Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 09:00 PM   #16
J&K
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendon@TMS View Post
There *are

So since this guy was riding without a helmet, he deserves to die? Nice attitude...

Best wishes to his family, hearing of this news is never good.
Best wishes to his family. I firmly believe it is your right to wear a helmet or not. The government needs to stay out of a lot of things. Tired if everyone deciding what's right and safe for me.
2014 Ktm 1190 R adventure
2003 Ural
J&K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:58 PM   #17
babarnette
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dick View Post
There is too many dumb ones, they are expensive for society and if they of course choose to ride without a helmet and hopefully die for it, cool!
Well, you are certainly living up to your user name.

Helmet use should be a choice but I think anyone who goes without is crazy. I lost a family friend in a low speed crash a few years back. Stopped at the first Florida rest stop, took his helmet off and pulled out. Low-sided in some gravel getting back on the highway and hit his head. Died in the hospital a few days later.
babarnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:37 PM   #18
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,059
I think what some people like myself believe and why I fight helmet laws. Most people that wear a helmet when not required will wear more than just a helmet such as m/c pants, jacket, gloves and boots. Where as the people that wear helmets only because it is the law generally don't wear any other protective gear. They end up surviving the accident with astronomical hospital bills.

So if you aren't going to wear the other gear that goes with it, don't wear a helmet. The costs left behind are much lower. We all know that this is a high risk activity and all make our own choices. Nobody deserves to die.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:05 AM   #19
Tom S OP
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,238
DICK
Quote:
Originally Posted by babarnette View Post
Well, you are certainly living up to your user name.
Wouldn’t be the first time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
So if you aren't going to wear the other gear that goes with it, don't wear a helmet.
That does not seem like good advice. Any protection, especially a helmet, is better than none. Broken arms, legs ribs, & such can heal. Busted skulls with brains spilling out, not so much.
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:57 AM   #20
Alaskahack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
Drunk Uncle

Do you wear a helmet?

Blog: alaskapeeks.blogspot.com

Retired and Riding
Alaskahack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:07 PM   #21
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,059
Brother after my bad wreck a few years ago, I am geared head to toe.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:59 PM   #22
Alaskahack
Adventurer

I kinda thought you did wear a helmet.

No matter what each of us feels about the over powerful government, it is real neat to see very young kids jump in your car and immediately connect their seatbelt, watch the skier, snowboarder, and snowmachiner with thier helmets.

Everything except the head can heal

I live in the valley and have seen real little kids driving all kinds of motor vehicle
Running around all over without helmets but the same kids will immediately put on a seat belt and then to hear someone knocking a helmet. Maybe there should be more laws or maybe our LEO should start stopping and giving the parents, guardians tickets for endangerment

The only thing that makes this a high risk activity is the rider. More people die driving in cages summer and winter up here

Ride safe see you on the road

Bob.

Retired and Riding
Old 04-09-2013, 10:53 PM   #23
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,329
... and the history of the seat belt in the USA is that they wasn't used until there was a law that made people use them. I think it was Ford that first offered them in the mid 50's... nobody wanted them. eventually there were laws to install them in all new cars.... people still wouldn't use them.... until there were laws on people. that eventually made the seat belt accepted. there was a drastic drop in emergency room activities from auto wrecks.

personally, if somebody wants to ride with no hat thats OK with me... but I don't want to have to pay any part of their med bills

btw, there are other parts that can't heal... not just the melon. I know a couple paraplegics.

and lets leave our Dick out of this one
Beezer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:17 PM   #24
J&K
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Not trying to stir the pot but how does someone get into an accident that we don't know and we have to pay their medical bills? I understand sky rocketing medical costs and all. But I have 2 cousins who are doctors and in their words the reason they charge what they do is because of the malpractice insurance and the time they wait to get paid by the insurance companies. So not sure how a stranger without a helmet gets killed and his death becomes our financial responsibility. Anyone in the medical industry explain where I'm wrong?
2014 Ktm 1190 R adventure
2003 Ural
J&K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:49 AM   #25
AzItLies
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&K View Post
Not trying to stir the pot but how does someone get into an accident that we don't know and we have to pay their medical bills? I understand sky rocketing medical costs and all. But I have 2 cousins who are doctors and in their words the reason they charge what they do is because of the malpractice insurance and the time they wait to get paid by the insurance companies. So not sure how a stranger without a helmet gets killed and his death becomes our financial responsibility. Anyone in the medical industry explain where I'm wrong?
Higher Insurance premiums, higher costs for procedures, higher costs for hospital stays, ambulances... basically, anything related to health care. Their cost is passed on to everyone else.

That's where the rest of us foot the bill.

Many don't know this, but in States that don't have helmet laws, you are legally required to have 10k medical insurance over and above the norm. It never gets enforced, or I've never heard of it. But the reason States require it is so they don't have to pay (too much) for the stupid helmetless rider.

Cheers
AzItLies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:39 AM   #26
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,329
and Medicaid for the poor... which most people will be by the time the hospital gets through with you
Beezer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:59 AM   #27
Alaskahack
Adventurer

Medical costs now thats a can of worms.
I've carried medical insurance all of my life. When i worked for companies that didn't have it available. I paid for it out of pocket, and at times I paid up to 600.00 per month

Those medical costs have nothing to do with if your riding ATGATT.

At one time between me and my wife we were carrying two insurances

Has anyone tried to use that Cobra; you can't afford it if your not employed, and the only reason you were able to get it in the first place is because you lost your job.

And if your lucky enough to reach the age of 65 it doesn't matter what kind of super insurance you have, you are automatically enrolled in medicare.

There are still an awful lot of people not working, kids are still being born, people in the middle years are starting to find out they have heart conditions, diabetes,it just goes on and on.

And it doesn't make any difference how much your worth, how much property you have, one major problem your out of luck

Somebody else add some stuff to this

Bob

Retired and Riding
Old 04-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #28
subybaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,888
"Don't judge that poor man who died while juggling chainsaws and machetes- he was doing what he loved!"

Yeah, who knew that would happen.

I support the freedom to act stupid, but it comes with the freedom to be called stupid.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #29
beamertwin
Paul

Oddometer: 1,062
Yes...but may he rest in peace and his family have our condolences

Quote:
Originally Posted by subybaja View Post
"Don't judge that poor man who died while juggling chainsaws and machetes- he was doing what he loved!"

Yeah, who knew that would happen.

I support the freedom to act stupid, but it comes with the freedom to be called stupid.

Pancreatic cancer stinks
beamertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:18 AM   #30
ADVBMR
Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamertwin View Post
Yes...but may he rest in peace and his family have our condolences
That about sums it up. Amen.
IBA #47244
2007 R1200GS; 2006 DL650 V-Strom; 2011 F800R; 2013 CRF250L; 1995 R1100GS (sold); 2006 Ducati Multistrada 620 dark (sold)
ADVBMR is offline   Reply With Quote