Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2013, 08:13 PM   #16
1994klr250
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
For tires the K60 front on my F800GS was brand new when I started the trip. It currently has about 13,000 miles on it with still a couple thousand miles left in it. A rear K60 should be good for about 10k. If you end up needing a tire it will probably be on the way home in the states. I didn't run a K60 on the rear, I had a Battlewing and carried a tkc80 that I swapped out for the Dalton ride and ended up trading it for a Ankee in Montana. If I had to do it again I would of put a K60 on the rear for the trip. Many other riders that I rode with and met along the way had the K60.

1994 KLR250, 2009 F800GS, 2006 KLX351
1994klr250 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:55 AM   #17
Hipster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,686
73datsun,

I sent you a PM about panniers.

Tom
Old 04-10-2013, 11:12 PM   #18
Yukon Jon
Perma-lurker

Oddometer: 16
You're right about the Fjord Express, I was thinking of the Alaksa Marine Highway, (Ferry) as has already been noted and corrected. If you're spending two days in Skagway, as you've mentioned, then shooting out for a day on the Express down to Juneau is a great idea, if the weather cooperates, it's a great trip, and will make for a relaxing day and break from the riding.
While you're in Skagway, if there is one or more cruise ship in town, don't be surprised at the crowds sort of overwhelming the whole town. They'll make it easy to spot the main drag, as it's the one with all the jewelery stores looking to take their money. Once on the strip, keep walking away from the harbour until you are past the bulk of the crowds, and you see the Skagway Brewing Co. If it's busy, skip it for lunch, as they have the best food in town, but get very busy very fast, and come back for dinner once the crowds are back on their boats. Best food and beer on tap in town, far and away. Hell, better than anything on offer in Whitehorse, with a population 30 times the size.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:35 AM   #19
Truenorth2005
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
If you want to free up a little time have you considered the northern route across the Canadian prairies. The route from Winnipeg to Edmonton and on to Alaska would be more direct and more scenic than the southern route to Calgary. You could incorporate the Jasper-Icefields Parkway-Banff loop into your return trip. If you are looking for a stop for the night in western Manitoba we would be more than happy to put you up on our ranch.
Truenorth2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:02 PM   #20
73datsun OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Ok. I've dramatically re-worked my schedule and route. Thanks to the great tips here!

I've broken the map into legs/segments so that you can more easily view them here. Plus google maps keeps freaking out on me, due to all the waypoints.

First leg:
This one is really just a mileage run to get me to the "good stuff." I did take the northern route/icefields, as suggested by truenorth2005 above

Second leg:
Now we are getting to the good stuff. Some great suggestions to do Seward and Haines. So I dropped the side trip to Juneau and opted to take the ferry from Seward to Haines. This also gives me time to explore the towns on both sides.

Third leg:
Anchorage as a base. Having tires mounted at Alaska Leather. Dropping down to Skagway to do sea kayaking. Then back to Anchorage to meet another friend/ADV'r. Head to Talketeena to do a flight tour of Denali. Dropping Fairbanks out of the equation and heading out on the Denali Highway. Hoping to side trip at Maclaren Glacier along the way. Camping likely at Tangle Lake.

Fourth leg:
Richardson Highway North, then east to Top of the World. In to Dawson. Decided not to ride the whole Dempster. Going to head just pass the Arctic Circle. Camp then come back.

Fifth leg:
This remains much the same as previously planned. Highlight being Muncho Lake, Banff and Going to the Sun Road in Glacier National Park

Final leg:
This is where the major reroute came into place. After Glacier, heading through MT, Bear Tooth Pass, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, south and then west, Bonneville Salt Flats, Mt Rushmore, Badlands and then home. There are some long days here. So I may end up adding at least another day.

Time: 28 days, flexibility to add another day or two

Mileage: 9,867 - not include side trips, stops, etc

Oh and the big news, bike is now purchased. 2013 BMW F700GS

Thanks again for all the tips. Hopefully I see some of you out there.
73datsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:05 PM   #21
Rollin'
does it come in black?

Oddometer: 954
My goal was to ride to the southern most and the northern most point. 11,197 miles and I had 16 days to get back to work.

The real adventure started after the Arctic Circle - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=827740

Rollin' is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:58 PM   #22
AspentureRider
Rube

Oddometer: 151
I happen to know that Chris has picked up his new bike... from the lack of thread activity, I'm going to guess that he's either road-happy, or in a fit of farkle-madness...
AspentureRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #23
73datsun OP
Gnarly Adventurer

It's raining here. So I just put 20'ish miles on.

So far:

Love:
ESA
Heated grips

Disgruntled:
Easy to stall and look like a dummy
OEM windscreen is a joke
Hands/wrists were getting tired on even a short ride, need to get risers
Dash/Lack of dash, small nit pick, there is no dash, just a speedo/trip computer hanging out, looks unfinished

Installed:
>Two Brothers M2 Vale Carbon Fiber slip on. (OEM weighed 11lbs, carbon fiber weighs 3lbs), Sounds awesome.
>SW Motech Crash Bars/Engine Guard (what a pain in the ass to install)
>MODOverland rear luggage plate. Managed to strip the damn bolt, no idea what I'm going to do to fix that, the part that's stripped is integrated into the bike. Dummy.
>Barkbusters hand guards

Failed at Installing:
>MODOverland skid plate/bash guard, didn't realize that you needed the BMW skid plate kit. Dummy.

Still need to figure out/purchase/install:
>Touring windscreen that will work with Barkbusters
>Foot pegs
>Handle bar risers
>Garmin 660
>Running power to GiantLoop Fandango
>Mount SpotTracker

Barkbusters

Two Brothers CF slip on, SW Motech bars

Back left stripped position on MOD Overland plate

All in all, I dig it. It's been a long time since I've riden, so it felt great to get back on a bike.

73datsun screwed with this post 05-17-2013 at 06:49 PM
Old 05-17-2013, 10:10 PM   #24
AspentureRider
Rube

Oddometer: 151
That exhaust is just sick- the bike is gorgeous.

Can you put a helicoil in that stripped fitting?
AspentureRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:29 PM   #25
73datsun OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah I'll do heli coil. Not in a huge rush. Just annoying.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:39 PM   #26
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,496
Hey, why no profile?!? How much you into kayaking? It was my passion before turning Ducatisti and I used to go paddling in Seward almost every week for a number of years. You accidentally put Skagway instead of Seward in your 3rd leg. Another Stateside inmate on here is planning on kayaking in Seward too but I'm not sure of what day.

When coming in Tok Fast Eddy's restaurant has a great salad bar and good food and 1mi out of Tok http://thompsonseaglesclaw.com/ is a great place to camp.

Also, have you tried Crampbusters or Throttle Rockers on both grips for a more comfy ride?

Way cool about you doing the flightseeing tour out of Talkeetna.

Good luck and have fun, Mark H.

AKDuc screwed with this post 05-17-2013 at 11:58 PM
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:41 AM   #27
73datsun OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Totally not into kayaking. Just figured that when in Rome...

Yeah, I interchangably use Skagway and Seward.

Have not tried Crampbusters or Throttle Rocker. Will give that a go after I spend some more time with the bike.