nimble)
I like Chris' advice... Big tires can certainly smooth out the ride a bit but are usually preferred for sandy loose soil conditions.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:03 PM   #8634
alcontrast
at least I'm trying

Oddometer: 1,549
So they do measure the width from the widest part of the sidewall, not from the widest point of the knobbies! That's good to know..

When in doubt, gas it. It will either fix the problem, or at the very least end the suspense.

07 650GS / 05 DRZ400S / 72 CB350 (that hasn't run since shortly after I bought it)
alcontrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:29 PM   #8635
ChrisRiedinger
Specialized

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by swathman View Post
[*]Larger contact patch theoretically means more traction
Actually, this is not the case. Well maybe, but only because the heavier tier has more mass. But in theory, if tire mass was similar across two given tire widths, the narrow(er) tire would have higher traction per square inch of contact patch. Think snow tires, skinny ones cut through the snow and the wider ones tend to 'float'

Physics does not always agree with intuition
ChrisRiedinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #8636
swathman
wood tick

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcontrast View Post
So they do measure the width from the widest part of the sidewall, not from the widest point of the knobbies! That's good to know..
That's probably why your rear tire mounted in front was so much wider even tho sizing numbers were similar... Dang side knobbies!!
Old 04-11-2013, 02:04 PM   #8637
swathman
wood tick

Quote:
Actually, this is not the case. Well maybe, but only because the heavier tier has more mass. But in theory, if tire mass was similar across two given tire widths, the narrow(er) tire would have higher traction per square inch of contact patch. Think snow tires, skinny ones cut through the snow and the wider ones tend to 'float'

You are correct Sir!! That's kinda why I thru the word "theoretically" in there... Poor choice I guess. I didn't mean scientific theory. I mean't commonly perceived notion.

I think the whole "contact patch" idea is kinda flawed anyways when talking dirt bike tires. Really, how much more of a 130/90-18 makes contact to a hard flat surface vs a 110/100-18? To me a wider tire only matters when it's completely engulfed in loose dirt and all that extra surface area might be of value...
Old 04-11-2013, 02:37 PM   #8638
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,098
Quote:

It depends of the surface as you said a skinnier tire cuts down into the snow alowing it to reach firm ground on a high traction surface such as asphalt wider is better which is why nascar doesnt run skinny bicycle tires. wider tires are also used for flotation such as deep botomless mud because teh skinny tire could never dig down to anything
On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died. The only thing that comes to those who wait is old age. Too many dreams.... Not enough time. Not Scared of dying. Not scared of living. Just scared of the pain that separates the two...
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:42 PM   #8639
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,189
yeah but what kind of oil do you use
Old 04-11-2013, 02:43 PM   #8640
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,098
Quote:
Hardpack-you want short soft knobs and a wide tire.Sand/mud-the standard size with a more open spaced knob,that is taller with a stiffer sidewall. This goes for front and back.The idea is to have more tire in conact with hard terrain.Soft or sandy terrain-the narrow tire with wider spaced knobs is cutting in and cleaning better. IF you use a wide tire in sand-it will skate across.
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/859...at-front-tire/
On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died. The only thing that comes to those who wait is old age. Too many dreams.... Not enough time. Not Scared of dying. Not scared of living. Just scared of the pain that separates the two...
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote