Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 02:18 PM   #2896
jmlmjmjm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
AzBob. Nice bike and congratulations! You near the Scottsdale Airpark? I saw one just like yours during lunch yesterday.
jmlmjmjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:01 PM   #2897
AzBob2112
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA200 View Post
Nice report! but hay where did you get all that sunshine. The tree behind
the bike even has leaves
We have not seen the sun in a week and it's 35 degrees.
Whats the build date - 12/1/13??

Have you ever ridden a mid 80's bike ie CB750, GS 850 etc.?
I'm in Arizona, the land of perpetual sun.

I'll have to check the build date.

I learned to ride on a Honda Sport 90 (not mine):

And I have ridden a CB750, but that was many, many years ago, and really just around an airport taxiway, so not much experience there.
AzBob2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:02 PM   #2898
dpg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Great report AZ, thanks for taking the time.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:02 PM   #2899
Unleaded
Unit Train

Oddometer: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav101 View Post
..My dealer is trying to get set up with Web Bike World.....they can not guarantee anything from their web site will fit U.S. models.

So evidently they don't want to stand behind their products for liability reasons. From the Dealers perspective this reads as "buy at your own peril. .....No matter what at some point the Dealer will have to eat return shipping or stick it to the customer if they use them as a supplier.
Sorry for the thread hijack, but doesn't WBW just review products? Or am I misreading your point?
Old 04-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #2900
PAULIBIKER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
I'm not really digging the "pre faded" gauge faces..........

Is it just me?
PAULIBIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:55 PM   #2901
AzBob2112
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULIBIKER View Post
I'm not really digging the "pre faded" gauge faces..........

Is it just me?
Pre-faded? Are you referring to slight green tinge they have?
Old 04-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #2902
AzBob2112
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unleaded View Post
Sorry for the thread hijack, but doesn't WBW just review products? Or am I misreading your point?
Dunno, but you can go to rakuten.com with the part numbers and find most stuff. A vendor there has the two rear carrier kits and the top box.

Top box:
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/k...tem/08l55-mgc/

Generic attachment kit:
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/h...item/10056240/

Specific attachment kit for Honda top box (both attachment kits are necessary, AFAIK):
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/h...item/10056239/

And, the rear carrier, for about $100 less than U.S., but probably more when you consider shipping (no idea what shipping would be):
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/k...m/cb11-mgc000/
Old 04-11-2013, 04:25 PM   #2903
Dav101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unleaded View Post
I'm speaking of Japan.webike.net
Dav101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:52 PM   #2904
PAULIBIKER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzBob2112 View Post
Pre-faded? Are you referring to slight green tinge they have?

Yes.................
PAULIBIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:12 PM   #2905
Oldgoat01
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Great report AZ, thanks for taking the time.
+1 Thanks
Those of us still waiting on ABS must live vicariously through others. I am, however, still waiting for you early birds to get the pannier situation sorted out before my bike arrives.
Oldgoat01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:04 PM   #2906
The other Ferret
Motorcycle nut

Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzBob2112 View Post
OK, so, I joined the forum so I could post this...

I picked up my CB1100 last Friday (April 5th). My bike is #0071. I am 6'0", ~220lbs, with 32" inseam. I've been riding on-road for the past three years. My other bike is a 2008 Honda CBR1000RR. I am 38 years old.

With that out of the way, lemme give my ride report:

I picked up my bike with exactly 0.3 miles on it and road it home, approximately 26 miles. Unfortunately, I was not able to test ride one before I could buy one because my dealer doesn't do demo's (I also purchased my CBR from them, without a test ride). I got my bike for several hundred under MSRP, including a $100 on the rear carrier, when it comes in.

On the ride home, I liked the seating position: no more bent over like on the CBR. The pegs are in a great place for me to have a nice knee bend, and stay on the balls of my feet, like I'm used to. I did not find they hinder my ability to put my feet down; I can flat-foot no problem, being six feet tall.

After I got home, I basically immediately went right out and rode around for about a half an hour with my girlfriend on the back. I adjusted the rear preload to position 4 (one from hardest) and adjusted the front preload three turns toward hard from stock. For two-up, this was fine. (I have since dropped the front preload back a half turn and it seems to be perfect for just me) Together we weigh approximately 380lbs., which is RIGHT at the load limit. Those thinking of doing two-up touring on this bike are going to be over the load limit (379 lbs.).

The default placement of the adjustable levers is too close for me, and the default slack in the throttle cable was way too high for me. I have since adjusted the levers to position 4 and adjusted the throttle cable to 1mm slack (just like I have my CBR) -- I find I can control the throttle MUCH better this way.

The wind blast is about the same as my CBR (with double-bubble screen) up to about 70mph. At 80mph, it becomes a bit of a thing to deal with, but not impossible. I wouldn't want to ride at 80+mph for any kind of time, though (the speed limit on the section of highway near where I live is 75), as it does take some effort to keep one's body in the position one wants.

The bike handles very well. The wide bars make slow turns very easy, and fast sweepers are just as easily handled. You will run out of rear tire before you get into the peg feelers, however, as the tire is skinny -- I have no chicken strips already. One thing I would like, though, is a steering damper. The front-end gets a bit nervous at 80+mph when you move around on the bike in a straight line.

The transmission is, in a word, sublime. As good as the race-ready one on my CBR, clutchless upshifts after second are easy. I tried clutchless upshifting 1-2, but it gets stuck sometimes, so I stopped doing it. Similarly, rev-matched downshifts are a breeze, though second gear is a bit tall (comparatively), so a bit of conscious effort is required. I am somewhat spoiled by the slipper clutch on my CBR.

The fuel gauge. Ah, the fuel gauge. My CBR doesn't have a fuel gauge. Instead, it has an ingenious fuel usage count-up thing in tenths of a gallon once it hits a certain point that goes to .9, and after that, the engine quits. 100% accurate 100% of the time. The CB, not so much. At this point, I am inclined to consider the fuel gauge a mild reminder that I may need fuel and instead rely on the trip meter. On my last fill up, I rode with the red/black bar flashing wildly for at least ten miles and still put slightly more than 3 gallons in the tank. Oh, also, the fuel tank makes it insanely easy to spill gas all over the beautiful paint. I've done it a couple of times now.

Other things I can think of: the mirrors are large and well-placed. I set my left one to see behind me and my right to see the right lanes (I'm usually to everyone's left, so this works for me 99% of the time) and I can see everything (head checks are still important though!). The grips are a bit hard and have what I consider a strange pattern -- after riding for two hours straight, they began to hurt my hands a little. The seat is comfortable, but after that two hour ride, my butt was a bit sore. The engine/exhaust is very quiet. I notice that the engine makes quite a bit different noise depending on whether it is hot or not (not cold vs. operating temperature, but rather at operating temperature but cool [e.g. riding around at a steady pace] and operating temperature but hot [e.g. stopping at lots of traffic lights/stop signs]). And I do hear the fins twang when it cools down.

I did a charity ride on Saturday with it for several hours with stops in between. The ride was mostly Harley riders. As I pulled into the registration at the start of the ride, I was somewhat surprised to see several of the hardened Harley riders gather around and take a look. Some even mentioned how they liked the throwback look. Although someone did quip about how do I tell it's running, since the engine is so quiet (which is how I prefer it).

Besides the charity ride, and the two hour ride I did the first night, I have commuted back and forth to work on it this week. It handles great in traffic. The big, well-placed mirrors and nice balance make it very easy to sling around on both the highway and local streets. I did have two people attempt to occupy my lane the first two days, which almost never happens on my CBR, which I attribute to riding with my yellow high beam on at all times, so I will be riding with the high beam on from now on. I appreciate that Honda included the euro switch gear on the American version -- something we don't usually get (the flash-to-pass switch and the hazard light switch). Oh, and the horn is nice and loud.

One last thing: the brakes. One my initial ride, the brakes seemed to be sub-par. That could be because I was riding two-up, or because I'm used to the stainless steel lines with street/race pads I have on my CBR. However, now that I have nearly 500 miles on the bike, the brakes seem to be where I would expect them to be for this bike, which is to say they provide all the stopping power I would think I can make use of.

I waited for several years for this bike. I answered the initial customer survey from Honda about two years ago, asking current Honda owners about an air-cooled inline four cylinder standard bike, and if I would buy one if it was available in the United States. I guess I did everyone a favor by saying yes to that survey.

Zero miles on ODO:

0.3 miles on trip ODO:

In the driveway:

With big brother:

-Bob
Nice report and pictures.

I've found Honda to be really skimpy with their Gvwr s. I also have an St 1300 and I'm not particularly big at 5'7 180 and my wife is about the same, yet when we ride two up we are dangerously close to being overloaded. I've heard the same thing from Goldwing riders.
The other Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:27 PM   #2907
Grousedog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Sorry about this pathetic post but it's been a long week trying to get the bike back home. It came in about a week ago but the dealer said the title or certificate of origin comes in the mail, not with the bike. I checked back every day and it was not in until today. I think they just wanted to keep it on the stand right as you walk in the door. Insurance companies suck, I know, I work for one. I tried to get my policy set up with my own company so that the premium could be taken out of my check in small amounts. So I went through the whole process and come to find out they wanted to charge me $1600.00 for the year. After I canceled this I called Floe and got it for $518.00 but then I had to run around and get the registration form stamped (driving and hour) and then off the registry of motor vehicles. After waiting 1 hour I got to the window and they only accept cash or check. I should have seen the very small print on the wall before I waited an hour so that's my fault but still aggravating to the max. I got to the dealer tonight and rode it home with my snowmobile helmet, gardening gloves and dressy leather coat.

It's been a long time since I've ridden on the street but I am no stranger to motorcycles. I'm 47 yrs old, 6'1", 215 and 33" inseam. (used to be 6'2" and 180) but apparently I'm getting old. I think I will look into the taller seat but it is not a must. I felt very comfortable on my short ride home. I also like the pegs back a little. If they were right under my knee it would be too small for me. All my worrying about the height were unfounded.

Take this noob report for what it is .......a guy who got back into street riding just because of this bike.

Grousedog screwed with this post 04-11-2013 at 08:08 PM
Grousedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:40 PM   #2908
Guth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grousedog View Post
Take this noob report for what it is .......a guy who got back into street riding just because of this bike.
Awesome!

CB1100 Forum
Guth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:43 PM   #2909
vfrpaul98
n00b

Oddometer: 7
big red

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vfrpaul98/8642035488/
vfrpaul98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:49 PM   #2910
Guth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
We use State Farm for everything. When I called up my agent's office, the bike was not in their system so they worked up a policy for me after looking over the bike on Honda's website. I'm paying $305/yr. with a $100/$250 comp/coll deductible which I thought was a great price.

CB1100 Forum
Guth is offline   Reply With Quote